:flag_gb: CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #211 of 433
  Subbed.
And as always, a bit surprised by some reports, since TOTL are not mentioned that often. Looks like this hobby is unique...could you imagine going at a motor show and toroughly avoiding Ferrari / Porsche / Bugatti / Rolls Royce ?
biggrin.gif

Ali

That's a good observation and also in line with my experience of the show. Although the TOTL SR009/BHSE were my show favourite the other bright spots were the more mid level phones such as KEF M500, RHA, Oppo PM3, Noble Savant, Pendulumic etc.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #212 of 433
I will post more later :)

For now, the stars of the show were the HE1000, Ether and Hyperdynamics Transducer.
The Orpheus was very interesting!
Everybody was super nice :)

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #213 of 433
  I found Snuggs were extraordinarily expensive. If you are wanting full sleeves for any IEm, consider the Custom IEM Company (I got some for my Shure SE846s and love them). Snuggs seemed to be around twice the price for no visible difference.

The Custom IEM company say their molds only last around 3 months then need replacing. No idea if this is true, but Snugs assured me that theirs would give years of use without degradation. Again, I can't tell if this is true or false either.

But I will know about the snugs shortly.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #214 of 433
I will post more later :)

For now, the stars of the show were the HE1000, Ether and Hyperdynamics Transducer.
The Orpheus was very interesting!
Everybody was super nice :)

I must look up the Hyperdynamics Transducer, that one slipped by me..

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #215 of 433
  The Custom IEM company say their molds only last around 3 months then need replacing. No idea if this is true, but Snugs assured me that theirs would give years of use without degradation. Again, I can't tell if this is true or false either.

But I will know about the snugs shortly.

Snugs keep a digital 3d model of your ears on computer and so can always reproduce a mould easily.

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #216 of 433
I must look up the Hyperdynamics Transducer, that one slipped by me..

Sweet. All aboard the hyperdynamics train. Easily the thing that impressed me the most in terms of value for money. Basically for the money that will be paid (production model not released yet) ill probably be sent to jail for daylight robbery.

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #217 of 433
Yeah! Can't for this to release! Hopefully the final product will have better cables, housing etc!

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #218 of 433
I may be a bit of an amatuer as mid afternoon my ears started to rebel, telling me "meh, just another headphone" 
basshead.gif
 I definitely didn't do the Ethers justice for this reason.

But the following made an impression:

HE1000 - WOW.  I hadn't been following the threads on this so I came to them without expectations. Fair to say I was blown away. The guy next to me had heard them before and told me they were the closest he had ever heard to actual speakers, and he was right. The headstage, sense of space around the instruments, imaging - best in show by a big margin.  I heard them out of Hugo TT, the EF6 (is that right?) as well as my humble Hugo (which drove them ok but I'm sure not as well as the others) and I literally said "wow" to myself a number of times as i tried different tracks. WANT ONE

Hugo TT - as a confirmed Hugo lover I made a b-line for the TT and wasn't disappointed.  A clear step up in terms of authority and body of sound. WANT ONE. Rob Watts told me if I liked that wait until I hear the DAVE - I told him at the price they will be selling them I don't want to hear the DAVE 
wink.gif

Audioquest Nighthawk - an odd one, polarising on here and I can see why. Massive improvement on the the pre-production version, smooth and bass/mid focussed, but not without detail.  But no "air". Went back twice but still not sure.

Noble - the Savant didn't set me on fire, but the K10 did, lovely open stage, nicely balanced.  Plus the Noble guy was the hardest working dude at the show, kudos to him

Apologies to the Jerry Harvey guys for The Thing that came out of my ear after trying the Laylas 
redface.gif
 So good they dislodged a small piece of brain.

Oppo PM2 is underrated I think - I really like my PM3 and the bigger brother has just a really pleasurable, fatigue free presentation - you get the sense you could relax into them for days on end.  Wonder what a DHC cable would bring to the party.

Didn't get near the Yggy  all day 
mad.gif
 Next time - bring 2!  

Thanks again everyone - I was on no sleep after a night up with my sick youngest son so not as chatty as I might have been - hope to do it again next year?

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #219 of 433
 Fostex TH-500RP

This one is difficult. For my addiction to female vocal; the Fostex TH-500RP does vocal so well that I nearly bought it. However, it remain unspectacular in other areas. The overall build quality is great but the “leather” pads on it was not up to par and felt rather stiff.

If you are craving for super clear and lush mids the Fostex TH-500RP should be on your list to try, but try before you buy.

This sounds like a description of the T50RP MK2... which kind of implies that speculation of the mk3s being (or at least sounding like) factory modded mk2s is rather accurate. That's useful (and really, all the more reason for me to get in touch with LFF).

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #221 of 433
what a great event, finally got to listen to so many brands that i wanted to hear for a long time. 
In the UK, It's so difficult to get a audition on most of these gears. Some dealer even charge for a demo in case you don't buy. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #223 of 433
  I found Snuggs were extraordinarily expensive. If you are wanting full sleeves for any IEm, consider the Custom IEM Company (I got some for my Shure SE846s and love them). Snuggs seemed to be around twice the price for no visible difference.

if you consider that on the day they charged £119, which included instant ear impressions.  Looks like the Custom IEM Company charge £105 for their custom sleeves and their impressions start at £42. So if you bought in the day (like me) you can sleep easy :)  Even the retail of £159 doesn't seem outrageous if they work well.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #224 of 433
if you consider that on the day they charged £119, which included instant ear impressions.  Looks like the Custom IEM Company charge £105 for their custom sleeves and their impressions start at £42. So if you bought in the day (like me) you can sleep easy :)  Even the retail of £159 doesn't seem outrageous if they work well.

And the Snugs tips look a lot more durable to me too in all honesty.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #225 of 433
I may be a bit of an amatuer as mid afternoon my ears started to rebel, telling me "meh, just another headphone" :basshead:  I definitely didn't do the Ethers justice for this reason.

But the following made an impression:

HE800 - WOW.  I hadn't been following the threads on this so I came to them without expectations. Fair to say I was blown away. The guy next to me had heard them before and told me they were the closest he had ever heard to actual speakers, and he was right. The headstage, sense of space around the instruments, imaging - best in show by a big margin.  I heard them out of Hugo TT, the EF6 (is that right?) as well as my humble Hugo (which drove them ok but I'm sure not as well as the others) and I literally said "wow" to myself a number of times as i tried different tracks. WANT ONE

Um HE800??? Is that supposed to be HD800'S or HE1000's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back