Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,166 of 6,742
My Elears should be here tomorrow and I plan to use the Mojo primarily. Here's a link to the cable that someone in an earlier post recommended. Looks very nice for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYS3MM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #3,167 of 6,742
I had the Dharma's and loved them - one mod I made was putting Audeze lambskin pads on - helped the bass tremendously.  I agree on the high's of the Dharma - best I had heard until recently with the Pioneer SE Master 1. 

I will give that a try. My only complaint with the Dharma is the fit. It is designed for a bigger head than mine. I wear it with a baseball hat and then it fits perfectly.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #3,168 of 6,742
I will give that a try. My only complaint with the Dharma is the fit. It is designed for a bigger head than mine. I wear it with a baseball hat and then it fits perfectly.

By the way, if you try Audeze pads they will not attach like the Dharma stock pads do - I used the double stick tape that come with the Vegans/Lambskins, trimmed down, to attach to the cups. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,169 of 6,742
  By the way, if you try Audeze pads they will not attach like the Dharma stock pads do - I used the double stick tape that come with the Vegans/Lambskins, trimmed down, to attach to the cups. 

10-4... thank you

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,170 of 6,742
I'm sad to report noticeable distortion issues and rattling in the left driver while listening to some songs including Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" near the end. I'm not sure what to do. Is this expected or faulty? 

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,171 of 6,742
Definitely not normal.  There were issues with early production models with both Elear and Utopia, and Focal did a recall to address this.  Maybe you got one of the early pairs by accident?  Either way, definitely return them/ask for a replacement.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #3,172 of 6,742
I am giving the Elear a trial run and want to post some initial impressions. So far I have tested it on a Violectric HPA V100 desk top amp connected to my turntable setup, and on the iPhone 7 Plus using Tidal and alternating between the DragonFly Red and FiiO A5.

Presentation/Design:

The box housing the Elear, while not made of luxurious materials like leather or satin lining, has a functional design and the thick and plentiful foam inside gives you confidence that the headphone will be well protected from damage or blemishes. I also like the magnet clasps, and the side compartment for the unwieldy and thick cable.   The box is not practical for portable purposes, but a nice addition for the home set up.  As far as the design of the Elear itself, the cups have a bit of French flair but it is elegant and fairly understated. The overall look is one of both classic and modernistic touches. The rather large "Focal" lettering on both sides of the headband sort of detracts from the elegance but I guess they have to put their stamp on it in some fashion.  The build is of high quality, with premium materials.  There is a bit of creaking when you swivel the cups.  However, I feel this is a natural by-product of flexibility and not so much a result of imperfect construction.    The cable is much too long and heavy but there are many after market options.  I also understand that newer stock has a shorter cable. 

Comfort:

This is a real strength of the Elear.  It is remarkably comfortable, and while it weighs 450 grams, it feels much lighter.  The clamp pressure is perfect for me, although I can see why some people might prefer a more snug fit, especially if they are used to grooving to their music or are up and about while listening.  The pads are roomy and deep, and the material soft and not stifling (like some velour and leather pads can feel over extended listening sessions).  I am pleasantly surprised by the comfort.  Just superb, one of the more comfortable headphones I've tried.

Sound:

This is a tricky headphone to pin down.  The easy description is that it has a visceral, dynamic, and meaty sound, and that is consistent with what many on this thread have said.  However, it is still very much capable of presenting detail and intimacy, and it straddles the line between analytical and "fun" quite well, the latter trait implying a substantial bass impact, which the Elear can definitely project on tracks.  For example, I was listening to "Come Together" by The Beatles, and the bass was like a punch in the gut (a good thing).  What I struggle with, however, is I find myself constantly adjusting the volume on songs. Of course, this could be more about the quality of the music file and the mastering of the particular track but it is not something I've encountered much before on other headphones.  Also, there are times when I find the sound a touch congested and woolly but it is only noticeable when immediately contrasting with the other open headphone I currently have, the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro.   It falls a little short of the refinement and clarity of the 1990.  Nonetheless, I am still very much impressed with the sound quality of the Elear.  It is authoritative and exciting and approximates the experience of listening to speakers, which is not surprising given Focal's reputation and engineering prowess in speaker design and construction. 

I have to spend more time with the Elear before I make an informed decision on whether to keep it or not, but I already have a sense as to why it has such a great reputation.  It is a fantastic headphone, and is reasonably priced.  The only downside is that the Elear has me really curious about the Utopia!  That must be one special headphone.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #3,173 of 6,742
Very nice review the Elear's are a great value no doubt & there sq is amazing..enjoy

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #3,174 of 6,742
  I am giving the Elear a trial run and want to post some initial impressions. So far I have tested it on a Violectric HPA V100 desk top amp connected to my turntable setup, and on the iPhone 7 Plus using Tidal and alternating between the DragonFly Red and FiiO A5.

Presentation/Design:

The box housing the Elear, while not made of luxurious materials like leather or satin lining, has a functional design and the thick and plentiful foam inside gives you confidence that the headphone will be well protected from damage or blemishes. I also like the magnet clasps, and the side compartment for the unwieldy and thick cable.   The box is not practical for portable purposes, but a nice addition for the home set up.  As far as the design of the Elear itself, the cups have a bit of French flair but it is elegant and fairly understated. The overall look is one of both classic and modernistic touches. The rather large "Focal" lettering on both sides of the headband sort of detracts from the elegance but I guess they have to put their stamp on it in some fashion.  The build is of high quality, with premium materials.  There is a bit of creaking when you swivel the cups.  However, I feel this is a natural by-product of flexibility and not so much a result of imperfect construction.    The cable is much too long and heavy but there are many after market options.  I also understand that newer stock has a shorter cable. 

Comfort:

This is a real strength of the Elear.  It is remarkably comfortable, and while it weighs 450 grams, it feels much lighter.  The clamp pressure is perfect for me, although I can see why some people might prefer a more snug fit, especially if they are used to grooving to their music or are up and about while listening.  The pads are roomy and deep, and the material soft and not stifling (like some velour and leather pads can feel over extended listening sessions).  I am pleasantly surprised by the comfort.  Just superb, one of the more comfortable headphones I've tried.

Sound:

This is a tricky headphone to pin down.  The easy description is that it has a visceral, dynamic, and meaty sound, and that is consistent with what many on this thread have said.  However, it is still very much capable of presenting detail and intimacy, and it straddles the line between analytical and "fun" quite well, the latter trait implying a substantial bass impact, which the Elear can definitely project on tracks.  For example, I was listening to "Come Together" by The Beatles, and the bass was like a punch in the gut (a good thing).  What I struggle with, however, is I find myself constantly adjusting the volume on songs. Of course, this could be more about the quality of the music file and the mastering of the particular track but it is not something I've encountered much before on other headphones.  Also, there are times when I find the sound a touch congested and woolly but it is only noticeable when immediately contrasting with the other open headphone I currently have, the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro.   It falls a little short of the refinement and clarity of the 1990.  Nonetheless, I am still very much impressed with the sound quality of the Elear.  It is authoritative and exciting and approximates the experience of listening to speakers, which is not surprising given Focal's reputation and engineering prowess in speaker design and construction. 

I have to spend more time with the Elear before I make an informed decision on whether to keep it or not, but I already have a sense as to why it has such a great reputation.  It is a fantastic headphone, and is reasonably priced.  The only downside is that the Elear has me really curious about the Utopia!  That must be one special headphone.

Loved your review.  Couldn't agree more, that setting the volume is the hardest part of this headphone.  I have made that comment 20 times in this thread as I am constantly befuddled by the Elear.  My relationship with it can only be described as complicated.  I love it, hate it, enjoy it and know I can't live without it.  When I set the volume right on my favorite music, it sounds so realistic and visceral.  When I don't, fatigue sets in and I sense a graininess and recession of the mids.  Round and round, back and forth I go.  I guess that makes them complex and wonderful in their own right.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #3,175 of 6,742
Loved your review.  Couldn't agree more, that setting the volume is the hardest part of this headphone.  I have made that comment 20 times in this thread as I am constantly befuddled by the Elear.  My relationship with it can only be described as complicated.  I love it, hate it, enjoy it and know I can't live without it.  When I set the volume right on my favorite music, it sounds so realistic and visceral.  When I don't, fatigue sets in and I sense a graininess and recession of the mids.  Round and round, back and forth I go.  I guess that makes them complex and wonderful in their own right.

Thanks, I can definitely understand why you would have those feelings. The Elear seems a bit mercurial but that's probably part of its appeal. Never boring or polite.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,176 of 6,742
  Definitely not normal.  There were issues with early production models with both Elear and Utopia, and Focal did a recall to address this.  Maybe you got one of the early pairs by accident?  Either way, definitely return them/ask for a replacement.

When you shake the left driver you get the feeling there's something loose inside. Can anybody please shake their Elear and tell me if they hear this rattling sound? 

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #3,177 of 6,742
I have been listening to a variety of bass heavy tracks and it appears the left driver can't handle bass at high volume. There's cracks, pops, and distortion. I connected my HD800 to the same chain at the same volume playing the same tracks and there was no distortion. Did I get a defective Elear? 

Tracks used: 

- Peter Gabriel's Don't give up (Elear pops and distorts near the end) 
- Thomas Newman's Marine (American Beauty) at 00:37 

DAC: Schiit Yggdrasil 
Amp: Schiit Ragnarok 

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #3,178 of 6,742
I have been listening to a variety of bass heavy tracks and it appears the left driver can't handle bass at high volume. There's cracks, pops, and distortion. I connected my HD800 to the same chain at the same volume playing the same tracks and there was no distortion. Did I get a defective Elear? 

Tracks used: 

- Peter Gabriel's Don't give up (Elear pops and distorts near the end) 
- Thomas Newman's Marine (American Beauty) at 00:37 

DAC: Schiit Yggdrasil 
Amp: Schiit Ragnarok 

Your left driver will soon die in 2 weeks.
Time to contact your dealer for replacement. Same thing with my Utopia right driver.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #3,179 of 6,742
Watching this thread over a few weeks, wondering if these might be a really nice mid-price can upgrade, some adverse reactions keep popping up.

$1k cans that have significantly variable sonic presentations from one to the next within the same make and model? I've had and listened to lots of "mid-fi purgatory" cans that are remarkably consistent, even over years of manufacture. Heck, even sub $100 Grado SR60s all sound the same (whether one likes that sound or not).

Then there seem to be enough breakage and recall issues to make one wonder how "lucky" he/she needs to be after plunking down $1k.

I really felt the Elear I spent some time with at our last meet was articulate, neutral, and very pleasant with my rig. But, I think I'll wait in the weeds for a while. No rush, they'll still be available in months or a year from now. Thanks to all posters for your experience + or -, that's what makes head-fi great!

IMO, YMWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back