First UE11 Impressions
May 12, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #1,066 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the operative word is "some". Theoretically understanding each debator's perspective is positive.

Although sometimes (IMO a lot of times in the States) the purpose of understanding someone's perspective is an effort to:

a) Overlook the soundness of the argument itself and focus on the person

or

b) Overlook an objective analysis of the argument and focus on the person themselves -- kind of a halo effect. Whatever this person says is gold because they have done this or that or because they are nice people.

your a) and b) look really similar - a) is negative, b) is positive?

You're right - ad hominem arguments should be ignored, but not all the responses to sovkiller have been such.

May 12, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #1,067 of 1,600
Quote:

That is true xand, but maybe the one who is willing to hit you for it, for sure has no clue that they can only be used by you, and maybe knows the value as was heard in someplace, but honestly I prefer that other put the head and not me....

You're right, of course, but surely this argument is impossible - I said that it was a benefit in light of your suggestion that it would be *known* what the cost was (see what you said, quoted below). Anyone who knows the cost would tend to also know that they're "custom" (unless of courseit is is just a really blinged out version with faux diamonds or something and the assailant thinks that it's jewelry).

I concede the point if it's not uncommon to hear of hearing aids being stolen in ny
wink.gif

Quote:

Portability is a bonus if you really need it, but honestly I will not take them out to any place with this price tag, if anybody knows what they are worth, you are history in NY!!!!

Quote:

My question is, have you heard those two in question? They sound very good IMO.

Nope. I decided to buy customs because universals don't give me a comfortable fit. I was sufficiently satisfied by the Sfp5 sound, even though that sound showed regressions from the er4p.

Also - I must say that I haven't even hear the UE11's yet. They're arriving reasonably soon though (I hope) and at such point I'll let you know whether I think they were worthwhile
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is called "First UE11 impressions", well those are my first UE11 impressions, this is not a review in details of a two years owner of them, we are all talking of first impressions of them...As you said if I get the custom molds and spend some time with them, maybe I will like them not sure...But my first impressions are these.

Because you choose to clothe your "impressions" with an aura of objectivity - (by focussing on relative price) - and consistently argue from that standpoint - while in fact are as biased as everyone else.

You have no objective basis to argue that the universal version (for you) is identical to the custom version - yet you have claimed, insisted, that it is.

You have no objective basis to argue worth - while you own another (very) expensive headphone (which is good from this perspective) you have repeatedly stated that you see resale value as important.

Also on worth - obviously there are diminishing returns (in terms of value per unit price) within a class of products, but if your opinion is not grounded from the perspective that you're willing to pay the price for "better", it because as uninteresting and useless (to me) as the opinion of someone who simply thinks that, in absolute terms, no headphones are worth $1200 (which, btw, is not an indefensible position).

So - while you're perfectly entitled to have your opinion on the universal version you heard, that's what your opinion is about. And since that's not a product which can be purchased (for any price) that opinion is not really relevant - at the very least, it's certainly not worth restating countless times.

May 12, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #1,068 of 1,600
Well, I can say that I made the mistake to sample or audition the universal ue11’s at CanJam ’08. No problem as I got an excellent seal with new tips on them, eventually they had to ask me to give them up
biggrin.gif
... but big mistake tasting dem … I can’t get the blessed things out of my mind and it’s not like I’m listening to skull candy crap, I’m using the se530’s and I’ll probably pull the trigger on them this week.

btw, see if you can read the inscription on my new shirt
tongue.gif

100_3183.jpg

May 12, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #1,069 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your a) and b) look really similar - a) is negative, b) is positive?

You're right - ad hominem arguments should be ignored, but not all the responses to sovkiller have been such.

smily_headphones1.gif
You are a good reader and a better analyzer...

I agree with you -- not all responses ... but also SovKiller is a joint party in the situation.

In any resolve it feels like order is being restored so I am happy.

----------------------------------------
Any impressions? Impressions?

May 12, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #1,070 of 1,600
Quote:

In any resolve it feels like order is being restored so I am happy.

Great. Anybody know the approximate turnaround time for UE?

[BTW: Whenever I witness these little bursts of incivility in some threads, I begin to wonder to what degree these spicy comments are enabled by "web anonymity".

I am now myself wherever I may roam on the inter-tubes. It hasn't caused me problems, and by being myself, I "own" my behavior. And as for the cute & creative usernames, I think, one can find out who's who with a few keystrokes anyway, so why not just pick a "handle" that's kind of exactly your real name?]

May 12, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #1,071 of 1,600
Turnaround time: 2 weeks after impressions delivered to UE.

After 2 weeks they will be created, testing, delivered and in your hand.

May 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #1,072 of 1,600
Quote:

First of all I have not insulted anybody, show me where...and I do not want anybody to think the same way I do, who said that? That I will not spend that price on them (nor any other) doesn't mean that the rest has to follow me, and if you like them, bravo for you!!! I never said that you are stupid or silly, or dumb, for liking them, just that I found better values on other products out there. But maybe you don't, you are entitled to your opinion, same as I'm to mine, simply as that.

Second I will be as direct as you are, as well, IMO the UE11 offer at that price point, less than others with a lot less price tag (if you are looking for enjoyment only as I do) it is not a matter that you are paying more, to get more, as the case of the R-10 or the Orpheus, and that is what I found bizarre, IMO the price of the UE11 is not according to what they offer soundwise, but as we all hear different I think that I'm entitled to that opinion, right? That is the only thing I'm trying ot say, period....

BTW I'm not limiting the rejection of them by the price only, I would not get them even if they cost $150.00, simply I do not like what they offer a single bit, same as the SE420, SE530, and fit aside. Same as others will not like the Grado sound, or the HD650, or the Edtion 9s, or the R-10, or even the Orpheus, there is no one size fits all in audio, to me the sound size the UE11 offers do not fits me and period, at any price point, but less at the tag they are using now...not sure if I'm clear enough now!!!! Jesus!!!!

OK - you have made yourself clear - but I don't think God has an opinion on IEM's one way or the other....

May 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #1,073 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you choose to clothe your "impressions" with an aura of objectivity - (by focussing on relative price) - and consistently argue from that standpoint - while in fact are as biased as everyone else.

You have no objective basis to argue that the universal version (for you) is identical to the custom version - yet you have claimed, insisted, that it is.

You have no objective basis to argue worth - while you own another (very) expensive headphone (which is good from this perspective) you have repeatedly stated that you see resale value as important.

Also on worth - obviously there are diminishing returns (in terms of value per unit price) within a class of products, but if your opinion is not grounded from the perspective that you're willing to pay the price for "better", it because as uninteresting and useless (to me) as the opinion of someone who simply thinks that, in absolute terms, no headphones are worth $1200 (which, btw, is not an indefensible position).

So - while you're perfectly entitled to have your opinion on the universal version you heard, that's what your opinion is about. And since that's not a product which can be purchased (for any price) that opinion is not really relevant - at the very least, it's certainly not worth restating countless times.

rant on:

xand this will be my last post here, I will leave the UE11 fanboys...errr enthusiasts thread alone, as it seems that they prefer to ignore all opinions not favorable about them, you can keep on enjoying the best heapdhone ever made by God, even while some of you have not even heard it yet, not even a universal fit version, and are just arguing for the sake of.

But the last remark, if you get a good seal with the universal fit, the sound you will get with a universal fit, and a custom fit, in the same setup, is pretty close, if not the same, that is why they exist, and were created by the manufacturers, they are fully representative of the sound, otherwise what is the point in having them there, if the sound you will get later on will be completelly different, I know that maybe a little difference due to the orientacion of the driver in the custom fit, but you get at least the general idea, all you need to get is the good seal, which I got...

So my opinion on the sound is not so far from my reality, and for my very personal preference, sorry I do not think that I will like them with a custom mold made by Archangel Gabriel neither...

rant off, and out!!!!

Enjoy the UE11...Peace!!!

May 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #1,074 of 1,600
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
You are a good reader and a better analyzer...

<3

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

And as for the cute & creative usernames, I think, one can find out who's who with a few keystrokes anyway, so why not just pick a "handle" that's kind of exactly your real name?

xand is shorter.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #1,075 of 1,600
Quote:

xand this will be my last post here, I will leave the UE11 fanboys...errr enthusiasts thread alone, as it seems that they prefer to ignore all opinions not favorable about them, you can keep on enjoying the best heapdhone ever made by God, even while some of you have not even heard it yet, not even a universal fit version, and are just arguing for the sake of.

Of course it's not the best headphone ever made by god.. I see no reason to think that headphone development will cease
wink.gif

And Of course negative impressions are accepted - if they're made with someone with authority. (e.g. ilounge reviewer, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fir...ml#post4181253 etc.)

And I never said anything about the sound - I only pointed out the flaws and failures ofyour "objective" impression. Obviously I would disqualify myself from opining on the UE11 (except perhaps for random recommendations based on the body of evidence
wink.gif
) - certainly I'm not going to say I know how they sound. Isn't it interesting that your opinions can be negated even without that grounding?

Quote:

But the last remark, if you get a good seal with the universal fit, the sound you will get with a universal fit, and a custom fit, in the same setup, is pretty close, if not the same, thatiswhy they exist, and were created by the manufacturers, maybe a little difference due to the orientacion of the driver in the custom fit, but you get at least the general idea, all you need to get is the good seal, which I got...

"pretty close", "general idea".

Thanks for playing.

May 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #1,077 of 1,600
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm anyone knew what happened to the discount code for the 20% off? just tried it 2 hours ago and it doesn't work. thought its till 5/12???

Yeah, me too. Just decided to pull the trigger and UE killed the code? Aw, Come on UE...

May 12, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #1,078 of 1,600
Quote:

Portability is a bonus if you really need it, but honestly I will not take them out to any place with this price tag, if anybody knows what they are worth, you are history in NY!!!!

But aren't customs all but worthless to anyone other than the person they were custom fitted to? I would think theft concerns are no more or less than with any other bit of portable hifi gear. I (respectfully) think your statement/comment here has pretty much zero merit all things considered.

Peace,

Graz

May 13, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #1,080 of 1,600
What price comfort?

FWIW, the best thing abt any custom is the ability to wear it for longer without feeling like my ears are being raped.

The UE11 takes the sound signature of the tf10ps (which I already love but can't wear for long periods of time) and makes it even better.

The enhanced bass (midbass?) is a little disconcerting at first, especially when you are used to how the tf10p sounds, but I have to say that after testing through with a lot of my songs (something you cant really do in an exhibition), I have grown to love the new improved signature. I also notice that in some of my older tracks, there is no extra bass felt. I guess the UE11 only makes the bass that was already there now perceptible.

I actually find it difficult to go back to the tf10ps now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back