Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #5,146 of 11,664
  If you could have one FAD IEM besides the Lab 1 (and assuming you don't have the Lab 1), which would you choose? 

I'd like to pick up my first FAD, but torn between FI BA SS, PF IX, and Heaven VIII. Thinking that Heaven VIII might be the way to go because it seems like it is a better all-rounder.

I can only speak for the VII, but this one's definitely a better all-rounder than the SS and PFs. Plus, the cable inspires more confidence than on the older FAD models.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #5,147 of 11,664

I can only speak for the VII, but this one's definitely a better all-rounder than the SS and PFs. Plus, the cable inspires more confidence than on the older FAD models.

I gotta admit SS has really crappy cables but the sound with the 240 is like nothing else, so it's like a take it or leave it thing.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #5,149 of 11,664

Have you tried the Heaven VII with your 240? I don't have a 240, but from my sources the VII sound quite close to the SS, just a little less raw and more refined.

I will try in maybe a month or so when I have time. Kinda off topic but how do you compare your SS to your IE800s?

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #5,152 of 11,664
  Finally completed my comparison of the Heaven 7, Heaven 8, Lab 1 here.  Easily one of the most difficult reviews/comparisons I have ever done. 

EDIT: So so sorry for the bad link.

Thank you so much for this 
gs1000.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5,155 of 11,664
Thought I'd quote this over from Romy's thread to revive the old tradition of music recommendations in the FAD thread. Contrary to my last post on Penguin Cafe Orchestra, this stuff isn't particularly suited for the Piano Fortes imo, but instead sounds excellent on all Heaven IEMs and the FI-BA-SS:

Unfortunately I haven't found time to compile a best of year list so far. Part of the albums I liked have already been mentioned though.
However, here are two lesser known ones that easily rank among my very favorites of 2014:

Johannes Berauer - The Vienna Chamber Diaries

A highly melodic and romantic, but at the same time complex and demanding jazz / classical crossover album by an incredibly gifted young fellow Austrian. Though officially released in 2013, I didn't become aware of it until 2014, which just goes to show how little known Johannes Berauer is, even in his home country.

Expect this to take some time until you get into it... it certainly took me several listens, but over time developed into one of my best loved albums of 2014.

Teaser:

"Free Fall" (track #4):

MP3 download @Amazon US: link
CD @Amazon UK: link

Natalia Sikora - BWB Experience (Bezludna Wyspa Bluesa / Desert Island Blues)

This is not a joke... I don't speak / understand a word of Polish. And I'm usually not much of a blues fan. Yet still, Natalia Sikora's album "BWB Experience" ended up ranking among my most played albums of 2014. And her track "Insomnia" is probably my favorite song of the year.

Let me explain: I simply love artists who pour their very heart and soul, their very self into their music. From Maria Callas to Cecilia Bartoli, from Janis Joplin to Jeffrey Lee Pierce to... Natalia Sikora. The first thing you'll find when googling her is a slightly accent-ridden, but vocally stunning rendition of Joplin's "Cry Baby". She won a talent show in 2013, but make no mistake, this isn't your usual short-lived talent show "wonder", this is an amazingly accomplished artist in her late twenties who's able to master virtually everything from chanson to hard rock with near-perfection. There's just one catch, she seems to be much more at ease with her native language than English, and that's probably the main reason why you haven't already heard of her before.

I won't deny that the Polish vocals on "Bezludna Wyspa Bluesa" took me some time getting used to, but in the end the album turned out to be an incredibly rewarding listen, an exceptionally well-recorded tour de force, featuring a tight-playing band and... dat voice!

"Insomnia"

"BWB Experience" (entire album)

CD @Amazon US: link
CD @Amazon UK: link

Bonus: Natalia Sikora clips worth watching...

"Cry Baby" (Janis Joplin cover - not on the album)

"Tomaszów" (see spoiler below - not on the album)

This is a sad chanson about the Polish town Tomaszow, where thousands of Jews were driven from their homes and subsequently executed by the Nazis during WWII.

(Translation by Katarzyna Skonieczna)

Would you consider, my darling
To go to Tomaszow for a day?
Maybe that very same September silence,
Still can be found there, in the golden dusk…
In that white house, in that room,  
Which strangers filled up with their furniture,
We have to finish our conversation,
That from the past, sadly uncompleted…
It's there where at the round table, still
We are sitting very still, like bewitched!
Who will rescue us from that spell?
Who will shake us awake out of cruel oblivion?
The salty little drop is still flowing
To my lips from my fair eyes,
And you answering me nothing
And you are eating white grapes…
And yet, my eyes are signing to you:
'Du holde Kunst…', and my heart is cracking!
And I have to go, so you are saying goodbye,
But your hand doesn't tremble in mine…
And I went, I left
That conversation broke like a dream,
And I blessed and cursed you:
'Du holde Kunst! So - without a word?'
That white house, that dead room
Even today is surprised, doesn't believe…
The strangers had put their furniture there,
And they were leaving it in thoughtful sadness…
But - everything has been left there!
Even that very same September silence…
So, would you consider, my dearest,
To go to Tomaszow for a day again?

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #5,156 of 11,664
Just got the VIII today and it took me a little bit to wrap my head around this sound. Still own the V and VI and the sound just gets warmer as I go up the chain. The VIII has a very big sound and the bass has a lot of body. I'm guessing the housing plays a major part to this sound. Lovely sound and I think this might be too warm for the neutral fan. I on the other hand chose this one over the VII because I expected more warmth. Absolutely beautiful looker and the cable is stellar finally.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5,157 of 11,664
Just got the VIII today and it took me a little bit to wrap my head around this sound. Still own the V and VI and the sound just gets warmer as I go up the chain. The VIII has a very big sound and the bass has a lot of body. I'm guessing the housing plays a major part to this sound. Lovely sound and I think this might be too warm for the neutral fan. I on the other hand chose this one over the VII because I expected more warmth. Absolutely beautiful looker and the cable is stellar finally.

Any comparison to the Lab1?

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #5,160 of 11,664
  Me neither. Doesn't mean I am not going to buy it.

How can one get the Lab 1 anymore?

Besides checking the For Sale section of head-fi (which prob won't have one in a while).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back