Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 24, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #571 of 1,765
How do these sound compared to the Nad viso hp50? Really like the FSP but I can't find them at a good price. 350 usd... While the Nad viso I can get for 280 locally (manila). Looking for a nice closed set to compliment my he500.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

May 24, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #572 of 1,765
Two questions plz!
Are the FSP warmer sounding than the ath-m50? Are they also harder to drive?
My second question
Do these have more resolution and detail than the dt-1350?
I am asking these questions because I have both. I find the ath-m50 too bright. Although I like the dt-1350's resolution and detail, I still seek more of that from my next purchase.

May 24, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #573 of 1,765
Two questions plz!
[1] Are the FSP warmer sounding than the ath-m50? [2] Are they also harder to drive?
My second question
[3] Do these have more resolution and detail than the dt-1350?

1. No. It's cooler.
2. No. It's easier.
3. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

May 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #575 of 1,765
Thank u
So u mean brighter by cooler?
Means I will experience even more fatigue

It's less dark than M50, but there's nothing bright about it that causes fatigue. It has a very pleasing tonal balance.

May 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #576 of 1,765
How do these sound compared to the Nad viso hp50? Really like the FSP but I can't find them at a good price. 350 usd... While the Nad viso I can get for 280 locally (manila). Looking for a nice closed set to compliment my he500.

The NAD HP50 are impressive headphones for their price point. They are notably warmer than the FSP, and at the same time, a little brighter. If you ask me, Mr. Paul Barton has sprinkled the HP50’s treble with shimmering pixie dust.  Despite these attributes, however, the HP50 is still a fairly neutral pair of headphones.  Overall, I prefer the FSP though.  No other closed-back headphone (at this price point at least) will give you more clarity and transparency. What’s more, the FSP’s bass response is topnotch; it’s taut and impactful and this combination of qualities never fails to please me. (The HP50 is just a tad loose in the bass department.)

Look at it this way: the FSP personifies neutrality and clarity, while, the HP50’s sound-signature might best be described as admirably natural.  Because of this, and because, the HP50’s ear-pads don’t torture my ears, I prefer them for longer listening sessions.   Before buying the HP50, I would have bet my life that the whole “RoomFeel” spiel was just another marketing gimmick. But the NAD HP50 genuinely produces an open sound, tonally similar to my home system. (I’m using B&W 685 speakers paired with a fairly powerful Marantz receiver, btw.)  So I have to say, the RoomFeel tuning technology is no gimmick.

Both the FSP and HP50 image exceptionally well, but the HP50 renders male vocals with surprising intimacy and forwardness (you’ll either love this or hate this.)  Surprisingly, the HP50’s mid-range forwardness doesn’t compromise its ability to produce a realistic and well-rounded sound-stage. When gaming or watching movies, I always reach for the HP50; they render spatial cues with incredible fidelity and accuracy reminiscent of the Sennheiser HD 600.   So if you’re a big gamer or movie buff, the HP50 will serve you best.  But if you’re a studio engineer, or if you desire exceptional neutrality, or if you desire control and impact with the lower frequencies, then there's no contest. Spend the extra money on the FSP.

Hope this helps.

May 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #577 of 1,765
I fully agree with MadMollusk (I have Focal Spirit pro , Spirit Classic & NAD HP 50 currently on my desk) except maybe for "exceptionnal" image. Soundstage & Image are very good ( especially for the NAD) but don't play in the same league than the better headphones fort imaging & soundstage. IMO. 

May 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #578 of 1,765
Thanks for the inputs. How about the Nad vs FSP in terms of sound isolation? My office room has a noisy air-conditioner. I feel like my he500 setup has a high noise floor because of this lol. One reason why I am looking for a closed set. My srh940 is just too bright when paired with my modi and magni.. Which is left in the office. Also looking to use either the Nad or FSP when watching movies in bed on my tablet. Can't have major leakage since I have a 1 year old in the room.

I also just wanna stop switching from my px100 for watching movies to my se425 when I want to listen to music at night.

May 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #579 of 1,765
  I fully agree with MadMollusk (I have Focal Spirit pro , Spirit Classic & NAD HP 50 currently on my desk) except maybe for "exceptionnal" image. Soundstage & Image are very good ( especially for the NAD) but don't play in the same league than the better headphones fort imaging & soundstage. IMO.

True! I should have said that they image exceptional well for their price point! Or that they were far superior to other closed-back headphones between $300 and $400 USD. The AKG K550, for example, or Denon D600 just to name a few. I wouldn't want anyone to think that these headphones were capable of competing with the likes of Sennheiser HD 800.  Now there's a headphone that blows me away with its imaging 
biggrin.gif
  Thanks Sorrodje.

May 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #580 of 1,765
Both Headphones isolate very well but not as well as my Signature pro . I think you shouldn't worry about your air-conditionner or about any leakage :wink:

May 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #583 of 1,765
Where is team Focal Spirit Classic?

I've had my pair for a week or so now and I'm really, really enjoying them.  They are a welcome change from my Q701s.  Have debated selling the Q701s for a pair of FSPs, but I can't see it being justifiable.

I mostly just want to buy a pair of FSP because they look so good, but I imagine they sound very close to the FSC?  Maybe someone who has both can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back