FLAC-The Best way to get it
Nov 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbpoweramp worths every penny of it..
Unless you want to stick with cue sheet, you should try dbpoweramp.
It has better tagging, faster speed of ripping with same level of security.
The new version utilize the multi-core processors pretty well.

What happen in EAC if you rip track by track: you slowly rip one track and then the plugins starts to convert the file. in the meanwhile, the CD-ROM stop and restart the spinning after the conversion is done.
I don't know if there are new plugins to address this issue.
But the whole process would takes a very long time.
Things get better if you rip the whole disk at once, but once again the ripping speed in EAC is slower.

What dbpoweramp does is after you set up the offset, it always try to rip in high speed, and then it rips the same track multiple times to compare the result.
If your CD has no error or can be directly matched with AccurateRip, the overall ripping process is much faster.
Even if there are some frames is questionable, you won't be slow down in each pass like EAC.
dbpoweramp goes back to the questionable frames after the ripping of rest of the track is done.
This also saves you from waiting the ripping questionable frames and the spin-up time.

I don't know how EAC utilizes the multi-core CPU.
The way dbpoweramp does largely saves your time by using one core to rip and another to convert. This reduce the chance of CD-ROM spin down to wait for conversion.

Overall, if you want to rip track by track, dbpoweramp worth every penny it asks. Not to mention it's convienent multi-format ready file converter.

FYI on any halfway modern dual core CPU there is no slowdown due to encoding with EAC. Maybe that's because EAC is 'so slow' with ripping which ime it isn't compared to trial versions of dbPoweramp but whatever. You can set EAC to call as many external compressor threads as you want.

They are both fine programs, dbpoweramp is easier to use and set up with less fiddling, EAC has more indepth 'power user' options but they need to be set to get the most out of it. I felt like I learned a lot more about ripping with EAC which may not interest everyone, when I first started ripping my CDs I tried both. One thing I do like about EAC is that it's more open wrt the external encoder you want to call rather than the dbpoweramp add-ins for each codec. (I do my tagging through the encoder command line call, this is my external compressor command line in EAC for FLAC: -8 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s)

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 43
I usually never bother to set up EAC to encode to FLAC anyway. I just wait for the ripping to finish, then drag the WAVs to FLACdrop. It only takes a minute or so to encode an album.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI on any halfway modern dual core CPU there is no slowdown due to encoding with EAC. Maybe that's because EAC is 'so slow' with ripping which ime it isn't compared to trial versions of dbPoweramp but whatever. You can set EAC to call as many external compressor threads as you want.

They are both fine programs, dbpoweramp is easier to use and set up with less fiddling, EAC has more indepth 'power user' options but they need to be set to get the most out of it. I felt like I learned a lot more about ripping with EAC which may not interest everyone, when I first started ripping my CDs I tried both. One thing I do like about EAC is that it's more open wrt the external encoder you want to call rather than the dbpoweramp add-ins for each codec. (I do my tagging through the encoder command line call, this is my external compressor command line in EAC for FLAC: -8 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s)

Can someone send me a screen shot of their configuration of FLAC Files in EAC.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #34 of 43
fly into a no fly zone? sorry couldn't resist >_<!

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #35 of 43
Honestly I don't know if flac is worth it over high bitrate mp3. I've been testing various genres that I have encoded in flac and mp3. Its very hard to for me to tell the difference, it feels mostly psychological. But I'm only using shure e210s. I get my "good" sound gear next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which settings or screen are you looking for in particular?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I don't know if flac is worth it over high bitrate mp3. I've been testing various genres that I have encoded in flac and mp3. Its very hard to for me to tell the difference, it feels mostly psychological. But I'm only using shure e210s. I get my "good" sound gear next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

The reason I do it is storage is cheap enough now that the space isn't an issue (I guess it's good I never digitally archived or stored my CDs any more than 2 or 3 years ago) and having a lossless 'master copy' allows me to convert it to anything else with no loss of quality. If I used mp3 instead and wanted to convert to another lossy format or a lower bitrate in mp3 there would be a lossy-lossy conversion which is bad.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can hear no audible difference then there may be no need to go past a high bitrate lossy file.
Unless you want the peace of mind that is..

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Which settings or screen are you looking for in particular?

The reason I do it is storage is cheap enough now that the space isn't an issue (I guess it's good I never digitally archived or stored my CDs any more than 2 or 3 years ago) and having a lossless 'master copy' allows me to convert it to anything else with no loss of quality. If I used mp3 instead and wanted to convert to another lossy format or a lower bitrate in mp3 there would be a lossy-lossy conversion which is bad.

I'am after the external encoder settings screen shot please.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

I'am after the external encoder settings screen shot please.

This tab? (The encoder command line is cut off but I posted it already.)

There's more to setting up EAC than that one but I hope that helps. There are many guides on the Internet and if you hover your mose over various options there's a brief description.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

It might be easier to just have someone export and upload their settings file. There are quite a number of awesome guides online, as well. I love EAC for doing all of my encoding, it has great features and is highly accurate through accuraterip.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

This tab? (The encoder command line is cut off but I posted it already.)

There's more to setting up EAC than that one but I hope that helps. There are many guides on the Internet and if you hover your mose over various options there's a brief description.

Thanks mate,the bit rate is it relevant can it be lower to what you have, how would that effect.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be easier to just have someone export and upload their settings file. There are quite a number of awesome guides online, as well. I love EAC for doing all of my encoding, it has great features and is highly accurate through accuraterip.

Your SR 80's , how do they sound with your CMOY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back