First Custom IEM's
Mar 28, 2012 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nutties3

New Head-Fier
Well here goes...I am from Sydney, and I have been reading forums for months (literally) and i have finally decided to get a pair of custom IEM's. Firstly, i am simply a music lover who travels a lot and i am pretty much looking for opinions on the best "value" of what is within my budget of around AU$500-AU$600. I know that it does come down to personal preference, but i am no expert and just want to make sure my choice is alright.

I currently have a pair of UE700's and I have had TF10's previously. Through my reading I have come down to the Unique Melody Aero or the 1964-T and I just wanted some opinions on which to go for. Sound is obviously crucial, but i am also looking for things such as build quality and support if things do go wrong. 

I do listen to a number of different genres of music ranging from dubstep to acoustic, and I do prefer a slightly bassy sound (nothing over the top).

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 27
Maybe get the TF10 reshelled with UM and maybe add a midrange driver too? Or give them the UE700 and TF10 and add a mid range driver to get a nice 6 driver custom (it's been done here before with success).

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 27
Since you're in Australia, Unique Melody is probably the best choice for you in terms of support and convenience. You can even listen to their products beforehand!

I agree with ProjectDenz in that, if you don't mind 'sacrificing' the UE700, the best way to get the best possible sound in a custom is to either get a UE700x3 or UE700x6. Both products should retain the UM 'house sound' as the drivers have been pre-selected tuned with a pre-determined crossover circuit; no guesswork here. The UE700x3 will add a single bass driver, while the UE700x6 will most likely also add another dual driver (matching the current UE700 setup) as well as two bass drivers.

As it has been often mentioned around here, UM has excellent build quality. I personally don't have any UM products (I have an Heir Audio 4.A), but they are indeed well-regarded around these parts. In the end, I do believe that UM Australia/Global's proximity to you is the determining factor. With customs, obtaining a proper mold is crucial, and if the fit isn't perfect the first time, a refit may be needed (or multiple refits, if you're unlucky). I believe it would be nice to have the main distributor of UM products (outside of North America) in your backyard. While 1964Ears is also a well-regarded company, it is located in Oregon, which is still a longer ride on the freight plane than one to Guangzhou, China.

JM2C

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 27
I would say that with the long wait for customs, it would probably be better to hold on to a semi - decent model to listen too.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks all! I was leaning towards UM as you noted that they do have an Aus branch. If I did go with the reshell option (TF10 + UE700), would this still fall into my budget? I know it states "from AU$200" on the website but i would suspect that it would be more that this?

Does anyone in Aus/Sydney know which are some UM authorised audiologist's in Sydney. I live on the North Shore and I got a quote of AU$100 for the impressions from audiologist (they sell JHAudio & Westone) near me. As I have never done this before, I am not sure if that is reasonable price?

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 27
TF10 upgrade to 6 driver (taking out TF10 high driver and add 4 more) is $479+ear impression+shipping.. TF10+UE700+3 drivers (take out TF10 high driver and use one UE700 high driver and 3 more drivers) is not on the website.. you have to ask them for specific pricing.. but either way.. the total cost will not be below $600 including shipping, impression, TF10 and UE700..
I don't know if there is any other combination with UE700 and TF10.. but the one I listed is said to have better sound than the UM recommended setting.

AU$100 is way to expensive... it should be in the range of 50~75

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 27
The UE700 uses a TWFK driver which is 2 drivers in one. They use that as the highs for the TF10x6 as they call it. They then take the Sonion (3300?) driver out of the TF10 (which is itself 2 drivers in one little package) and use it for the low end. Then they add two of their own drivers for the midrange and add their own crossover to make it all work.

Ask them for a quote but they help you set up an appointment with the audiologist buy giving you a phone number. It cost me $45 to get my impressions done.

Total cost should be (don't quote me directly on this):

Impressions ($45) + Reshelling, Shipping and Insurance ($210) + 2 Extra Drivers ($220) + UM Cable if you decide to get one of their sockets and cables put in ($45) = $520.

So basically for $520 you get something that's pretty up there and towards the other 6 driver customs on the market.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 27
hey how about dream earz? it should fit the bill and you dont have to sacrifice anything. your ue 700 and trifi 10 would be safe. im also thinking of getting a custom iem soon but no way am i going to sacrifice my trifi 10, im thinking of getting dream earz aud5x myself or um miracle. what are your thoughts on these, guys? um miracle worths the extra jump from dream earz? its almost doubling the price... 

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 27
Thanks ProjectDenz, that sound really good! So I take it that $100 for impressions is more or less a rip off...

I will send UM an email for more details

I haven't come across Dream Earz, so not to sure on what they are like?

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 27
yeah.. if you already have the TF10 and UE700 you can have the upgrade for less than $600.. but I though your TF10 was out... so I'd cost $100 more to get another pair

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
Thanks ProjectDenz, that sound really good! So I take it that $100 for impressions is more or less a rip off...

I will send UM an email for more details

I haven't come across Dream Earz, so not to sure on what they are like?

i heard they have a warm sound signature and they have a 3d soundstage, i dont own it but ill read up more on it. im looking at headphones too as headphones generally already have bigger soundstage. the one im thinking of getting for portable use is the sony flagship mdr z1000. any thoughts on that guys? im currently using my etymotic research hf 5 for portable use now.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 27
hmm... Sony is pretty out of the hi-fi field these years... seems like their last great hit was the R10 which was decades ago..  the Q10 wasn't as well received and same with SA5K... with that said.. Z1000 seems like another Sony's over-priced attempt to get back into the hi-fi niche...

I'd say stick to IEM for portable.. $450 can get you 1964-T or equvalent.. and customes can suprise you with their sound stages... after all.. sound stage is only the difference on time of arrival on certain frequencies.. with good cross-over board and well paired drivers.. IEMs can also acheive the same effect...

fotgot to mention... although UM has AU division, but that is just a distributor... the real workshop is still in China...

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
hmm... Sony is pretty out of the hi-fi field these years... seems like their last great hit was the R10 which was decades ago..  the Q10 wasn't as well received and same with SA5K... with that said.. Z1000 seems like another Sony's over-priced attempt to get back into the hi-fi niche...

I'd say stick to IEM for portable.. $450 can get you 1964-T or equvalent.. and customes can suprise you with their sound stages... after all.. sound stage is only the difference on time of arrival on certain frequencies.. with good cross-over board and well paired drivers.. IEMs can also acheive the same effect...

fotgot to mention... although UM has AU division, but that is just a distributor... the real workshop is still in China...

hey you are saying despite iems are in your ears, they can have soundstage that can rival headphones?

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
hey you are saying despite iems are in your ears, they can have soundstage that can rival headphones?

yes... of course only to certain extend... if you put UM Miracle up against HD800... there is no way CIEM can win.. but it can be as good as most of the closed headphones... ( I have not heard Miracle before.. but that's the consensus around here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back