FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,031 of 7,931

My favourite tips now are JVC Spiral Dots. More comfort and not degrading soung. Thinking about custom tips to get best isolation possible.

+1 

It kills of some sibilance too.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #3,032 of 7,931
  400 is the correct Comply size.  I recommend the Crystal foam tips that Lend Me UR Ears also sells over the Comply.  The medium bore version is the correct size.  More comfortable and better sound than Comply.

okay thanks, I'll make sure to order some (seems like I'll have to order all sizes since I don't know mine yet).

My problem with the Delta wasn't the nozzle diameter but the body. It sits really awkwardly I'm the ear and was pretty uncomfortable.

yeah after some more experimenting I'd say it's the same thing that ends up hurting my ears.

Alright, I've got one final question to you FLC8 owners. I'm having trouble finding a replacement cable without memory wire because there are some posts in this thread which state that the TF10 cables should fit while others state the opposite. The only recommendation I could make out is to look for cable with a 0.74mm connector but I'm unable to find anything other than the TF10 cables (which seem to have 0.75mm?) around that size. Would be nice to know if (for example) this cable here would fit :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-TF10-sf-5-sf-3-5pro-/252327634738

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,033 of 7,931
  Heyyy, you do own both the RHA T20s and the FLC8s right?

I recently compared the T20s (treble filter) to my CKR-9s and find them about the same in treble but the treble of the CKR-9s are slightly clearer and airier . The T20s are more sibilant though. The CKR-9s is more intimate and has a smaller soundstage but not by much. The bass of the CKR-9s is tighter , deeper and has more rumble.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

A comparison of the T20 and the FLC8s would be very appreciated !!!

FLC8s plays in another league. Better dynamics, separation, 3D imaging, mids, treble refinement, etc.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #3,034 of 7,931
Does anyone know whether Shure foam ear tips like on the SE 215, etc. would fit the nozzles on these? I'm not a Comply memory foam fan, but love the Shures, and can get them on Amazon, unlike the Crystalline Audio foams on Lend Me Ur Ears... if not the Shures, any other suggestions for some readily available foam tips that don't require international shipping to get them to the U.S.?

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #3,035 of 7,931
Does anyone know whether Shure foam ear tips like on the SE 215, etc. would fit the nozzles on these? I'm not a Comply memory foam fan, but love the Shures, and can get them on Amazon, unlike the Crystalline Audio foams on Lend Me Ur Ears... if not the Shures, any other suggestions for some readily available foam tips that don't require international shipping to get them to the U.S.?

No way, the Shure olive foams have a much smaller inner diameter. If you're really into foam tips, don't bother about the international shipping and get the Crystalline Audio ones, they are very good.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,036 of 7,931
  No way, the Shure olive foams have a much smaller inner diameter. 

You'd think that eh? 
wink.gif

I'm probably a bit like @Trialanderror

I like Comply tips - but they can wear a bit, and for more shallow fitting IEM's I like the wide fit of the Shure Olives.

You have to really jam them on - but they do stretch enough to fit.  Just be prepared to force them.What it means though is that you really want to settle on a filter combination which suits you most, as swapping the tips on and off is not easy.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #3,037 of 7,931

No way, the Shure olive foams have a much smaller inner diameter. 

You'd think that eh? 
wink.gif

You have to really jam them on - but they do stretch enough to fit.

Whoa, I am really surprised that they really fit the FLC8s without modification (taking the inner rubber barrel out for example). 
beerchug.gif

One could argue though that the Shure Olives weren't intended to fit larger nozzle diameters.

Okay, I should have double-checked that: turns out that the Olives' diameter isn't that much smaller than the Crystals' (for my defense, I haven't touched the Shure foamies for a looong time and assumed that their diameter was as small as the silicone tips').

Here's a comparison of the Shure (black) and Crystalline tips (grey):

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #3,038 of 7,931
I might have to try the Crystaline tips Chris - they look like a much easier fit.

And yeah - the Shures will fit, but it's a labour to get them on (much cursing).  They're definitely not intended to fit - but I've been surprised what I've been able to get them on so far (including my U6). You can even get them on the likes of the Dunu DN2000J - it just takes about 5-20 minutes of dedicated pushing and stretching.  If you're like me with big canals, it's amazing the lengths you can go sometimes to get a perfect fit.

BTW - congrats on the Contributor status.  Well deserved !

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,039 of 7,931
Originally Posted by Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can even get them on the likes of the Dunu DN2000J - it just takes about 5-20 minutes of dedicated pushing and stretching.

Hehe, that's a lot of time to get the tips on. Are the Shure Olives as difficult to take off the FLC8s/DN-2000J as from Shures' own IEMs' nozzles? Taking the Olives from the SE425 and 846 was a p.i.t.a., requiring a lot of force, twisting and some time as well.

If you're like me with big canals, it's amazing the lengths you can go sometimes to get a perfect fit.

I feel you - I have large and quite straight canals with large conchas as well, nonetheless the largest stock silicone tips usually fit and seal very well in my ears (getting a good seal and fit with the ATH-IM03 is a curse and lots of fiddling due to the shape (very short nozzle and shared shape of the bodies near the nozzle)). Medium foam would never work for me unless the IEMs were intended to seal past the ear canals's second bend.
Good thing FLC8s' largest silicone tips are really large, so there is no fiddling necessary for me and I can just put the IEMs in to get an immediate seal.

BTW - congrats on the Contributor status.  Well deserved !

Many thanks, my friend. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,040 of 7,931

Hehe, that's a lot of time to get the tips on. Are the Shure Olives as difficult to take off the FLC8s/DN-2000J as from Shures' own IEMs' nozzles? Taking the Olives from the SE425 and 846 was a p.i.t.a., requiring a lot of force, twisting and some time as well.

Harder - not really recommended - although they did seal pretty well :)

I's a pity Shure doesn't do the Olives in a T400 nozzle width.  They'd be the only tips I'd ever use ....

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,041 of 7,931
Great info, thanks! I'm ok with a bit of work to get them on there- the folks at Crystalline Audio told me they hope to be on Amazon soon, but as I said I'm not really a fan of memory foam tips so I'll give the Shures a try first.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3,044 of 7,931
Something that is so difficult to install as the Shure tips is never a good idea. Brute force and IEM don't belong together. The Crystal foam tips fit easily and sound great and are very comfortable. The Crystal tips remind me a lot of the Shure Olives in both comfort and sound. A little harder to buy and a bit more expensive, but worth it. There are too many good alternatives, as well as the included tips, to risk damage to the IEM.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #3,045 of 7,931
Something that is so difficult to install as the Shure tips is never a good idea. Brute force and IEM don't belong together. The Crystal foam tips fit easily and sound great and are very comfortable. The Crystal tips remind me a lot of the Shure Olives in both comfort and sound. A little harder to buy and a bit more expensive, but worth it. There are too many good alternatives, as well as the included tips, to risk damage to the IEM.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back