Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,341 of 11,665
up late, I think you should leave now. You're like that cousin who stays over a few nights too many, and insults your mom's cooking while he's at it.

We already have one graph crusader in Inks 
wink.gif

, we don't need another. 

As for Inks, it's amazing that the person who actually measured the PF VIII and analyzes IEMs admits that they have a charm, but it's his side kick who continues to bash them as crap.

Just in case you didn't know, there's an unsubscribe button to the left of the search button.

guess you only saw what you wanted to see in my posts too. and thanks for the hospitality. :wink:

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,342 of 11,665
Quote:
up late, I think you should leave now.

When exactly did you become an admin? Talk about self-important.

The silly thing is that he isn't even bashing the earphones, he's just saying that their idiosyncratic profiles don't meet the conventional requirements of 'high fidelity' (which the more clued-up fans readily acknowledge), and that people should stop getting their knickers in a twist if that's pointed out. He's far less dismissive than Inks, and unlike him, concedes that you shouldn't condemn an earphone you haven't heard. He doesn't crticise people for liking FAD products, just for being overly precious and naive about it. Surely people can live with that? A different category from the Inkbot in my view. Instead of acting the bouncer, how about just moving on, especially when there's little at stake for you?

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,343 of 11,665
If I may interrupt for a moment.

I hate you guys. Every last one of you.

Thanks to the recommendations of the wonderful members here in this fine fine thread, I just paid for a Meier Corda QuickStep that I barely have a need and the funds for I am sure will kick ass.

Would any of you kind souls do me the honor of answering a question and finding it in your hearts to make two more recommendations?

To get input from my desktop DAC, I should use an... RCA male to 3.5mm male cable?
If this is the case, could someone recommend me a frugal alternative that is just above absolute garbage that will degrade the signal?

Does anyone have a similar recommendation for a LOD for the iPhone 4S in case I run into a bout of momentary insanity and want to try a portable "rig?"

It's because I want people to ogle me in cafés to test if its the iPhone amp section that is the weak point.

Links to the FS section are also welcome.

Warmest regards,
-V

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,344 of 11,665
Quote:

When exactly did you become an admin? Talk about self-important.

The silly thing is that he isn't even bashing the earphones, he's just saying that their idiosyncratic profiles don't meet the conventional requirements of 'high fidelity' (which the more clued-up fans readily acknowledge), and that people should stop getting their knickers in a twist if that's pointed out. He's far less dismissive than Inks, and unlike him, concedes that you shouldn't condemn an earphone you haven't heard. He doesn't crticise people for liking FAD products, just for being overly precious and naive about it. Surely people can live with that? A different category from the Inkbot in my view. Instead of acting the bouncer, how about just moving on, especially when there's little at stake for you?

Dear quartertone. I was obviously being facetious, given my "unwanted cousin" analogy. I guess I'd better start using smileys in everything I say now for your benefit. And I hate when my posts are cherry picked. Please don't do that anymore.

Secondly, you'll notice that he has been "pointing this out" for well over 30 pages. We get it, and we've always got it. If you'll actually read his posts, it's not that he's saying the PF is not "conventionally" hi-fi, he's saying that they're not hi-fi at all.

When someone says the same thing over and over for a month, it begins to appear obnoxious.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,346 of 11,665

Thanks to the recommendations of the wonderful members here in this fine fine thread, I just paid for a Meier Corda QuickStep that I barely have a need and the funds for I am sure will kick ass.

Would any of you kind souls do me the honor of answering a question and finding it in your hearts to make two more recommendations?

To get input from my desktop DAC, I should use an... RCA male to 3.5mm male cable?
If this is the case, could someone recommend me a frugal alternative that is just above absolute garbage that will degrade the signal?

Does anyone have a similar recommendation for a LOD for the iPhone 4S in case I run into a bout of momentary insanity and want to try a portable "rig?"

It's because I want people to ogle me in cafés to test if its the iPhone amp section that is the weak point.

Warmest regards,
-V

I can't answer the RCA one but if I was doing it all over again with my classic/amp combo I must admit though the custom made LOD's are funky and nice the sound quality is really no different to getting something cheap like the Fiio.

I went the custom LOD route mainly for the low profile but found little or no difference in sq over it and the stock cable that came with my CLAS.

Guys and gals.

lets just carry on the way this thread has been going so well. Just do as I have done and block folks who are combative or argumentative in a non constructive way. I find they soon go off and piss on others parades pretty quickly when their ego's are not fed and to the two this is aimed at don't bother responding to this as I can't see your comments!

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,347 of 11,665
recommend you use the emoticons in future eke cos it wasn't obviously facetious to quartertone or me. :wink:

note to self - don't bother coming back here until you're ready to wax lyrical about the PFs and see measurements as the enemy. and don't forget to zip your fly and check your ego at the door before entering. :wink:

later FAD fans. :wink:

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,348 of 11,665
Thanks Ian. I was probably just going to get a FiiO, you know --> $10 and Amazon prime shipping, unless anyone has a better option.

Quote:
recommend you use the emoticons in future eke cos it wasn't obviously facetious to quartertone or me.
wink.gif

note to self - don't bother coming back here until you're ready to wax lyrical about the PFs and see measurements as the enemy. and don't forget to zip your fly and check your ego at the door before entering.
wink.gif

later FAD fans.
wink.gif

Wait wait wait... you all wear pants in here??
blink.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,349 of 11,665
Quote:

Warmest regards,
-V

You will love the Quickstep, I believe.

Very good cables at very good prices:  http://phantomcables.com/

Be sure to get the Premium (not Molded) cables.

Edit: Here is the consumer site for the Phantom Cables brand. Same company, same cables. And you can see the prices:

http://www.infinitecables.com/av_35mm-rca.html

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,350 of 11,665

Warmest regards,
-V

I really like my BTG mini to mini cable. I would definitely recommend an RCA to 3.5mm. Reasonable price and high quality.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,352 of 11,665
You will love the Quickstep, I believe.

Very good cables at very good prices:  http://phantomcables.com/

Be sure to get the Premium (not Molded) cables. For example, here is a 3 foot RCA to mini:  http://phantomcables.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=3084
Here is a 6 foot:  
http://phantomcables.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=3085

Edit: This page has all lengths. 
http://phantomcables.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=296
  You have to create a profile to see the prices. 

Thanks! They better be phenomenal prices if I have to make an account to see them lol.

I really like my BTG mini to mini cable. I would definitely recommend an RCA to 3.5mm. Reasonable price and high quality.

Prices are more reasonable than most, for shure.

RCA to 3.5mm to bypass the DAC's amp right?
BTG doesn't seem to have one of those...

[rule]

I feel like I'll get the next iPhone in a few months so I don't really want to spend a lot on a LOD that won't work with it but I'll definitely give them a hard look if the make one with the new connector.

Does anyone know how it works when you use mini to mini on a DAP? Would the signal get amped twice? and the quality would be where, the original amp bottleneck?

Before someone says off topic, this pretty much specifically for my Heaven V, for now. :smile:

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,354 of 11,665
I believe that is right, a mini out of the HP socket on the dap to the amp will be amping twice.

I must say with my old classic set up I did notice a better sonic difference using a LOD over the HP out way, not huge but it was there.

For me what is a greater sonic upgrade after trying all of the aftermarket cable options is going lossless.

I am so glad for FAD's captive cables, stops me messing about more with cable up grades. Don't get me wrong they can make a difference but not in my experience greater than going from lossy to lossless.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,355 of 11,665
recommend you use the emoticons in future eke cos it wasn't obviously facetious to quartertone or me. :wink:

note to self - don't bother coming back here until you're ready to wax lyrical about the PFs and see measurements as the enemy. and don't forget to zip your fly and check your ego at the door before entering. :wink:

later FAD fans. :wink:

Please don't play the victim. You knew very well what you've been doing.

You wouldn't go to the RNC and call Ronald Reagan the devil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back