Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 21, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #286 of 11,665
Quote:
Having said that, and having just gone back and re-read your last post, I noticed you mentioned Diana Krall. Diana Krall, unfortunately, to me, has become a Led Zeppelin of sorts, or a kind of ASG-1, EPH-100, GR07, JH13/JH16, UM Miracle, SM3 or Heir A.4i, if you catch my drift.

Sorry for my late reply, yeah I think I get what you mean w/r/t Diana Krall. On the one hand, she's not among my very favorite artists, too polished and perfectionist and, well, probably trying too hard to be everybody's darling. On the other hand, I can't help but admire the stellar quality of her recordings, which imo sound better than 99% of the other stuff out there. So, while I rarely choose her music for casual listening, she has a permanent place on my playlist for critical auditioning.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #287 of 11,665
Quote:
[size=medium]Here is an experiment that I am conducting. I got[/size] [size=14pt]these[/size][size=14pt] on Amazon. [/size]
[size=medium][/size]

LOL
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #290 of 11,665
On the refrain of the PF IX letting me listen to albums that I never quite got around to listening to before, I am drinking in Radio Head's Kid A which I have had forever but somehow always ignored. At very low volumes (thank you Stepdance), this kind of diffracted (?) music is very enjoyable on the PF IX while I am surfing at my computer.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #291 of 11,665
Quote:
On the refrain of the PF IX letting me listen to albums that I never quite got around to listening to before, I am drinking in Radio Head's Kid A which I have had forever but somehow always ignored. At very low volumes (thank you Stepdance), this kind of diffracted (?) music is very enjoyable on the PF IX while I am surfing at my computer.

Keep going, keep going! Now give a proper listen to Amnesiac (if you also have it). It was actually one of Amnesiac's B-sides (which I happened to listen to almost by accident) that instantly grabbed my attention and told me to pay very close attention to this truly great band. The song in question was "The Amazing Sounds of Orgy" (brilliant low frequencies, amongst other things, in this track).

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #292 of 11,665
Thanks for the suggestion. I also have OK Computer and My Iron Lung* (similarly mostly ignored) but I will look for that. (Right now I'm all the way over to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.)

* Indeed this is not an album but actually the band's third EP. The title song later appeared on the album The Bends

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #293 of 11,665
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I also have OK Computer and My Iron Lung (similarly mostly ignored) but I will look for that. (Right now I'm all the way over to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.)

OK Computer is a great album.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #294 of 11,665
Ok Computer is a major part of my personal 90s soundtrack. I think it really captures the spirit of the decade.

And speaking of the 90s, I find the Piano Fortes to be one of the best choices for shoegaze. Listening to My Bloody Valentine and LoveLiesCrushing with them is magnificent.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #295 of 11,665
Sheesh, not content with convincing me of the IX's I have now just gone to eBay and purchased OK Computer and Amneasiac.. Believe it or not this will be the first time I have listened to Radiohead!

Now, showing my age, music from my twenties, Echo and the Bunnymen's album Ocean Rain is making its way through my Heavens as I type, love the whole art school edgy vibe of them!

Oh yes, MF, thank you so much for the PM, I am sorry I have not responded yet, have not been here much, your thoughts were much appreciated, thank you!

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #297 of 11,665
I was more of a Radiohead fan in high school (along with Beck and Ween...), and after Amnesiac I lost interest in them. A few years ago I "rediscovered" them with In Rainbows which I thought was a fantastic album. I also liked King of Limbs, and really those latter two are the only albums of theirs I listen to at the moment. Too many memories attached to The Bends through Amnesiac that I'm not fancying remembering at the moment. Although I did buy the vinyl represses of their catalog a few years ago. Oddly I have nothing but very happy memories attached to both The Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth, two other "high school bands," so I still listen to both semi-regularly. 

You've inspired me to listen to some Echo and the Bunnymen again, ianmedium. Along with some Siouxsie & the Banshees for added flavor.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #298 of 11,665
Quote:
And speaking of the 90s, I find the Piano Fortes to be one of the best choices for shoegaze. Listening to My Bloody Valentine and LoveLiesCrushing with them is magnificent.

Wikipedia: Shoegazing (also known as shoegaze) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. It lasted there until the mid 1990s, with a critical zenith reached in 1990 and 1991. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style shoegazing because the musicians in these bands stood relatively still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes.[1][2] The heavy use of effects pedals also contributed to the image of performers looking down at their feet during concerts.

...The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blend into the creative noise of the guitars. (my emphasis added 
biggrin.gif
)

New to me. Sounds like it is worth exploring.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #300 of 11,665
Quote:
New to me. Sounds like it is worth exploring.

Start with:

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
Nowhere by Ride
Ferment by Catherine Wheel
Whirlpool by Chapterhouse
Mezcal Head by Swervedriver
The Buried Life by Medicine
Just For A Day by Slowdive
Ask Me Tomorrow by Mojave 3
Frigid Stars by Codeine
Stenorette by Amp

Users who are viewing this thread