Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,381 of 1,423
Good luck with the sale...any LC purchasers looking for that R2R DAC to make the LC sing?

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,382 of 1,423
Good luck with the sale...any LC purchasers looking for that R2R DAC to make the LC sing?

I've got the Audio-gd DAC 19 ready 
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,384 of 1,423
I just received my Multibit Uber Bifrost with the Multibit upgrade last week. Sounds fantastic, just short of my souled up Monarchy M22B.

So I just placed it on the F/S Forum if anybody is interested.

I prefer my Theta over the Bifrost MB for most of my music. The Bifrost MB still has a ton of resolution as a DAC. I think it might be lacking some of the body and dynamics of the bigger DACs out there with much larger power supplies.

I'm holding on to mine for now. I'm waiting to receive my repaired and upgraded EAD CD1000mkIII that has all caps replaced with Elna Silmic II and other various tweaks and damping mods done to it.

Now that it has been taken care of, the money I was going to spend on my Liquid Carbon has been rerouted to my vintage DAC (mis)adventures. I really enjoyed the sound of my dying EAD CD-1000 before it crapped out. Since it actually had leaking capacitors I'm glad they caught it before they could damage the other parts or cause it to short. I have a good feeling that it will sound even better than before and it will resume use in my dad's BH Crack + HD600 setup.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,385 of 1,423

I prefer my Theta over the Bifrost MB for most of my music. The Bifrost MB still has a ton of resolution as a DAC. I think it might be lacking some of the body and dynamics of the bigger DACs out there with much larger power supplies.

I'm holding on to mine for now. I'm waiting to receive my repaired and upgraded EAD CD1000mkIII that has all caps replaced with Elna Silmic II and other various tweaks and damping mods done to it.

Now that it has been taken care of, the money I was going to spend on my Liquid Carbon has been rerouted to my vintage DAC (mis)adventures. I really enjoyed the sound of my dying EAD CD-1000 before it crapped out. Since it actually had leaking capacitors I'm glad they caught it before they could damage the other parts or cause it to short. I have a good feeling that it will sound even better than before and it will resume use in my dad's BH Crack + HD600 setup.

If DAC 19 wasn't arround I would have gone Theta as well 
smile.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,386 of 1,423

No LC for you?

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,388 of 1,423

No LC for you?

Probably not :frowning2: I spent about the same amount of the LC on the repairs and mods to my CD player including shipping. Plus I acquired an HD600 and BH Crack this year...

I ran the LC against my Asgard 2 single ended at Dan's mini-meet and I found out they are pretty much equal on that level. I tried the Alpha Dogs balanced from the LC and they got loud a lot quicker and had slightly more punch but not the difference everyone has been proclaiming. The Theta with the double voltage output at 4V hooked up to the Asgard 2 sings just as loudly and is also a much better DAC than the Gungnir 1 that the LC was hooked up to.

I really want a Liquid Carbon but can't justify it yet when I don't have any balanced DAC like a Gumby. My original goal was to acquire a Liquid Carbon at the $600 price and hang onto it until I get a Gumby.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,389 of 1,423
Some folks have dropped out, not sure it really made sense for me with a MicroZOTL 2 and RSA HR-2 in the house, but the reports were SO amazingly positive, jumped in on impulse. Sounds like you did well with vintage audiophile gear like Theta and EAD. I've been thinking about a vintage dac myself, either to buy, or maybe refurbish an old Meitner BiDat I have sitting around. But, between the amp expenditures, and having fallen into the LH Labs rabbit hole to the tune of too much dinero, have to sit right for now, unless somehow I have a huge audio garage sale...
Think you did fine, enjoy, "don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy", to quote the Eagles.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,390 of 1,423

Probably not :frowning2: I spent about the same amount of the LC on the repairs and mods to my CD player including shipping. Plus I acquired an HD600 and BH Crack this year...

I ran the LC against my Asgard 2 single ended at Dan's mini-meet and I found out they are pretty much equal on that level. I tried the Alpha Dogs balanced from the LC and they got loud a lot quicker and had slightly more punch but not the difference everyone has been proclaiming. The Theta with the double voltage output at 4V hooked up to the Asgard 2 sings just as loudly and is also a much better DAC than the Gungnir 1 that the LC was hooked up to.

I really want a Liquid Carbon but can't justify it yet when I don't have any balanced DAC like a Gumby. My original goal was to acquire a Liquid Carbon at the $600 price and hang onto it until I get a Gumby.

Hey, you have a Bifrost MB, BH Crack and HD600. You have a lot of great listening ahead of you. As far as the LC requiring balanced to give great results, I have all three of the Schiit MB DACs and intend to evaluate the Liquid Carbon with all three. Have to be careful now about LC and I recently acquired a Liquid Crimson, of which today several of us will be comparing the BiMB and GuMB as sources with the Liquid Crimson, using HD800 and HD650:

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,391 of 1,423
I'd love to hear what happens as you move up the food chain in electronics (i.e., the Liquid Crimson). (Then again, maybe I'm better off if I don't hear...). Awaiting my Liquid Carbon, have the MicroZOTL2 and RSA HR-2. Most of my investment is in the main speaker rig, though I have jumped in cans to the HEK. Maybe someone will have something similar at the Stamford Ct meet in 2 weeks to audition.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,392 of 1,423
My Liquid Crimson should be coming next week as well.  I'm very excited!  I've been in lust with it since I first heard it and I can hardly believe that I'm actually getting one! 

Atomicbob, that's some nice gear you got there.  I'm looking forward to hearing your comparison of the BMB and GMB.  Interesting note:  the GMB SE outputs sound notably worse than the balanced outputs.  I wouldn't be surprised if you found not much difference between the two on the SE Liquid Crimson.  You might even find the BMB to sound better!.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,393 of 1,423
  My Liquid Crimson should be coming next week as well.  I'm very excited!  I've been in lust with it since I first heard it and I can hardly believe that I'm actually getting one! 

Atomicbob, that's some nice gear you got there.  I'm looking forward to hearing your comparison of the BMB and GMB.  Interesting note:  the GMB SE outputs sound notably worse than the balanced outputs.  I wouldn't be surprised if you found not much difference between the two on the SE Liquid Crimson.  You might even find the BMB to sound better!.

You are one very lucky listener along with reddog and myself. I don't know if there were any others. This is an amazing amp. I arose early this morning to start in. Currently spending a lot of time with the selector knob set for BMB. It really is that good.

Have a look at our first A/B comparison using the Project Sunrise III amp (with 12BH7 Electro-Harmonix tube, this is important):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/30#post_12024000

Also interesting to note that the GMB Balanced outputs produce 6 dB SPL more than the single ended output (typical balanced vs unbalanced difference in pro audio). This results in a lot of comments along the lines of SE being inferior to balanced. When level matched and A/B quickly, most of my volunteers have greater difficulty discerning audible differences.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,394 of 1,423
The next meeting I will attend to there will be a guy who has the Liquid Crimson, can't wait to hear it after today where I heard the Liquid Glass. Can't help but think that Cavalli Audio makes some of the best amplifiers arround.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,395 of 1,423

Glad your Liquid Crimson is on the way, it is a fantastic amp. I just got done burning it in, and bow have the Crimson hooked up to my Yggdrasil, listening Zappa and I am quite happy. The Liquid Glass is better but the Crimson is no slouch, and is a lot of fun to listen to. I will roll out the stock tube sometime next week. I hope you really enjoy your Liquid Crimson, when it gets to you Stillhart.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back