Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,006 of 6,517
They sent you just the new package alone? nice... I had to send mine for a 2nd refit... :frowning2:
So I requested to send in the new packaging as well. The only silver lining..

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,008 of 6,517
I really enjoyed fir quality and the experience past with m4 and m5 was very enjoyable.

And I ordered new wax vac, pelican case, new leather round case! And couple accessories.

Fir audio is really high quality products and strong reliable!

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,009 of 6,517
I definitely have to join this thread, since I just recently received my custom M5's...my first pair of customs. I have the side benefit of living less than 15 minutes from Fir Audio, so I was able to drop in for a demo of their entire lineup (did the same with 64 Audio a couple of months earlier). Bogdan was very accommodating and made me feel right at home. I instantly fell in love with the M5's and asked him for a recommendation for an audiologist in the area to have my ear molds done. His answer was "I'm glad you liked them. I can do your ear molds for you if you'd like. That way we can get the ball rolling if you decide to order." Long story short, he did them for me on the spot right in his shop, which I was very grateful for. I brought in my own cable (Dunu Noble) for re-termination to RCX, but their was a big difference in the cable impedance, so the stock Fir cable he loaned me sounded far superior. I'm currently having a 4.4mm version made, along with a 3.5mm adapter to use the the tube output of the Cayin N8. I feel sorry for my other earphones/headphones, since I'll be listening solely to the M5's for a while. Just my two cents. :)

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,010 of 6,517
I definitely have to join this thread, since I just recently received my custom M5's...my first pair of customs. I have the side benefit of living less than 15 minutes from Fir Audio, so I was able to drop in for a demo of their entire lineup (did the same with 64 Audio a couple of months earlier). Bogdan was very accommodating and made me feel right at home. I instantly fell in love with the M5's and asked him for a recommendation for an audiologist in the area to have my ear molds done. His answer was "I'm glad you liked them. I can do your ear molds for you if you'd like. That way we can get the ball rolling if you decide to order." Long story short, he did them for me on the spot right in his shop, which I was very grateful for. I brought in my own cable (Dunu Noble) for re-termination to RCX, but their was a big difference in the cable impedance, so the stock Fir cable he loaned me sounded far superior. I'm currently having a 4.4mm version made, along with a 3.5mm adapter to use the the tube output of the Cayin N8. I feel sorry for my other earphones/headphones, since I'll be listening solely to the M5's for a while. Just my two cents. :)

Any impressions relative to the other models? So far the M5 is my favorite IEM I’ve heard in recent times, followed by the Vision Ears Elysium. The M5 to me is just so captivating and does everything so well, much prefer it over the VE Erlkonig also.

I actually emailed Bogdan also about pigtail adapters made from the Scorpion wire that the M5 comes with also. :)

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,011 of 6,517
I I brought in my own cable (Dunu Noble) for re-termination to RCX, but their was a big difference in the cable impedance, so the stock Fir cable he loaned me sounded far superior. :)

Same here I had my LEO II terminated to RCX only to find out the FIR cable beat it.
The 4.4 out on the N8 for the M5's is much better IMHO. More headspace and better dynamics when compared to the 3.5

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,012 of 6,517
Any impressions relative to the other models? So far the M5 is my favorite IEM I’ve heard in recent times, followed by the Vision Ears Elysium. The M5 to me is just so captivating and does everything so well, much prefer it over the VE Erlkonig also.

I actually emailed Bogdan also about pigtail adapters made from the Scorpion wire that the M5 comes with also. :)

I found m5 loves silver cables...
M4 copper

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,014 of 6,517
The M5 is literally the first IEM I’ve owned where I’ve had zero desire to cable roll. It’s been exceptional for my wallet. I can see a silver pairing working wonders though.

I am not sure 100% what it is why this happens but fir really has no need to cable rolling.
Your actually will make it worse!

Guess this is L.i.D 2 tech....

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,015 of 6,517
I am not sure 100% what it is why this happens but fir really has no need to cable rolling.
Your actually will make it worse!

Guess this is L.i.D 2 tech....

cable rolling makes a difference with the M5, I just think the stock M5 cable is very very good that the need to upgrade is more or less non existent. I definitely heard more end to end extension with the 1960s 4 wire on the M5, but not enough to warrant actually keeping it over the stock one.

the stock cable is quality, its not like the 64audio ones that are paper thin and tangle super easily.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,016 of 6,517

Welcome, 1BADJAD. Does that mean your kid is getting your Atlas?

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,017 of 6,517
cable rolling makes a difference with the M5, I just think the stock M5 cable is very very good that the need to upgrade is more or less non existent. I definitely heard more end to end extension with the 1960s 4 wire on the M5, but not enough to warrant actually keeping it over the stock one.

the stock cable is quality, its not like the 64audio ones that are paper thin and tangle super easily.

Interesting. I have my Trio in right now and haven't had any complaints about the cable since I got them. Just sitting around, waiting for another listen to the M4 or M5. :) In truth, the only cable I've actually disliked was an ALO hybrid 8-wire. For how thin it is it's really stiff and a pain to coil and uncoil for storage. Once it's all straightened out there's no problem for me, though.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,018 of 6,517
Just signed for the tour pair of M2. Thoughts in a few days.

Feb 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,019 of 6,517
So the retail FiR M5 packaging arrived for me today. Very very impressive and well put together. Here are some pictures and comparisons to the packaging/accessories that I received when I got the M5 back at the beginning of January. I’m doing this from mobile so hopefully it looks okay, sorry if this has been posted already. The aluminum case and accessories holder are what I received back in January. The new leather case is a solid amount bigger and is much better in my opinion, the aluminum one is on the small side and I didn’t even use it for that reason. The leather case reminds me a lot of the one Effect Audio uses for the Leonidas, it is fantastic and as you can see it holds the cleaning brush and ATOM modules if you get those on your CIEM.

yes very similar to the Leo case

I prefer the fir cases design
8C95BB76-25D7-4B2B-8C9B-9489F369885A.jpeg

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,020 of 6,517

The Scorpion cable is one of the finest cable with balance between sound and ergonomics. The Noir actually uses the scorpion wire. But the little know secret is this cable on the original fourte actually addresses the sharp highs everyone speaks of. It smoothens things out. I had a chance to demo the scorpion to Vitaliy at the winter namm show 2019 and he concurred. Shortly after came the noir.

A8E1332E-85D9-4C63-AC3C-B04CBC16A325.jpeg

Last edited:
FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back