Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #3,091 of 6,742
Agree, IMO people that thinks Elear is the most comfortable headphone they've ever put on their head need to try Sony Z1R and most importantly, MDR MA900

The question wasnt if the Elear is the most comfortable headphone ever, but hiw comfortable compared to the Senn HD 600 line. No one has made that claim.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,092 of 6,742
While searching for a new pair of headphones I tested the Elear today (a burned in unit) with my Hugo TT and have to say it is great, especialy for house and electronica due to its quickness. It is in fact a very fast reponse unit...sometimes too fast, after a while was already reducing the volume ( some Focal family resemblance for sure).
Also noticed that while many tell these phones are very dynamic in fact I have my doubts as somehow I find there is one sort of dynamic compression effect in these headphones, much like when you plug a fast response compressing unit in the studio leading you to believe in a more dynamic sound than it is in reality by pushing everything in the first plane, somehow pushing forward the low level details...problem is that many times these details are lower with intention, for very good effect.
Can't help noticing how much I prefer my HD650 in things like "You want it darker" by L.Cohen or "So far" by Olafur Arnalds where these delicate details are there to be kept at that level and not be pushed to your face like the Elear does.

It is still an amazing heaphone but far from perfect as so many make it be.

Also there is something odd somewhere in the low highs or higher mids that make it become over agressive in some songs...yes, not perfect but guess no headphones are perfect.
But its fast reponse with techno and pumping house is absolutely amazing and yes it is a revealing pair of headphones no doubts about that. Also, pushed it to my personal limit with great bass tunes and no crackling or whatever side effects...very good indeed. Bass much more present than on a LCD X I had recently in my place but I prefer the LCD bass, it is way cleaner and more controlled, not so much at your face as our friend Elear likes to bring things to the table.
All in all, very good but not for me despite being a very appealing and fun unit for the kinds of music where this perspective is welcome but honestly can't see it as an allrounder.

PS: it is extremely confortable and very beautiful.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3,093 of 6,742
While searching for a new pair of headphones I tested the Elear today (a burned in unit) with my Hugo TT and have to say it is great, especialy for house and electronica due to its quickness. It is in fact a very fast reponse unit...sometimes too fast, after a while was already reducing the volume ( some Focal family resemblance for sure).
Also noticed that while many tell these phones are very dynamic in fact I have my doubts as somehow I find there is one sort of dynamic compression effect in these headphones, much like when you plug a fast response compressing unit in the studio leading you to believe in a more dynamic sound than it is in reality by pushing everything in the first plane, somehow pushing forward the low level details...problem is that many times these details are lower with intention, for very good effect.
Can't help noticing how much I prefer my HD650 in things like "You want it darker" by L.Cohen or "So far" by Olafur Arnalds where these delicate details are there to be kept at that level and not be pushed to your face like the Elear does.

Also there is something odd somewhere in the low highs or higher mids that make it become over agressive in some songs...yes, not perfect but guess no headphones are perfect.
But its fast reponse with techno and pumping house is absolutely amazing and yes it is a revealing pair of headphones no doubts about that. Also, pushed it to my personal limit with great bass tunes and no crackling or whatever side effects...very good indeed. Bass much more present than on a LCD X I had recently in my place but I prefer the LCD bass, it is way cleaner and more controlled, not so much at your face as our friend Elear likes to bring things to the table.
All in all, very good but not for me despite being a very appealing and fun unit for the kinds of music where this perspective is welcome but honestly can't see it as an allrounder.

Really enjoyed what you wrote. I agree on some level, but find it is a good allrounder. Once the volume is set right... I find it to be very powerful and natural sounding. I don't listen to it all day, but find myself reaching for it equally between my Alpha Prime and Dharma D1000.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #3,095 of 6,742

Agree, IMO people that thinks Elear is the most comfortable headphone they've ever put on their head need to try Sony Z1R and most importantly, MDR MA900

The question wasnt if the Elear is the most comfortable headphone ever, but hiw comfortable compared to the Senn HD 600 line. No one has made that claim.

Ah, but I hear a few people claim its as comfortable as the HD800, which is quite high on my list for being comfortable. Though, really it's all subjective and people's head sizes and shapes are different, so I'd stop it there. :)

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #3,098 of 6,742

Thanks but the Elear stock cable terminates with a 6.3 mm jack. I want to connect it to the 2.5 mm balanced end of the AK300. The one you put the link for has nothing to do with 2.5 mm. 

Never heard of a 2.5mm jack on a DAP. Sorry.
Google is your best friend.....

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #3,099 of 6,742

Thanks but the Elear stock cable terminates with a 6.3 mm jack. I want to connect it to the 2.5 mm balanced end of the AK300. The one you put the link for has nothing to do with 2.5 mm. 

Is this wht you want?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-5mm-6-3mm-Female-Adaptor-Stereo/dp/B00F59I0GC

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,100 of 6,742
  Ah, but I hear a few people claim its as comfortable as the HD800, which is quite high on my list for being comfortable. Though, really it's all subjective and people's head sizes and shapes are different, so I'd stop it there. :)

agreed. For me the most comfortable is probably the HD800, Hd800s, then Z1R. My interpretation of a headphone being the tops for comfort comes from how long I can wear it, and also wether it has the ability to make me forget its even on. to each his own!

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #3,101 of 6,742
I've owned mine for nearly 4 months and find the Elear's very comfortable hp's not sure why some would say otherwise.. but enjoy anyway

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #3,102 of 6,742
Hey abvolt. I always like your polite replies and positive nature. Great to see in a forum. As a fellow Elear owner, what amp and dac are you using? I have an iPhone, tidal hi-fi hi quality streaming and the Oppo ha-2 which I like but would be keen to up the ante with a home based system. Keen to understand what you have settled on.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #3,103 of 6,742

I think this is what you will need in addition to the wire and connectors for the headphone end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-4-Pole-Stereo-Male-Repair-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Audio-Soldering-/272501574919?var=&hash=item3f725c0d07:m:m1W-CJkSIgD6GJvPNrkG1fQ

If you don't know how to build the cable it might be easier to just go to one of the many cable makers and ask for one.  PETEREK, Forza, Double-Helix, Moon will all be able to build one for you, they might be a little pricy.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #3,104 of 6,742

now that I have several dacs, amps and dac/amp combos I am finding the elear (much like its big brother per feedback in other threads)  to be super responsive to its upstream pairings. Now, I won't go so far as to say there is huge change, but pleasant noticeable change in soundstage, warmth, dynamics, speed, bass, midrange and highs are all present and it does seem that using them balanced makes a significant difference. I am not saying that a change of amp/dac may change your mind, but it may be worth a try. The Hugo TT is a fantastic amp but may not be the perfect coupling for YOU. Personally, I am finding my dacs are making the most difference in dynamics as my HA-1 Sabre really kicks it up a notch. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,105 of 6,742
now that I have several dacs, amps and dac/amp combos I am finding the elear (much like its big brother per feedback in other threads)  to be super responsive to its upstream pairings. Now, I won't go so far as to say there is huge change, but pleasant noticeable change in soundstage, warmth, dynamics, speed, bass, midrange and highs are all present and it does seem that using them balanced makes a significant difference. I am not saying that a change of amp/dac may change your mind, but it may be worth a try. The Hugo TT is a fantastic amp but may not be the perfect coupling for YOU. Personally, I am finding my dacs are making the most difference in dynamics as my HA-1 Sabre really kicks it up a notch. 

You may be right, I can't argue that , but in my case the TT is a given so the Headphones have to do it or not. And in this case, for my taste, it does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back