flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #38,208 of 39,414
You got this again? lol Wait till 350+ hours mark you will hear super charged treble with hairline details and amazing vibrancy,
Extreme resolution yet haven't found any song sounding harsh on Jewel + LP6 TI. Two significant changes came - one at 100 hours and even bigger one at 350 hours for me.
Nice description of treble response. Why does it need 350 hours of burn in?

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #38,209 of 39,414
While I like Cayin and have their N8, I distrust them on added functionality, etc
Why? The N6ii is an amazingly stable accomplishment in a sea of bug ridden android "experiments".

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #38,210 of 39,414
Shame, I was ready to offer Sony my soul again, this time for a 1ZM2 (they didn't seem to consider my soul worth a DMP-1Z previously), but this is a bit disappointing. Oh well, I'll ask them to trade for a PS5 instead... 🤣

Ooh, lovely! Drool. Drool.
DiJNEV.gif
Don't write them off too soon. I was underwhelmed by my WM1a as not a great match for many of my IEMs until a fellow headfier helped me add a new custom firmware that changed everything. The bass is now snappy and the detail is enhanced with a broader soundstage. Now my entire IEM collection sounds spectacular with the Sony. Yes, adding my Hugo2 makes a world of difference when I want better sound, but the Sony is easy to use, great battery, etc and is good enough most of the time. I actually have never had power issues with the Sony in driving my IEMs. Even my HD800 is ok, not spectacular, with the Sony in a pinch. The changes that were made including capacitors may be a bigger impact than we think and possibly more than added power. Most of the time for me, that excess power is unused and battery life is the critical factor. My Caylx M SQ is spectacular, but it barely gets used due to a 4-hour battery life. I applaud Sony for that up to 40 hours this may offer. The average of 8 to 12 hours seem meager next to that and the battery life falls quickly to a fraction of that. Just sayin'....

I for one am eagerly waiting to hear what they have done as I cannot swallow the short battery life on the other options when I have the Sony around. So why are there no preorder options for the US?

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #38,211 of 39,414
Nice description of treble response. Why does it need 350 hours of burn in?

I really don't have the scientific answer for you. :) With my busy schedule I don't have much time to listen so I just let it run forever and pick it up once in a while so I don't believe this was brain burn-in. Not as drastic but I had the similar experience with the Solaris after about 50 hours before. Other than that I don't recall experiencing noticeable burin effect on most of IEMs I tried. If anything, you would think DD bass driver will change but didn't feel much difference. The change I felt was mostly on treble side of getting sharper. You want as much as sharpness and sophistication on jewel as it can handle just about any treble peak.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #38,212 of 39,414
I really don't have the scientific answer for you. :) With my busy schedule I don't have much time to listen so I just let it run forever and pick it up once in a while so I don't believe this was brain burn-in. Not as drastic but I had the similar experience with the Solaris after about 50 hours before. Other than that I don't recall experiencing noticeable burin effect on most of IEMs I tried. If anything, you would think DD bass driver will change but didn't feel much difference. The change I felt was mostly on treble side of getting sharper. You want as much as sharpness and sophistication on jewel as it can handle just about any treble peak.

What are your thoughts on Jewel v Odin? I can’t help but get some similar Odin vibes here. The Jewel seems airer in the treble from memory and less shouty in the upper mid range but the bass gives me similar vibes. I ended up finding Odin too bass light, I’m not sure how I feel about it on the Jewel yet. The bass is very good though.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #38,213 of 39,414
What are your thoughts on Jewel v Odin? I can’t help but get some similar Odin vibes here. The Jewel seems airer in the treble from memory and less shouty in the upper mid range but the bass gives me similar vibes. I ended up finding Odin too bass light, I’m not sure how I feel about it on the Jewel yet. The bass is very good though.

I thought Odin had a good synergy with (only dap I am playing right now which is) LP6 TI AE giving gigantic sound stage with hard hitting deep bass response. Treble retains excellent clarity with much weight but on some high pitched tunes it was just unbearably harsh that I had to equalize. The issue here is there's a limit as to how much I can adjust down without ruining overall presentation. You are right that jewel has a similar bass texture with little less in quantity comparing to Odin but there was no quality depreciation of having single DD driver. One thing I really like about the jewel bass is that it rarely violates other frequencies while preserving a excellent impact. I thought it harmonizes pretty well. Not as one big chunk but has its own origin and decay.

One thing Odin does better is the sound stage but it had to go due to its annoying treble peak which is even more obvious after hearing jewel. I think jewel bases its resolution not by certain FR amplification but by its ability to separate the different FR using physical drivers, especially on the upper region using 6 ests. At one point it even went harsh but right now it kinda settled down nicely. Finally one way to compare the two, Odin = big/bold/raw and Jewel = natural/sophisticated

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #38,214 of 39,414
I thought Odin had a good synergy with (only dap I am playing right now which is) LP6 TI AE giving gigantic sound stage with hard hitting deep bass response. Treble retains excellent clarity with much weight but on some high pitched tunes it was just unbearably harsh that I had to equalize. The issue here is there's a limit as to how much I can adjust down without ruining overall presentation. You are right that jewel has a similar bass texture with little less in quantity comparing to Odin but there was no quality depreciation of having single DD driver. One thing I really like about the jewel bass is that it rarely violates other frequencies while preserving a excellent impact. I thought it harmonizes pretty well. Not as one big chunk but has its own origin and decay.

One thing Odin does better is the sound stage but it had to go due to its annoying treble peak which is even more obvious after hearing jewel. I think jewel bases its resolution not by certain FR amplification but by its ability to separate the different FR using physical drivers, especially on the upper region using 6 ests. At one point it even went harsh but right now it kinda settled down nicely. Finally one way to compare the two, Odin = big/bold/raw and Jewel = natural/sophisticated

Thanks, I appreciate your comparison.

I do agree, the Jewel resolution and overall detail is really impressive. The way the bass, mids, and treble all come together as one is done very well.

I'll be keeping an eye out over the treble over time for sure. Again, the treble I am hearing now does not sound anything like what I heard with the MT demo so I imagine I will experience that at some point if you felt it got harsh and settled down.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #38,215 of 39,414
Well, a lot of that isn’t true. :D I don’t own THL. I’m just a writer on it. The website’s actually run by Joe, who the OG’s here may know as “average_joe”. We do make some money from ad space and sponsorships, but that’s all gone into site maintenance, as well as a site rebuild that’s been going on over the past few years. I believe that’s true for the guys over at Headfonia as well, among other sites. This is all a side gig for us on top of our 9-to-5’s.

That's correct, Daniel. All of us here at HFN have (more than) full time jobs. I myself am in Marketing and IT, and then there's the family and other hobbies. Crazy, but fun :)

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #38,216 of 39,414
I started out listening to IEM's about 10 yrs ago...mostly used them in the gym or on airplanes for the isolation...mostly was listening to mp3 on the go or some music I recorded myself from CD...I didnt think all that much of sound quality with them....I was using the etymotic and the shure 846 which was pretty good....moving on I got into over the HP's and ultimately graduated to TOTL such as the susvara and the abyss TC...recently I got into IEM's again due to travel and the desire to have good sound on the go with my hugo 2...I have tried and own some of the TOTL IEM's and I am shocked how good these things are today...something like the "bird" or the Mason FS to name 2 are so good now that they approach the very best over the ear...they can't quite provide the visceral bass of the abyss or the soundstage but they are damn close and they are every bit as good in terms of clarity,detail and imagining....all in all I am shocked to be honest having not listened to IEM's for a long while....I am enjoying reading all the discussions and reviews here....

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #38,217 of 39,414
I started out listening to IEM's about 10 yrs ago...mostly used them in the gym or on airplanes for the isolation...mostly was listening to mp3 on the go or some music I recorded myself from CD...I didnt think all that much of sound quality with them....I was using the etymotic and the shure 846 which was pretty good....moving on I got into over the HP's and ultimately graduated to TOTL such as the susvara and the abyss TC...recently I got into IEM's again due to travel and the desire to have good sound on the go with my hugo 2...I have tried and own some of the TOTL IEM's and I am shocked how good these things are today...something like the "bird" or the Mason FS to name 2 are so good now that they approach the very best over the ear...they can't quite provide the visceral bass of the abyss or the soundstage but they are damn close and they are every bit as good in terms of clarity,detail and imagining....all in all I am shocked to be honest having not listened to IEM's for a long while....I am enjoying reading all the discussions and reviews here....
The Legend EVO comes pretty darn close..

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #38,218 of 39,414
Been taking a brief hiatus while I enjoy the slew of customs that have been delivered, but I will recommend the Jolene for any rock or dummer lovers. JH really knows how to make rock/roll come alive. Can't wait to begin posting my '7 days of customs' series of posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back