FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,301 of 7,931
  I was on the fence on trying out some new iems and was actually considering Shure SE846 or Westone W60. I've had Shure E2C and SE535 in the past but eventually sold them off. Also used and sold off UE Triple.fi 10 Pro & Super.fi 5 earphones over the years. I still use Westone 3 & 4 models for everyday listening.

I liked the idea of the filters for the SE846 but prices were holding me back. Then of course with a lot of googling I came across mention of these FLC8S iems. For a half to a third of the price of the aforementioned considerations and predominately highly positive reviews I decided to order up a set. Got them thru eBay and will hopefully see them in a few weeks. So now I'll be reading up on setup/useage and other forum user comments here in preparation for my new arrival.

Great choice!

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,302 of 7,931
Question on stock cable.

I hear the FLC8s cable is balanced even though it's terminated with 3.5. Could I buy an adapter, female 3.5 to balanced RSA/ALO and use that with the FLC8s cable? Or, do I have to cut off the 3.5 jack on the FLC8s cable to install RSA/ALO jack?

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #3,303 of 7,931
Question on stock cable.

I hear the FLC8s cable is balanced even though it's terminated with 3.5. Could I buy an adapter, female 3.5 to balanced RSA/ALO and use that with the FLC8s cable? Or, do I have to cut off the 3.5 jack on the FLC8s cable to install RSA/ALO jack?
Its not balanced with a 3.5 plug, it just has all 4 conductors inside the cable, so making it a balanced cable is feesable without buying a new cable simply by cutting off the original 3.5 and installing your own 2.5/3.5 4 pole balanced plug!
So for your questions, no you cannot just add an adapter you must remove the 3.5 and the add a new plug!

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,304 of 7,931
Its not balanced with a 3.5 plug, it just has all 4 conductors inside the cable, so making it a balanced cable is feesable without buying a new cable simply by cutting off the original 3.5 and installing your own 2.5/3.5 4 pole balanced plug!
So for your questions, no you cannot just add an adapter you must remove the 3.5 and the add a new plug!

Gotcha, just what I thought. thanks for the confirmation.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #3,306 of 7,931
finally got my FLC8s from Shenzhen audio.
Probably regret getting one in red instead of blue. Looks a bit cheap-ish.

that said i still very much stand by the great value hybrid sound.

Enhanced sub-bass, somewhat enhanced mids and mostly linear treble (same as balanced but enhanced mids) - Red ULF, Grey LF and Gold HF/Mids filters. That's my favorite tuning / matches my sound preference . There's still a bit of sibilance with a bit of metal, pop etc as with the balanced tuning , but I can listen to these unEQed. The sub-bass impact, and bass to mids balance is very very impressive, as are sub-bass/bass/mids clarity.
For bass-head levels of bass and no sibilance I do +3db @50hz, q=1.6; -0.6db @ 160hz, q=1.5; +0.8db @ 800hz, q=1.6; db=1.2 @ 1250hz, q=0.8; -0.8db @ 7khz q=1.5; -2.2db @ 8.35khz, q=0.7; -1db @ 9500hz . (on clip + or xduoo x3)

Great to see you join the party!

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #3,307 of 7,931
The headphone list had it down at 5.5mm. http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/flc-technology-flc8/

Thanks for that!

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3,308 of 7,931

Not sure why you're comparing prices of IEMs. The noble replacement cable costs $50, so I'm pretty sure it costs much less to make. FLC8S has terrible microphonic cable with a bad memory wire AND someone decided to go with connectors for which cables are non existent so people can't even use their own cables. Doubled the damage.

I don't know what you're on about... There are some microphonics, yes, but not more so than any regular cable. Definitely not noticeable when the music is on. 

I know heavily microphonic cables when I hear them and the stock cables just aren't that. There is nothing wrong with the memory wire either...

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,309 of 7,931
Also, its always an option to get the FLC8 (not 8S) non-braided cable.  It works perfectly well with the 8S, isn't microphonic at all and doesn't have memory wire if that bothers someone. I got one from LMUE for about $25 USD.  Although lower purity copper, it sounds quite good and many people would consider it more ergonomic.  I just did it basically as an experiment and to have a back up in case the original cable ever developed a problem.  I don't mind the braided 8S cable

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,310 of 7,931
On the LMUE site (great stuff there, btw!) I see some Silver cables for the FLC8S. One set is described as "Balanced" while the other doesn't specify anything. Which ones should I be considering for use? Predominantly the earphones will be used with the XDP-100R but likely will move around to other devices as the need arises.

I have started going post-by-post of this thread. I am on page 24 (lol) and have come across some discussion on 3rd party cable in general. So far I read that cables designed for UE Triple.fi 10 will be compatible. I saw there was some good recommendations for Jimmi Dragon cables but the links I find take me to a Polish(?) forum and I cannot decipher. Is there good aftermarket cables I should be considering? Let me know, I'm new to the custom-cable-for-iem world.
confused.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #3,311 of 7,931
Agree with dlayman regarding FLC8 cable. It's less springy / more supple and is less micro phobic accordingly. No memory wire either, which I find more comfortable.

Signal2Noise:The balanced cable is for DAPs, Amps, etc. with 2.5mm balanced output. The other cable is for normal 3.5mm connection.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #3,312 of 7,931
@Signal2Noise:The balanced cable is for DAPs, Amps, etc. with 2.5mm balanced output. The other cable is for normal 3.5mm connection.

Cheers! That helps. If you hadn't mentioned this I'd be ordering the wrong one! 3.5mm it is, then!

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3,314 of 7,931

I don't know what you're on about... There are some microphonics, yes, but not more so than any regular cable. Definitely not noticeable when the music is on. 

I know heavily microphonic cables when I hear them and the stock cables just aren't that. There is nothing wrong with the memory wire either...

Is the cable microphonic? Yes, everyone agrees to it. The level of microphonics is personal preference, so your insensitivity towards microphonics does not make the cable any better for me. I never said there was anything wrong with the memory cable per se, just that they can take some cues from the likes of the K10 to get it very right. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,315 of 7,931
Another query/thought as I reach page 31 of this thread (read during periodic work breaks
wink.gif
) and there's been discussion on filter setups...

What happens if the FLC8S are listened to WITHOUT any filter installed? Or just one in? Or two...etc.? Is having none in equivalent to true neutral or is it really bad? I will give it a try when I get my order but the curiosity is killing me!
popcorn.gif

On to page 32....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back