Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 7, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #2,641 of 5,632
Sep 7, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #2,642 of 5,632
How does it compare against Chord Dave + Utopia?

Um, not quite as good. The Utopia really shows what the DAVE can do with soundscape and imaging. It's an amazing combination. The Mojo has less extension, less impact, less realism, less detail. Make no mistake, the Mojo is really good. DAVE is noticeably better to my ears and the Utopia keeps up. Great pairing.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,643 of 5,632
I'd be a little concerned about that deal. That price is way below what we pay as dealers. If it's a private party sale, it's no longer considered new

What you said made me think twice. It is a private party sale. What do you think would be a better choice; Buying the headphone claimed to be brand new from a private party or getting refurbished from an authorized dealer?

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #2,644 of 5,632
May I ask, I am considering purchasing the Elear but cannot finance any Dac/Amp upgrade. Currently use the Chord Mojo as my desktop Dac/Amp and hoping someone can provide feedback on how the Elear sounds with it.

Thank you kindly.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #2,645 of 5,632
May I ask, I am considering purchasing the Elear but cannot finance any Dac/Amp upgrade. Currently use the Chord Mojo as my desktop Dac/Amp and hoping someone can provide feedback on how the Elear sounds with it.

Thank you kindly.

Me too in the same boat want to buy Elear as soon as they are available but cant afford a exotic dac/amp so planing to use it with my Mojo hence looking for some feedback. Many thanks in advance.
Although I do have Geek Pulse Xfi not sure if it can be considered Exotic in today's world 
bigsmile_face.gif
, are there also balanced cable available for Elear and does it make a an improvement over SE cable.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #2,647 of 5,632
I have also used my Utopias with a Dragonfly Red and enjoyed that very much. The high efficiency really opens up the amp options!

Hi GuitarDave,

Thanks for your feedback , you have really made me more curious and anxious to wait for Elear, you have sold Ether, LCD-X and HD800 for Utopia pretty impressive.
Are all these have no chance against Utopia!!! I hope Elear are as good as at Utopia even at 90% that will be awesome

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,648 of 5,632

I have also used my Utopias with a Dragonfly Red and enjoyed that very much. The high efficiency really opens up the amp options!

Hi GuitarDave,

Thanks for your feedback , you have really made me more curious and anxious to wait for Elear, you have sold Ether, LCD-X and HD800 for Utopia pretty impressive.
Are all these have no chance against Utopia!!! I hope Elear are as good as at Utopia even at 90% that will be awesome

I am ok for Elear = 80% of Utopia :)

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #2,651 of 5,632

Thank you kindly.
They work very well together

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #2,652 of 5,632
Can anyone compare LCD 2.2 to Elear?

Here are some notes I took while A/B'ing the Elear and LCD-2:
LCD-2 has more energy around upper mids/lower treble, maybe 5k. Vocals have a slightly sharper quality in this area. Bass quantity actually seems similar to the Elear. LCD-2 bass extends very low on Postal Service. Switching to Elear, bass extends just as low, and is as emphasized, if not more.

LCD-2's overall imaging is not as pin point as Elear. The LCD2 soundstage seems narrower, and I feel more like I'm listening to a headphone vs a live experience. Notes are not as delineated, and have less definition than the Elear. The mids seem a bit more linear on the LCD-2, with less of an upper mid dip. Treble is also pretty linear on the LCD-2, but the peak on the Elear around 10k isn't noticeable or distracting to me at louder volumes. At times I hear the LCD-2 as a little peakier, with some brighter treble but at maybe a lower frequency.

Overall the Elear sounds slightly warmer, with noticeably better imaging and more accentuated but not abrasive upper treble. Mids are slightly less forward (this seems very close), but are also very well done. Win goes to Elear imo.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,653 of 5,632
Can anyone compare LCD 2.2 to Elear?

Here are some notes I took while A/B'ing the Elear and LCD-2:
LCD-2 has more energy around upper mids/lower treble, maybe 5k. Vocals have a slightly sharper quality in this area. Bass quantity actually seems similar to the Elear. LCD-2 bass extends very low on Postal Service. Switching to Elear, bass extends just as low, and is as emphasized, if not more.

LCD-2's overall imaging is not as pin point as Elear. The LCD2 soundstage seems narrower, and I feel more like I'm listening to a headphone vs a live experience. Notes are not as delineated, and have less definition than the Elear. The mids seem a bit more linear on the LCD-2, with less of an upper mid dip. Treble is also pretty linear on the LCD-2, but the peak on the Elear around 10k isn't noticeable or distracting to me at louder volumes. At times I hear the LCD-2 as a little peakier, with some brighter treble but at maybe a lower frequency.

Overall the Elear sounds slightly warmer, with noticeably better imaging and more accentuated but not abrasive upper treble. Mids are slightly less forward (this seems very close), but are also very well done. Win goes to Elear imo.

Awesome and thank you because these were the two headphones i was considering? They are the same price in the UK and at my maximum budget £800.
I will listen to both, but am confident that Elear will be my choice and your impression helps to validate. Also the LCD 2 is quite heavy.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,655 of 5,632

Thank you kindly.

I own the Elear and using it with the Mojo. I find the pairing to be excellent. The sound is very natural and dynamic with excellent resolution and imaging. The Mojo supplies more than enough power. I'm frequently listening with the Mojo volume below the double red ball setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back