FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 1,841
This is great news! I hope Nuforce wont hike up the price or lower the quality because of this review
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #32 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is great news! I hope Nuforce wont hike up the price or lower the quality because of this review
biggrin.gif

Nope, no plans to jack up the price; and as you just read, it got better.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #33 of 1,841
The uDAC does read very promising. I was looking for a small DAC to pair with my desktop amp for a while and the uDAC seems to fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately the first bacth is already out, I was hoping it will has enough stock to reach local NuForce dealer so I get to demo it first. Guess I am probably have to wait till next year for that
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #34 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, no plans to jack up the price; and as you just read, it got better.

Yup so far... I should get one now though in case they change the design in a year or so
biggrin.gif

When I do get it, I will compare it with my valab and emu0404 usb dac

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #36 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry,
Can you describe the headphone out more so far as tonality/dynamics/coherence/musicality is concerned. Thanks

Timbre and tone is very good, not what you often get from a $99 product. The sound is slightly forward, but there is no loss of size of soundstage or ambience because of the great micro-detail. It seems to have good PRaT and is pretty musical, more in the direction of my Apogee mini-DAC than my PS Audio DLIII.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #37 of 1,841
Hi Larry, what are your impressions with the ESW10JPN? if it's on par with the D10 then I might consider selling the D10 and get the uDac!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #38 of 1,841
Quote:

Timbre and tone is very good, not what you often get from a $99 product. The sound is slightly forward, but there is no loss of size of soundstage or ambience because of the great micro-detail. It seems to have good PRaT and is pretty musical, more in the direction of my Apogee mini-DAC than my PS Audio DLIII.

wow this seems like a ridiculously great thing for laptops and netbooks

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #39 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry, what are your impressions with the ESW10JPN? if it's on par with the D10 then I might consider selling the D10 and get the uDac!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll try those later and report back.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #41 of 1,841
We should have enough stocks for sale December 14. Hang in there
smily_headphones1.gif
FYI, Nuforce design philosophy is like this from day one:
We determine a price for the model, then go all out to make it the best we can (even if the result surpass our expectation or outperform other higher price products).

We don't worry if uDAC has a better DAC than Icon or Icon Mobile, these other products have different features than uDAC. What we will continue to offer is a whole family of components for customers to mix and match. As long as you stay in the Nuforce family, we don't care what you buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #42 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

I'll try those later and report back.

The ESW10 sound great with the uDAC, making them almost like an open headphone. If you don't need the battery power for portable then the uDAC is a good match, whether you are listening to Bob James, Diana Krall, Black Eyed Peas or Boys like Girls.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #44 of 1,841
Got mine yesterday, very impressed. I'm using my Netbook, with mostly 320kbs MP3 files. Sennheiser IE7 IEMs.

With these sensitive IEMs, I am most nervous about amplifier hum. The uDac has the lowest hum I've heard of the 5-6 amps I've owned. At 50% volume, the hum is noticable with silent passages. But pretty minor, nothing that bothers me. Here's the strange thing, crank up the volume to 80% or more, and the hum is barely noticable.

As for the sonic characteristics, I'd say the uDac improves the bass most. Very tight and controlled. I don't get much improvement in the soundstage, midrange&vocals stays pretty centered, a little more forward in the presentation.

Looks to be a great little desktop/portable amp for my Netbook. Although I am a little concerned that the mice that sneak into our warehouse may think it is a big candy bar and try to eat it.

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #45 of 1,841
Quote:

The ESW10 sound great with the uDAC, making them almost like an open headphone. If you don't need the battery power for portable then the uDAC is a good match, whether you are listening to Bob James, Diana Krall, Black Eyed Peas or Boys like Girls.

Thanks for your feedback Larry...really appreciated
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back