Final SONOROUS III
May 2, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #19 of 162
Yeah, great headphone imo. About two hours on them. I'm usually quick to dismiss headphones but not this one.

Compared to Hope VI it's dryer sounding and more neutrally balanced which results in a clearer and cleaner overall image. I noticed that Hope can loose some of its openness in certain parts. I feel the reason behind it is an exaggeration or V-shape in Hope's low and also high end. Impact is about the same but Sonorous doesn't reach as deep low and high. For my taste this strenght is at the same time its weakness. Besides comfort complete victory is Sonorous' treble which is way smoother even polite. 

Mind you, I've listened to EDM tunes. However much I like the Sonorous for EDM I still prefer Hope VI mostly because of its spot on low end and rumble and maybe its treble bite. It can sting and is a bit of a love/hate for me. Sonorous sounds less engaging to me. It's good but slightly bland. In comparison.

Going to spend a little more time with the two for sure.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 162
I just purchased a set of these and am very impressed with them but can't compare against a lot. I auditioned Oppo PM3, B&W P7, and PSB M4u as that's what I was able to and was roughly in this price bracket. I was considering heading to the next price bracket as I didn't like those that much, until someone suggested the Sonorous to me.

I prefer it overall to any of those auditioned. I did like the PM3 most out of the other three but felt it just wasn't that exciting or dynamic, or had enough 'go' but I only tested it with a meridian explorer unamped. 

The Sonorous is really only semi portable in my view. It is quite large, and is also a bit heavy (but comfortable, more so than P7 but not as light as the oppo), but it does have good isolation.

I've listened to some electronica (with both deep and punchy/fast bass) as well as piano concertos and some strings (I only got the phones today) and they were excellent on both. I'm driving them with a Mojo but they also sounded good on a meridian explorer (but obviously not as good as the Mojo).

I read the 6 moons review of these which really convinced me to try them, and while I don't have a lot of comparisons, I'm very happy so far. I also enjoy them far more than my shure se425 IEMs which is what I was using before these (and will upgrade them to newer IEMs later as well).

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 162
  I just purchased a set of these and am very impressed with them but can't compare against a lot. I auditioned Oppo PM3, B&W P7, and PSB M4u as that's what I was able to and was roughly in this price bracket. I was considering heading to the next price bracket as I didn't like those that much, until someone suggested the Sonorous to me.

I prefer it overall to any of those auditioned. I did like the PM3 most out of the other three but felt it just wasn't that exciting or dynamic, or had enough 'go' but I only tested it with a meridian explorer unamped.

The Sonorous is really only semi portable in my view. It is quite large, and is also a bit heavy (but comfortable, more so than P7 but not as light as the oppo), but it does have good isolation.

I've listened to some electronica (with both deep and punchy/fast bass) as well as piano concertos and some strings (I only got the phones today) and they were excellent on both. I'm driving them with a Mojo but they also sounded good on a meridian explorer (but obviously not as good as the Mojo).

I read the 6 moons review of these which really convinced me to try them, and while I don't have a lot of comparisons, I'm very happy so far. I also enjoy them far more than my shure se425 IEMs which is what I was using before these (and will upgrade them to newer IEMs later as well).

Glad you like them. I'm loving mine, and for comparison sakes I have  Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, plus a pair of vintage Yamaha HP-1  ortho dynamics to compare to. I run a Bakoon HDA 5210 MK3 amp.
All cans I own have their strengths, but I seem to drift back to using the Sonorous III headphones and they remain my favourite at this time.
 Even with my portable rig (Fiio X3 2nd gen) they are excellent, but as you pointed out, they are a little too large for portability.

Ironically I just purchased a pair of Shure SE425 IEMs to use with my Fiio rig. :)

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 162
  Ironically I just purchased a pair of Shure SE425 IEMs to use with my Fiio rig. :)

My comparison with these was probably a bit unwise, I've enjoyed mine for a long time, but I guess you realise what's possible with good headphones then start looking at upper tier IEMs for a similar experience.

I recently upgraded my DACs (Mojo and Dragonfly black) so will try the 425s a bit more with each, but am on a bit of an upgrade mission already it seems

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #25 of 162

Glad you like them. I'm loving mine, and for comparison sakes I have  Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, plus a pair of vintage Yamaha HP-1  ortho dynamics to compare to. I run a Bakoon HDA 5210 MK3 amp.
All cans I own have their strengths, but I seem to drift back to using the Sonorous III headphones and they remain my favourite at this time.
 Even with my portable rig (Fiio X3 2nd gen) they are excellent, but as you pointed out, they are a little too large for portability.

So how do you like them now after you've had them for awhile?

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 162

So how do you like them now after you've had them for awhile?

I still like them a hell of a lot, and they are still my go - to set of headphones. They seem (IMO) to do most things very well, with no stand out strengths. Decent bass, good treble extension without being bright, neutral would be a pretty decent description I think. And although some might find them heavy at 410grams, I find them comfortable.

I have a pair of ZMF Omni's (Cherry) arriving early next week so they probably won't be top of my pile much longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 162
Jul 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #28 of 162

I still like them a hell of a lot, and they are still my go - to set of headphones. They seem (IMO) to do most things very well, with no stand out strengths. Decent bass, good treble extension without being bright, neutral would be a pretty decent description I think. And although some might find them heavy at 410grams, I find them comfortable.

I have a pair of ZMF Omni's (Cherry) arriving early next week so they probably won't be top of my pile much longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using the MSR7 as my commute phones, want to try something different.
I'm a big man I can handle the weight of the phones. I like that they are closed back.
Ohhh the ZMF's are pretty! Fostex strikes again. I have the alpha dogs so i'll pass on the ZMF'S.
I'll be looking for your review of the ZMF's.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #29 of 162

I'm using the MSR7 as my commute phones, want to try something different.
I'm a big man I can handle the weight of the phones. I like that they are closed back.
Ohhh the ZMF's are pretty! Fostex strikes again. I have the alpha dogs so i'll pass on the ZMF'S.
I'll be looking for your review of the ZMF's.
biggrin.gif

you are listening without an amplifier?

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 162
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/27302/

My review of the Sonorous III (I compared it to some other headphones out there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back