Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #181 of 2,161
When my 6-year young UM2 cable broke I demoed the UM3 instore and walked out with the SE535 and PFE 232
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #183 of 2,161
Quote:
Really? What did you find so horrible on the sm3? I guess presentation is a bit weird.

earpods isolate? I bought the mh1c and im quite happy with them but to me they aren't close to the sm3

I agree build quality of the sm3 is the worst i've seen on iems

Filter mod make them much better though

The Earpods are not meant to isolate like IEMs (in-ear monitors) as they're canal phones (aka erabuds).

The SM3 was a horribly thick sounding IEM, with muddy bass, unnaturally thick and forward mids... and more I'd rather not discuss—a sonic mess, one of the most overly hyped IEMs on HF. No wonder so many people tried all manner of tips, tip mods and several even going as far as removing the filters (!!!) as the stock sound is/was simply awful. Build quality was very poor for an IEM that originally retailed for $500. On top of that, Earsonics' customer service left—and still eaves—a lot to be desired.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #184 of 2,161
I removed the filters cause the green tiny paper which were inside the filter of my right side went out and the sound was pretty sibilant, this build quality issue happened to me twice first time ive sent them to earsonics and paid about 80 euros for this and some damage in the shell the second time i decided to remove the filters, but earsonics told me that if filters were removed they wont repair the drivers in case of damage so Agree earsonics customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Another and the more important build quality issue is that the the shell is so poor sticked that tend to open this is not covered by the warranty and it's an issue present in most of the units with some use.

The sound to me is good... separation is fine, detail and clarity aren't bad but not as good as the um3x, bass have good punch, the highs are a bit recessed but i prefer the sm3 highs over the metallic-recessed 535 highs anyday some people find the highs almost perfect on the sm3. And soundstage is big with 3d surrounding. A bit dark sounding but the filters mod improve clarity and detail quite a bit. A bit mid centric dark sound after all. So ill take a pinch of salt on your opinion!

I didn't dislike the shure 535 first weeks, in fact i was impressed by them i had the um3x in that time... but i only like the um3x with my custom tips when i plugged that tips to the um3x my point changed i guess the um3x are my favourite iems after the fa4e, but the fa 4e to me are the most impressive iems ive heard to date, no doubt and remind me a bit i can't say why as an improved um3x

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #187 of 2,161
Quote:
Did you have time to use and compare with other iems the fa 4e a little more?

Unfortunately, I really don't enjoy A/B'ing phones though I sometimes do, of course. In fact, I'll be getting an ASG-2 loaner next week and, to be perfectly honest, I'm not looking forward to comparing it to my other IEMs because I just don't enjoy doing so.

To answer your question, no, I haven't, but the time I've spent with the FA-4s (several times already) has been really very enjoyable. I don't think they play in the same league as the K3003s or Parterres, but those very cheeky FA-4Es can definitely have that chat and pint I spoke about a couple of days ago and not be too intimidated or embarrassed.

BUT, don't forget that you, personally, must take my comments with a pinch or two of salt.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #188 of 2,161
Quote:

The Earpods are not meant to isolate like IEMs (in-ear monitors) as they're canal phones (aka erabuds).

The SM3 was a horribly thick sounding IEM, with muddy bass, unnaturally thick and forward mids... and more I'd rather not discuss—a sonic mess, one of the most overly hyped IEMs on HF. No wonder so many people tried all manner of tips, tip mods and several even going as far as removing the filters (!!!) as the stock sound is/was simply awful. Build quality was very poor for an IEM that originally retailed for $500. On top of that, Earsonics' customer service left—and still eaves—a lot to be desired.

with muddy bass, unnaturally thick and forward mids... and more I'd rather not discuss—a sonic mess, one of the most overly hyped IEMs on HF

muddy bass, unnaturally thick and forward mids ...a sonic mess, one of the most overly hyped IEMs on HF.

sonic mess, one of the most overly hyped IEMs on HF. 

a sonic mess

aurionics_asg-2_stealth_3_1.jpg

tuner.jpg

tumblr_lh7ajl9CfB1qbl3hu.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #189 of 2,161
 :)   :)  :)

Well, I'm certainly expecting Gintara's daily 36-hr Madonna marathons will have worked wonders to turn the ASG-2 into an Uber Uber Uber 1p2. Fingers very firmly crossed!

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #191 of 2,161
Quote:
Cecala I've only tried 2 more aftermarket cables apart the effect from pearl and the white angel from sunricky, one was a copper cable called 6occ which was a bit expensive around 70£, this was good but as i said a bit expensive and the other was around 35£ and performed really good close to the 6occ but i don't remember it's name and it's not for sale now on ebay.

The cheap cable from sunricky was the white angel which is better than the stock it adds more clarity and bass but it make the fa highs sound harsh and sibilant while the sm3v2 sounded better with this. In my opinion the stock cable is more durable than those except the effect studio pearl which feels very sturdy

Tell me more please regarding the above highlighted. Where can I purchase this or at least have alook.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #192 of 2,161
That cable is not available on ebay now, i had it one year ago if i remember well but this one looks like and the description fit the sound of my old cable well. the other was expensive though

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=261261742487

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #193 of 2,161
Well, my FA - 4 just arrived and didn't have time to do a more detailed listening, but my first impression is it seems like an improved IE80 with excellent soundstage, more opened and bright, better highs (never sibilant ou harsh) and sealing. Bass is strong (not like IE80, but pronounced) and how comfortable they are, similar to UE900, maybe better.
Overall, a very good phone. 
More to follow...

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #194 of 2,161
Quote:
Well, my FA - 4 just arrived and didn't have time to do a more detailed listening, but my first impression is it seems like an improved IE80 with excellent soundstage, more opened and bright, better highs (never sibilant ou harsh) and sealing. Bass is strong (not like IE80, but pronounced) and how comfortable they are, similar to UE900, maybe better.
Overall, a very good phone. 
More to follow...

Nice, been looking for an upgrade to my ie80's. looking forward to more impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back