Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 31, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,396 of 1,423
You are one very lucky listener along with reddog and myself. I don't know if there were any others. This is an amazing amp. I arose early this morning to start in. Currently spending a lot of time with the selector knob set for BMB. It really is that good.

Have a look at our first A/B comparison using the Project Sunrise III amp (with 12BH7 Electro-Harmonix tube, this is important):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/30#post_12024000

Also interesting to note that the GMB Balanced outputs produce 6 dB SPL more than the single ended output (typical balanced vs unbalanced difference in pro audio). This results in a lot of comments along the lines of SE being inferior to balanced. When level matched and A/B quickly, most of my volunteers have greater difficulty discerning audible differences.

Thanks, I'll take a look later.

Just FYI, when A/B'ing with the Liquid Carbon, the phase splitter makes it so you don't have to volume match. It's very easy to tell the differences when you just have to flip a switch back and forth. You'll see for yourself soon enough.

Glad your Liquid Crimson is on the way, it is a fantastic amp. I just got done burning it in, and bow have the Crimson hooked up to my Yggdrasil, listening Zappa and I am quite happy. The Liquid Glass is better but the Crimson is no slouch, and is a lot of fun to listen to. I will roll out the stock tube sometime next week. I hope you really enjoy your Liquid Crimson, when it gets to you Stillhart.:)

Thanks man! Everyone says the Glass is better but the RMAF show pricing makes the Crimson a value that's hard to beat. :-D

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,397 of 1,423
My Liquid Crimson should be coming next week as well.  I'm very excited!  I've been in lust with it since I first heard it and I can hardly believe that I'm actually getting one! 

Atomicbob, that's some nice gear you got there.  I'm looking forward to hearing your comparison of the BMB and GMB.  Interesting note:  the GMB SE outputs sound notably worse than the balanced outputs.  I wouldn't be surprised if you found not much difference between the two on the SE Liquid Crimson.  You might even find the BMB to sound better!.

Well, so you did! Glad to hear. Hope my ribbing help make the decision easier.

Jim

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,398 of 1,423
LAu is still available on eBay! $2850 with "make an offer". Cheers

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,399 of 1,423
LAu is still available on eBay! $2850 with "make an offer". Cheers

That is a great price. I would have to sell some gear to get the the LAU. However I am very happy with what I already have..

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,400 of 1,423
That is a great price. I would have to sell some gear to get the the LAU. However I am very happy with what I already have..

What you have (or soon will) should delight your ears for a long time to come. We had a mini-meet and though the Liquid Crimson is not fully power aged, the auditory enjoyment was apparent to all. Have been listening to BiMB + LiqCrim + HD650 for the last several hours. Very addictive.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,401 of 1,423

Who are you and what did you do with reddog?!?

What you have (or soon will) should delight your ears for a long time to come. We had a mini-meet and though the Liquid Crimson is not fully power aged, the auditory enjoyment was apparent to all. Have been listening to BiMB + LiqCrim + HD650 for the last several hours. Very addictive.

Power aged?  Is this the way to say "burn in" without people going "there's no such thing as burn-in"?  :-D

Seriously tho, it sounds fantastic doesn't it?  Can't wait for mine!

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,402 of 1,423

Power aged?  Is this the way to say "burn in" without people going "there's no such thing as burn-in"?  :-D

Seriously tho, it sounds fantastic doesn't it?  Can't wait for mine!

Power aging is very common in electronics manufacturing, especially in the medical and industrial segments. First 100 hrs to weed out infant mortality of components (search on bathtub curve failure) and also allow sensitive circuits to settle in. I make a distinction between global device power age and instance warm up. Eg: first 100 hrs of tube power age vs. each session 1 hr warm up. Some call power age burn-in, but I think power age is a better, more descriptive term, as do most of the mfg segments I mention, as it will be called out as such in the device test procedures.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #1,403 of 1,423
So... yes.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,404 of 1,423
  Has anybody else been considering music players or streamers, instead of DAC only units?

I've been thinking about the Sony HAP-1S.  Its a digital player/DAC/speaker amp.  The only box not checked is no balanced out, which Alex has said isn't super important, because of the splitter inside of the LC.  This is very tempting to me....

Interesting idea.  Given one of the negative posts re: Sony, I'd be interested in other options that people like.  High res is nice but not necessarily essential to me, ability to play FLAC, WAV, AIFF is as well as very good DAC.  Internal storage seems nice, though I would be okay using external USB hard drive if there weren't other issues that presented.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,406 of 1,423
Guys, it's getting late...ready or not...

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,407 of 1,423
Well I've been a boasting and a posting in the other LC threads as mine arrived today. I just want to say the Emotiva Stealth Dac 1 sounds magnificent with the LC. I set it up with the balanced outputs.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,410 of 1,423
Picture of stack please!
It was a quick and dirty setup. My Emotiva DAC has vents on top and my xlr ' s are 9 inches. The two units are sitting next to each other at a 45 degree angle. And Great Caesars Ghost! That's the secret to the sound. The two units are spread out so funny I'm getting a bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back