Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #691 of 20,644
Typically you will not have anywhere near enough current to drive headphones properly, and the high impedance of the line-out ports will likely cause the headphones frequency response to shift in unpleasant ways. Categorically it's not recommended to do this at all, including from the designer of the DAVE.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #692 of 20,644
Typically you will not have anywhere near enough current to drive headphones properly, and the high impedance of the line-out ports will likely cause the headphones frequency response to shift in unpleasant ways. Categorically it's not recommended to do this at all, including from the designer of the DAVE.

As long as the manufacturer tells me that it won't harm my DAC, then I'm fine trying it.

I have done this with the Ether C 1.1 and modded HE6. I didn't notice any shift in the frequency response, but the power was insufficient to power the bass on the HE6. Apart from that, the results were rather good. Transparency, detail, dynamics all seemed a touch better than via my headamp (V281) or the preamp/poweramp setup for the HE6.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #693 of 20,644
As long as the manufacture tells me that it won't harm my DAC, then I'm fine trying it.

I have done this with the Ether C 1.1 and modded HE6. I didn't notice any shift in the frequency response, but the power was insufficient to power the bass on the HE6. Apart from that, the results were rather good. Transparency, detail, dynamics all seemed a touch better than via my headamp (V281) or the preamp/poweramp setup for the HE6.

I don't think it would harm the DAC at all, but when a manufacturer makes the headphone out impedance as low as possible to have a clean linear output with a variety of headphones and enough current then I'd, personally, rather use that over the high impedance line-out meant to feed the signal to an external amp.

To each their own though. Enjoy.

:beerchug:

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #694 of 20,644

The Dave can drive headphones like the HD 800 and HD 800 S no problem. What would the GS-X MKII possibly add?

The only time the Dave needs an amplifier is for speakers.

If you want to drive a power hungry pair of orthos (like the LCD-4s or HE-6s) or electrostatic headphones...those are 2 reasons why you'd want an external amplifier with more power.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #695 of 20,644
If I am listening to an efficient HD like say an Ether or HEX for instance one wouldnt need an additional external amp...if one listens to an LCD-4 without one chances are he or she will never know how good it really is.......

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #696 of 20,644

If you want to drive a power hungry pair of orthos (like the LCD-4s or HE-6s) or electrostatic headphones...those are 2 reasons why you'd want an external amplifier with more power.

And amps can change the tonality too. My V281 is neutral/warm. My Taurus Mk2 was neutral/bright. You get quite different results tonally with those amps. HD800 with Taurus is kinda nasty to my ears, but works much better with a V281. Reverse that with an LCD product.

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #697 of 20,644

And amps can change the tonality too. My V281 is neutral/warm. My Taurus Mk2 was neutral/bright. You get quite different results tonally with those amps. HD800 with Taurus is kinda nasty to my ears, but works much better with a V281. Reverse that with an LCD product.

Good point there too. Just finished up my review of the V280 (should be out in a month or so) and I agree with your assessments here.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #701 of 20,644
  I finally have all three in house.

Whatever your preference; this is a privilege. 

Very interested any comparisons you might care to share. That's an impressive array of hardware
wink_face.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #703 of 20,644
Just arrived a few minutes ago....so far me like very much 
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #705 of 20,644
That's a nice setup. Make sure that knight stays vigilant. You wouldn't want any Merry Men or other undesirables sniffing around your Utopia.
ph34r.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL will do  !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back