Firefox + Head-fi = maddening experience
Mar 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Is it just me, or when I try to post using Firefox (version 4) there is no cursor and in turn no ability to go back an fix typos. When I hit enter to leave a space...nothing happens.

Quite frustrating that I have to use IE8...I hate IE8 (not the IEMs BTW, the browser. 
tongue.gif
)

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Interesting, it appears you do get the curser if you only have 1 tab open unfortuantly there is no way we will ever get the ability to fix misspelled words unless they replace these with the default post boxes.

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Interesting, it appears you do get the curser if you only have 1 tab open unfortuantly there is no way we will ever get the ability to fix misspelled words unless they replace these with the default post boxes.

Exactly...it's forced me to use IE8 and I hate IE8.
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Try selecting then deselecting Source in the corner of the reply box and that should reset(?) the cursor.
Firefox is real nice, no need to hate or stop using.  =]
(Yes, I'm a Firefox user.)

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Is it just me, or when I try to post using Firefox (version 4) there is no cursor and in turn no ability to go back an fix typos.

It's not just you. I get it too with Firefox.

I tried using the Source editor option, but the HTML it wants isn't exactly standards compliant. The paragraph tag doesn't seen to produce paragraphs properly. It uses some sort of hack involving putting extra "paragraphs" with a blank space entity between each real paragraph. I also find it annoying that the editor box overrides the browser's right-click.

The editor also has problems with Chrome, particularly with quotations, which is one of the reasons I switched back to Firefox.

Quote:
Try selecting then deselecting Source in the corner of the reply box and that should reset(?) the cursor.

Thanks, that works. Also, you can switch to editors under My Profile --> Edit Account Details. The BB Code Editor seems to work better.

Out of curiosity, I was trying to figure-out what BB software runs head-fi. Rather than a standard like phpBB, it looks like it's a custom (or at least customized) platform from a company called Huddler. This brief article about Huddler is somewhat interesting:

Quote:
Huddler contacts the owner of the site, offering to modernize the forum and bring in more money too. [...] It gives the sites a makeover, so they look a bit less old-fashioned, not to mention more advertising-friendly. It optimizes the pages for search engines, and also makes them easier to share through Facebook Connect.  [...] Financially, there’s not much risk to the forum owner, since the software is free. Huddler is only paid by through a percentage of the increased revenue that it brings to a site.

Monetization, SEO, and social network integration are all well and good, but....

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 11
(Although switching editors while editing a post appears to play havoc with inter-paragraph spacing.) :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Well, I had to switch back to Firefox 3.6 as 4.0 was just too frustrating. Hopefully the Mozilla folks fix this before 4.0 is finally released beyond the beta stage.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 11
^^ Well...now Firefox 4.0 has been released...so now I'm forced to use IE9
confused.gif
. I hate internet explorer.

Edit: As posted earlier:

"Also, you can switch to editors under My Profile --> Edit Account Details. The BB Code Editor seems to work better."

THIS TOTALLY FIXED THINGS FOR ME!!! Thanks

wilyodysseus

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm on top of this as much as I can be.  No one is pushing for improvements to the text editing functions here more than me.  I know this has been an ongoing thing, but it will be improved.  And I mean that, I'm not just spouting some rah rah optimism.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm on top of this as much as I can be.  No one is pushing for improvements to the text editing functions here more than me.  I know this has been an ongoing thing, but it will be improved.  And I mean that, I'm not just spouting some rah rah optimism.

Thanks Jude....I shall rest at ease knowing that you're on the case. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back