Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #3,151 of 6,742
  Anybody tried the silver dragon cables with the Elear? is there a noticeable improvement in SQ? 

Not with the Elear, but I do have a set of Blue Dragon's  I've tried with the HD650 and really liked the sound quality difference - just feels more dynamic. I also have a pair of Cardas Clear cables too, on both the HD650 and LCD3 and they are my favorites, but the Moon Audio cables aren't super far behind.​

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,152 of 6,742
Thanks for your experience. I didn't notice that when I demo'd but I did not own the Mojo. My Elear sounds best with my desktop amp for sure. I have an Oppo HA-2se and it sounds good not great with my Elear. My Leckerton portable does much better with it. Thanks again...

You're welcome. 
Last night I did some A/B testing between the mojo and my desktop rig and was quite surprised by the result. As I said, bass performance is not as good with the Mojo, understand weaker attack and slam, but mostly a rolled-off decay. Beside that, I was fairly impressed by the Mojo that I'm still discovering. Details retrieval, spacial cue and overall smoothness are better with the Yggdrasil but man... the Mojo is not far behind. What an impressive piece of tech! Vocal are even better on the Mojo than the Yggy! Seriously impressive little thing. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #3,153 of 6,742

You're welcome. 
Last night I did some A/B testing between the mojo and my desktop rig and was quite surprised by the result. As I said, bass performance is not as good with the Mojo, understand weaker attack and slam, but mostly a rolled-off decay. Beside that, I was fairly impressed by the Mojo that I'm still discovering. Details retrieval, spacial cue and overall smoothness are better with the Yggdrasil but man... the Mojo is not far behind. What an impressive piece of tech! Vocal are even better on the Mojo than the Yggy! Seriously impressive little thing. 

I have been doing the same.  A/B testing between my desktop rig which currently is comprised of Metrum Musette DAC and Audeze Dekcard AMP section only against my Oppo HA-2 and Leckerton UHA-6S.  I find my desktop rig has much more control over the dynamics of the Elear.  Especially the bottom end, while the upper registors are a bit less fatiguing.  You motivated me to check it out.  Seeing that I almost never listen to my Elears anywhere other than my desk, I am set up for success.  I have a Wells Audio Milo en route which will start the process all over again.  I am going to audition a Mojo and 2cute at Canjam.  I need more time with both.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3,154 of 6,742

You're welcome. 

I have also been doing A/B tests with my EnigAcoustics Dharma D1000's and Elears.  As dynamic as the Elear is, the midrange especially with vocals is a touch off.  The Elear sounds a bit distant and hollow compared to the magical and liquid midrange of the Dharma.  I love my Elear, but the Dharma's present a more realistic and tonally correct vocal experience.  Instrumentally, the Elear is phenomenal.  Vocally, not as much.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #3,155 of 6,742
  I have also been doing A/B tests with my EnigAcoustics Dharma D1000's and Elears.  As dynamic as the Elear is, the midrange especially with vocals is a touch off.  The Elear sounds a bit distant and hollow compared to the magical and liquid midrange of the Dharma.  I love my Elear, but the Dharma's present a more realistic and tonally correct vocal experience.  Instrumentally, the Elear is phenomenal.  Vocally, not as much.

​I think the midrange is a bit subdued relative to the rest of the spectrum, the proverbial U shaped sound. I find that this does seem to affect vocals more than instrumentals for some reason. The "solution" I've found is to turn up the volume a bit until the midrange is more pronounced but where the lows and highs are not overpowering to one's ears. It's playing with the volume control and trying different levels.This helps but doesn't resolve it entirely but it's enough of an improvement that it's no longer an issue and I don't focus on it. I'm willing to accept this because I'm aware that (1) no headphone is perfect and every headphone has some sort of a negative characteristic, and (2) the Elear has so many strong positives (great clarity, tremendous dynamics, among others) that they more than offset this characteristic.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,156 of 6,742

​I think the midrange is a bit subdued relative to the rest of the spectrum, the proverbial U shaped sound. I find that this does seem to affect vocals more than instrumentals for some reason. The "solution" I've found is to turn up the volume a bit until the midrange is more pronounced but where the lows and highs are not overpowering to one's ears. It's playing with the volume control and trying different levels.This helps but doesn't resolve it entirely but it's enough of an improvement that it's no longer an issue and I don't focus on it. I'm willing to accept this because I'm aware that (1) no headphone is perfect and every headphone has some sort of a negative characteristic, and (2) the Elear has so many strong positives (great clarity, tremendous dynamics, among others) that they more than offset this characteristic.

I agree with you that almost every headphone has strengths and weaknesses.  There are no perfect pair.  That being said, it comes down to how you perceive the strengths and weaknesses.  Are they palatable or not... I get challenged when I have to turn up the volume to mitigate the recessed midrange as I then get fatigued.  I definitely love the Elear, I am just finding others I like more.  The dharma's bass isn't anywhere close to what the Elear is, but the midrange is so wonderful I can deal with it.  But it is the Dharma's handling of the upper frequencies that have my heart.  So much air, sparkle and extension.  Without a trace of sibilance.  At least to my ears.  When I listen to jazz or psychadelic guitar I find the Elear to be absolutely perfect.  When I bought it, it was my daily driver.  Now more specific... You are right though.  Clarity and dynamics are at the very top for its price.  Very few headphones in that price range do as many things so well.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3,157 of 6,742
geoffalter11
"Clarity and dynamics are at the very top for its price.  Very few headphones in that price range do as many things so well." Very well said couldn't say it better I agree the Elear's are amazing..

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,158 of 6,742
  geoffalter11
"Clarity and dynamics are at the very top for its price.  Very few headphones in that price range do as many things so well." Very well said couldn't say it better I agree the Elear's are amazing..

How does your Elear like the WA22?  I am looking for a tube amp this weekend.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,159 of 6,742
I auditioned the Elears today at my local dealer. Had wanted to compare to the LCD2 also on my shortlist but sadly they only had the LCD3 in stock. The LCD3 was amazing but well out of my price range. I really liked the Elears too though I question whether I really need them in addition to my Angies.

I notice a lot of people suggesting the treble is a bit rolled off on the Elear but honestly it's at the edge of what I find comfortable. Any more treble and they'd be too peaky for me. Given everyone saying how massive and dynamic the bass is, I expected these to be too bassy for my tastes but I thought the bass was fairly neutral. It certainly wasn't present unless called for. I liked them a lot - much more than the 400i that I tried. It's a real shame I couldn't hear the LCD2. That said, the 3 was too heavy.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #3,160 of 6,742
I auditioned the Elears today at my local dealer. Had wanted to compare to the LCD2 also on my shortlist but sadly they only had the LCD3 in stock. The LCD3 was amazing but well out of my price range. I really liked the Elears too though I question whether I really need them in addition to my Angies.

I notice a lot of people suggesting the treble is a bit rolled off on the Elear but honestly it's at the edge of what I find comfortable. Any more treble and they'd be too peaky for me. Given everyone saying how massive and dynamic the bass is, I expected these to be too bassy for my tastes but I thought the bass was fairly neutral. It certainly wasn't present unless called for. I liked them a lot - much more than the 400i that I tried. It's a real shame I couldn't hear the LCD2. That said, the 3 was too heavy.

The LCD-2 is about the same weight as the LCD-3, its the biggest issue for me, can't use them for more than 30 min before my neck starts to hurt

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,161 of 6,742
The LCD-2 is about the same weight as the LCD-3, its the biggest issue for me, can't use them for more than 30 min before my neck starts to hurt

I owned the LCD 2 for a couple of years. God sound but never used them due to the uncomfortable weight. The Elears are very comfortable. I can use them for hours. Not in the same class as the hd800s, but still very comfty indeed :)

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,162 of 6,742

​Yes, the Elear, though still not a light headphone, is still much lighter than the Audeze phones, as follows:

Weight excluding cable:
-MrSpeakers Ether C   390g
-Focal Elear                450g
-Audeze LCD-X           611g

So, the Elear is only 15% heaver than the Ether C, considered a comfortable headphone in terms of weight. 

But the LCD-X weighs a big one-third more than the Elear.

I couldn't take the weight of the LCD-X (I had a neck whiplash injury) but the Elear is not too bad.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,163 of 6,742
hello guys, I am new to expensive headphones, make 3 days research and bought it today, it will be here in 2 days,

I will be use them with iphone7 and laptop, I have 2 question 

1. Which cable replacement is good and not expensive? dont want to wait cable long also, I need 3.5mm
2. What to use as amplifier? dragonfly red or mojo ? what to try? is it good setup?

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,164 of 6,742
Well, I use the Elear with the mojo and it drives them very well. It is a nice pairing.

Regarding the cable, I use the beyerdynamic cable for the T5p/T1 2nd edition, works nice. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #3,165 of 6,742
  I agree with you that almost every headphone has strengths and weaknesses.  There are no perfect pair.  That being said, it comes down to how you perceive the strengths and weaknesses.  Are they palatable or not... I get challenged when I have to turn up the volume to mitigate the recessed midrange as I then get fatigued.  I definitely love the Elear, I am just finding others I like more.  The dharma's bass isn't anywhere close to what the Elear is, but the midrange is so wonderful I can deal with it.  But it is the Dharma's handling of the upper frequencies that have my heart.  So much air, sparkle and extension.  Without a trace of sibilance.  At least to my ears.  When I listen to jazz or psychadelic guitar I find the Elear to be absolutely perfect.  When I bought it, it was my daily driver.  Now more specific... You are right though.  Clarity and dynamics are at the very top for its price.  Very few headphones in that price range do as many things so well.

I had the Dharma's and loved them - one mod I made was putting Audeze lambskin pads on - helped the bass tremendously.  I agree on the high's of the Dharma - best I had heard until recently with the Pioneer SE Master 1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back