FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #46 of 1,841
How is the S/PDIF out. Is it capable of sending Dolby to a HT reciever?

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #47 of 1,841
I'm looking for a cheaper dac and this uDac is looking like a possibility, I was originally thinking of buying a v-dac $300 but this uDac, at $100, is very tempting. Do you think the uDac would match the sound quality of the v-dac?

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #48 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the S/PDIF out. Is it capable of sending Dolby to a HT reciever?

I have not tried it with an HT receiver yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderloochy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a cheaper dac and this uDac is looking like a possibility, I was originally thinking of buying a v-dac $300 but this uDac, at $100, is very tempting. Do you think the uDac would match the sound quality of the v-dac?

Haven't heard the V-DAC, but I did compare the uDAC to some other nice DACs.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #49 of 1,841
Hi Larry, I was just wondering if this dacs rca output is best when the volume pot is at max level. Is it an active gain stage like a preamp? or just passive. The people at Nuforce might chime in on this one too.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #50 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry, I was just wondering if this dacs rca output is best when the volume pot is at max level. Is it an active gain stage like a preamp? or just passive. The people at Nuforce might chime in on this one too.

The volume setting doesn't seem to affect the SQ, or I haven't paid enough attention. It's the output from the DAC, not active or from buffers. I tend to keep the volume a little below max when using as a DAC via RCA, but I'm not sure why (3 o'clock). I'm using it with the EF5 for now with it set that way.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #51 of 1,841
great review as always

the uDAC sounds very impressive for the price...i may just grab one of these when they go back in stock

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #55 of 1,841
I was actually wondering something. My current setup on the go when im studying is a icon mobile to some iems. im usually not at home so this is my cheap solution for now. would the udac be a big difference?

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #56 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually wondering something. My current setup on the go when im studying is a icon mobile to some iems. im usually not at home so this is my cheap solution for now. would the udac be a big difference?

The uDAC is a noticeable upgrade to the Icon Mobile if you have IEM or headphones with good resolution - despite the amplification circuit being similar, the uDAC sound is more refined, balanced, detailed and spacious.

If you are using a $20-30 IEM you may not hear a big difference.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #57 of 1,841
Is there any way to output as DAC-only without going through the amp/volume control?

Looking for a nice DAC to pair to a full-size amp with volume control, and I like what I'm hearing about this one, but having two volume controls is a bad idea...

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #58 of 1,841
I think it has been said that the analog out, while volume controlled, doesn't run through any buffers or amplification, so it shouldn't degrade as much, if any as it might if you used the headphone out as a line out. At any rate, you could leave the volume at like 80% and use your amp to control the volume from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back