Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,806 of 11,644
I second music's advice on auditioning first before buying. It's not a gamble which you used to have (pardon me for my overgeneralization on your past gambles). PF is really an oddball in head gears, and maybe due to my shallow experience in various gears yet, I haven't come across something which sounds similar to PF series. Well, I plunge into PF 9 after I tried PF 8 and basically have a rough idea how PF series try to convey their musical perspective.

On a side note, heard my friend who just came back from Headphone Mook (talked with FAD's Guru Takei-san) said, the 4 air chambers are the main reason why PF sounds so airy and hall-like. Well, can't wait open the Pandra "Box" and hear the dynamic-BA magic! Rumour was that there wasn't any crossover used. Wonder how true is that.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,807 of 11,644
My new favourite amp for the PF IX and 1601SC is the Pico Power. It is throwing out more raw current than even the powerful Quickstep and this is eking out surprisingly rich bass and an overall full sound. The treble is a bit "organic", not at all sharp, which also suits these headphones well.

This works out great as I actually find that the Pico Power sometimes overwhelms the Heaven VI. It is a fun listen but the bass is leading the music even where it shouldn't. The Quickstep, which I also find to be just a bit faster, is a perfect fit with the Heaven VI. (KAEDE sounds great with both; still not sure which I prefer.) So it is back to the Quickstep as my portable and Pico Power at home. 

(Mike, I will be the first to concede that throwing 15 volts into the Quickstep could well close the power gap with the Pico Power. What can I say? I am a 9 volt guy.  
size]
)

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2,808 of 11,644
Stuck at page 90, the piano forte seem to be a product that you either love or hate, there is no middle ground and there is really no way to modify the sound. It seems our only option is to eq but than what is the point?

year ago I would not have looked at the FAD line and the past few days spend hours reading this thread. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,813 of 11,644
Quote:
Some combo to try:

Ak100 mod + Pico Power + PF IX / X-G

The results are so great, with the right tracks, they can make your jaws drop (and your wallet cry)

Oh I like this! I have USB Monica where you have the Ak100. USB Monica is a NOS DAC using the ancient Philips TDA1545 chip. It is a lovely organic source. With the Pico Power and the 1601SC / PF IX / KAEDE, this is my current favourite home rig.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2,817 of 11,644
Quote:
that USB dac is DIY right?

It is sold as a kit by Yeo at DIY Paradise. However, he was selling fully assembled DAC units at one point and this is that. The wood case is very simple and it is hand assembled by the proprietor.

It is a wonderful DAC.

Yeo's new top of the line is Discreet Monica. It weighs 3 kg, costs about 5 times as much and eschews DAC chips in favour of a discreet non-oversampling DAC resistor ladder that can also decode high-res digital music. That is very much on my long-term list...

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2,818 of 11,644
Quote:
My new favourite amp for the PF IX and 1601SC is the Pico Power. It is throwing out more raw current than even the powerful Quickstep and this is eking out surprisingly rich bass and an overall full sound. The treble is a bit "organic", not at all sharp, which also suits these headphones well.

This works out great as I actually find that the Pico Power sometimes overwhelms the Heaven VI. It is a fun listen but the bass is leading the music even where it shouldn't. The Quickstep, which I also find to be just a bit faster, is a perfect fit with the Heaven VI. (KAEDE sounds great with both; still not sure which I prefer.) So it is back to the Quickstep as my portable and Pico Power at home. 

(Mike, I will be the first to concede that throwing 15 volts into the Quickstep could well close the power gap with the Pico Power. What can I say? I am a 9 volt guy.  
size]
)

Haha!  There's a lot to be said for keeping the rig uncluttered (and more convenient).  
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,819 of 11,644
Muzac1234 :)

You seem like the FAD master around here. 

Which particular model do you like the most (in general, that gets the most ear time). Preferably if it surpasses the Kaedes (of course in its own way).
I'm eyeing those PFs... well, cuz they look cool :D.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #2,820 of 11,644
Muzac1234 :)

You seem like the FAD master around here. 

Which particular model do you like the most (in general, that gets the most ear time). Preferably if it surpasses the Kaedes (of course in its own way).
I'm eyeing those PFs... well, cuz they look cool :D.

The FAD Master & Mistress are, in fact, james444 & MuppetFace (MF) not our awfully charming sparrow; both James & MF own quite a few FAD phones, but MF, unlike James, also owns several, if not all, of the new Heaven models. I own four FAD phones: 1601SS, 1602 SS (aka PF IX), FI-BA-SS & FI-BA-SB (aka Heaven S).

Anyway, as far as my sonic preferences go, have a look at this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613641/final-audio-design-appreciation-discussion-thread/2130#post_9503656

It's been said quite a few times in this thread that the 1601s & 1602s are very different-sounding phones, very idiosyncratic, the type of sound several (or perhaps many) people might not enjoy / appreciate. You may want to have a look at this other post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620997/final-audio-design-piano-forte-ix-aka-1602ss-vs-1601ss#post_8580849

Users who are viewing this thread

Back