Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,142 of 11,670
Enjoying Heaven VI currently, the difference between Heaven IV is huge!

Where did you buy it from? Is it really worth 3 times the cost of Heaven IV? Does it sound weird like the Piano Forte series (horn speakers-like) or more mainstream like Heaven IV?

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,143 of 11,670
I really wish people would stop saying the PF's sound weird, to my ears and many other friends of mine who have heard them the only thing odd about them is they sound like music, not some equipment playing music!

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,144 of 11,670
I really wish people would stop saying the PF's sound weird, to my ears and many other friends of mine who have heard them the only thing odd about them is they sound like music, not some equipment playing music!

+1

My PF X-G is so divine... I could just listening to the music for hours instead of analyzing how good it sounds... Thank you FAD for making these beautiful phones...

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,145 of 11,670
I know I've mentioned this before, but my theory regarding the "weirdness" of the Piano Fortes is that peoples' expectations are largely informed by what they listen to and how they listen to it. The Piano Fortes have a purposeful bandwidth limited sound because this is usually perceived as sounding analog or vintage. This was FAD's goal from the outset. A lot of music is going to have most of its information in this region, and it's only when the extremes of the audible spectrum are being presented that those limits get "set off" so to speak. Put another way: some music is going to sound "right" on the PFs while other music not so much. If someone listens to a lot of music that is pushing up against these limits---recordings with a lot of information at either FR extreme---then it's understandable to me that it sounds weird on the PFs.

I think a lot of audiophiles are used to very tipped up signatures, especially in the treble region because this is commonly perceived as making details stand out more. This gives certain transducers a very "hi-fi" sort of sound. Typically this is what one finds on a lot of expensive transducers, too. I think this might lead to an expectation for how a high end transducer sounds, and when the signature deviates this is perceived as weird. Same thing happened with the first version of the LCD-2 for a lot of people. The LCD-2 rev. 1 has a very shelved treble. Some folks hear this as sounding very natural, while other folks hear it as very unnatural.

To be perfectly frank, I kind of don't want this thread to turn into yet another mindless appreciation thread where anything but kind words about the product in question gets dismissed. I'm not saying anyone is guilty of this, I just hope that we can all separate our subjective appreciation from more objective information (like the fact that the PFs are bandwidth limited). I mean, I for one can totally see why people would find the PFs weird. That in no way impacts my enjoyment of them. Instead of "weird" perhaps "unique" would be a better term.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,146 of 11,670
Quote:

To be perfectly frank, I kind of don't want this thread to turn into yet another mindless appreciation thread where anything but kind words about the product in question gets dismissed. I'm not saying anyone is guilty of this, I just hope that we can all separate our subjective appreciation from more objective information (like the fact that the PFs are bandwidth limited). I mean, I for one can totally see why people would find the PFs weird. That in no way impacts my enjoyment of them. Instead of "weird" perhaps "unique" would be a better term.

Exactly.

Add in the boosted and resonant mid range, and you've got a sound signature that will either work bloody magic on a track, or sound lmake it sound like a turd

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,147 of 11,670
Unique is a much better word I feel.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,149 of 11,670
My FAD PF IX is on sale, they are in mint condition. Take a look if you are interested. I bought them from musica acoustics.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655061/final-audio-design-piano-forte-ix-1-week-old

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,150 of 11,670
I just received my Heaven VI and it is quite a departure to the IV. In fact i am comparing it to the westone 4 and it is impressing much more that then W4. It is tuned like a great head fier earphone to my ears, one that many will enjoy!

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,151 of 11,670
I just received my Heaven VI and it is quite a departure to the IV. In fact i am comparing it to the westone 4 and it is impressing much more that then W4. It is tuned like a great head fier earphone to my ears, one that many will enjoy!

Heaven IV vs Heaven VI - fight, fight, fight! Maybe Nail 2 V2 could referee...

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,152 of 11,670
Quote:

I prefer my VI to the W4, ES5, and any other IEM or CIEM except the FI-BA-SS and PF IX. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,153 of 11,670

I prefer my VI to the W4, ES5, and any other IEM or CIEM except the FI-BA-SS and PF IX. 

Clearly heaven VI is a great IEM, I really would like to read a direct comparison to Heaven IV and Nail 2 V2 - my 2 best IEMs at the moment

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,154 of 11,670
I was wondering how the Piano Forte series sounds with orchestral trailer music, which is essentially all I listen to.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,155 of 11,670
Can I ask as someone who really enjoys the Signature Pro, would the Heaven S satisfy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back