Floorstanding or bookshelf speakers in the $1k used range
Jul 27, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch... That sounds like the ring of truth.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind integrating a decent subwoofer to provide the last octave, so 35 Hz isn't such a bad figure. I think that your suggestion to stick with a bookshelf speaker is probably a good one.

What sort of bookshelf speakers in the $1k used range would be good deals? Studio monitors are okay, too...

The VR-2s are 25-25 (+/- 1db I think)

wouldn't quibble over 5 hz.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Ouch... That sounds like the ring of truth.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind integrating a decent subwoofer to provide the last octave, so 35 Hz isn't such a bad figure. I think that your suggestion to stick with a bookshelf speaker is probably a good one.

What sort of bookshelf speakers in the $1k used range would be good deals? Studio monitors are okay, too...

you can forget about the sub idea. I tried that already. anything under $2k is no good at integration. Now when you get to about $3k the sub starts to sound good...
wink.gif
I tried the $5k Rel and its awesome.. I can swear my little bookshelf is producing 25hz waves..
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VR-2s are 25-25 (+/- 1db I think)

wouldn't quibble over 5 hz.

VSA is a fine choice, but it cannot compete with Vienna Acoustics, Opera, Harbeth, or ATC at the $4k level, just to name a few mid of the road brand. In the VR-2 range, you are also getting really close to Spendor 5, Vanderseen 2Ce, used Harbeth 7 (gen 2) and some other notable spkrs.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can forget about the sub idea. I tried that already. anything under $2k is no good at integration. Now when you get to about $3k the sub starts to sound good...
wink.gif
I tried the $5k Rel and its awesome.. I can swear my little bookshelf is producing 25hz waves..
wink.gif

Aww, why do you say that? I've heard a lot of people saying similar things... Why wouldn't something like a same-brand subwoofer integrate with bookshelves?

For example, my current bookshelves are rated down to ~50 Hz... If I used a receiver for bass management and sent signals ~60 Hz and below to the subwoofer (with or without speakers set to small), wouldn't that work at least reasonably well?

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Aww, why do you say that? I've heard a lot of people saying similar things... Why wouldn't something like a same-brand subwoofer integrate with bookshelves?

For example, my current bookshelves are rated down to ~50 Hz... If I used a receiver for bass management and sent signals ~60 Hz and below to the subwoofer (with or without speakers set to small), wouldn't that work at least reasonably well?

no clue. I go by my ear. why does RS1 sound better than SR60 if the FR curve and imp curve are similar? don't know
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #21 of 52
Holy Cow. I just saw this on Agon (not mine)
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1190682527

At $1500 (over budget, but this is Head-Fi), this is an incredible bargain for those who have heard and know this speaker. The JAS Orsus is a great bargain at its retail price ($4000), but at $1500 asking price, I want to buy it myself!

You just don't see other speakers with the double-ribbon tweeter and Titanium dome midrange anywhere near this price range, and Orsus sounds great!

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

VSA is a fine choice, but it cannot compete with Vienna Acoustics, Opera, Harbeth, or ATC at the $4k level, just to name a few mid of the road brand. In the VR-2 range, you are also getting really close to Spendor 5, Vanderseen 2Ce, used Harbeth 7 (gen 2) and some other notable spkrs.

I'm sorry who are you to decide what can compete with what. My dealer has cycled most of the popular equipment that comes out including a few of the speakers that you have mentioned through his shop over the years, and I've heard most of them. The VS does well from entry model to the top model which I believe is the best set of speakers in the world. I would not say they are everyone's taste or put down another brand of speaker (which I'd like to because a couple of brands that you mentioned up there are very weak IMO.

Every speaker in the $4K can compete with every other one and it is up to the person with his/her opinion on what they like. You sound like you have some superior knowledge of what is good and what is not and clearly from what you stated, you don't.
mad.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Wow, those do look nice... Wish I had $1.5k + shipping to blow, but then I wouldn't have a capable amp to drive them. Someone else, buy them and tell us your impressions.
tongue.gif

Man, read the ad more carefully:
"Must sell, price includes shipping in lower 48! ($225 value)."

The seller is actually within driving distance from me. Hmm. I will have 4 sets of speakers in my house by the end of this year already, not to mention many headphones, so I need another pair of speakers like another hole in my head, but dang.

I think I will e-mail the seller to see if he will sell it for less for local pickup
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry who are you to decide what can compete with what. My dealer has cycled most of the popular equipment that comes out including a few of the speakers that you have mentioned through his shop over the years, and I've heard most of them. The VS does well from entry model to the top model which I believe is the best set of speakers in the world. I would not say they are everyone's taste or put down another brand of speaker (which I'd like to because a couple of brands that you mentioned up there are very weak IMO.

Every speaker in the $4K can compete with every other one and it is up to the person with his/her opinion on what they like. You sound like you have some superior knowledge of what is good and what is not and clearly from what you stated, you don't.
mad.gif

I am just going off from what I have heard. nothing more nothing less. I like SF, I like ATC, I am indifferent to BW and I don't like Thiel. I think you can get a general feeling of what kind of sound I like. VSA, IMO is more Thiel than SF
wink.gif

I do have to say no one can touch their monitor at the going price though, which is why I got one. Had I had the money, I would have picked others.

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

I am just going off from what I have heard. nothing more nothing less. I like SF, I like ATC, I am indifferent to BW and I don't like Thiel. I think you can get a general feeling of what kind of sound I like. VSA, IMO is more Thiel than SF
wink.gif

You might give another listen then, because I am not a Thiel fan either. But I do like VS and other brands.

I got my VR4jrs for $4K when they first came out (now $5,500). They not only compete with $4K speakers but go way beyond - Have a read...(this is one of many BTW)

The Summary, For Starters

The VR-4jr is a highly revealing loudspeaker that will tell you exactly what the components upstream are saying while adding very little coloration of its own. This loudspeaker is going to hit the high-end like an earthquake and send shock waves up toward the $20K range. The most golden ears in the business might find some esoteric sonic flaws, but for most serious music lovers the value will gloss over the minor shortcomings. It is a loudspeaker around which you can build a wide variety of the finest systems. Dropping this loudspeaker into what you think is an already fine system will be a revelatory experience…for better or for worse. Forget the VR-4 designation and repeat after me: "Jay-R". These are not 'junior' or 'wish-we-were' loudspeakers... they are among the very best.

enjoythemusic

Full review

I'm done back to thread topic.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #27 of 52
well more listen is def needed then. Although realistically I probably won't hear VR4 again because since VSA went semi-direct no dealer around me carry this brand anymore.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might I suggest taking a look at the Monitor Audio Silver RS6s, floor standers for a grand NEW.

I spent some quality time with the RS6's, and they were very impressive. I'd also check out the Paradigm Studio floorstanders, they are proof that great (not good, GREAT) floorstanders do not need to cost a bundle.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent some quality time with the RS6's, and they were very impressive. I'd also check out the Paradigm Studio floorstanders, they are proof that great (not good, GREAT) floorstanders do not need to cost a bundle.

I find Paradigm Studio and their Sig line rather mediocre and unimpressive. Actually the only good thing it did was it played pretty loud.

Disclaimer: I have yet to hear the S8 (I am not holding my breath here) so my judgments on S line only applies to S2 and S4

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely - I had the Studio 100s and they were very good for their price. While I admit they are colored more than some other options, I enjoyed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back