FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 7, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #9,181 of 18,020
Was there really a volume boost with third-party apps like Spotify? I'm not really noticing it. Maybe my ears are going bad. Do I have to reinstall or something?

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #9,182 of 18,020
Glad I'm not the only one confused. I actually wonder how this happens. Maybe there is very little that needs to be done to make the app talk to the DAC? Perhaps the default Android audio handling routines are grabbed, and directed to the DAC? I think companies need to do a better job describing what really happens. You read all kinds of opinions here from people who think they know, but nobody to the best of my knowledge has in any meaningful way described the methods by which an app can access a specific hardware DAC as implemented on a DAP. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #9,183 of 18,020

Lazy? Not at all. That was quite a lengthy reply !!! Covered all i wanted to know !!! 
The sheer length of the reply already prevents me from quoting it !!!

THANKS A TON !!!
rep given
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #9,184 of 18,020
How does the AM2 fare in the EMI department?

With the release of both AM2 and DLNA capable firmware, I am curious to get feedbacks from this config. I hope that the Wifi module operating at full power when buffering tracks from a DLNA server won't create as much noise as before on the AM1 when buffering from Tidal/Qobuz.

My unit was showing the problem so I returned it, but before getting a new unit, I would like to know if this is still the lottery or if the problem is tackled (somehow...). Maybe AM2 solve the problem?

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #9,185 of 18,020
  How does the AM2 fare in the EMI department?

With the release of both AM2 and DLNA capable firmware, I am curious to get feedbacks from this config. I hope that the Wifi module operating at full power when buffering tracks from a DLNA server won't create as much noise as before on the AM1 when buffering from Tidal/Qobuz.

My unit was showing the problem so I returned it, but before getting a new unit, I would like to know if this is still the lottery or if the problem is tackled (somehow...). Maybe AM2 solve the problem?

Any WiFi related EMI issue you might encounter will have nothing to do with the amp module. That is due to a faulty design on some of the WiFi module supplied to FiiO. It only affects some X7 and not all of them. When that's the case, FiiO will repair the X7 for you. Whether it is AM1 or AM2 will not improve or degrade the WiFi performance of X7.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #9,186 of 18,020
More on my 200GB card problem.  The X7 was flaky with this card but reported no problems, just rebooted right after startup or when uninstalling an app.  Windows thought the card was fine even after CHKDSK.  I tried it in my AK120 II and the AK said that the card was damaged, so I reformatted it in the AK and then reloaded it.  It's now fine in the AK and the original 200GB card from the AK is working fine in the X7.  Some error detection and reporting in the X7 would be nice, like AK120 II has. I have about a dozen of the SanDisk 200GB cards and this is the first one I have had a problem with.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #9,188 of 18,020
Feb 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #9,190 of 18,020
Single ended, as opposed to balanced.

there's going to be another module, and probably 3rd party ones. the 3rd FiiO one has balanced AFAIK

also @Joe Bloggs, are you saying that you can blow up the k5 by simply having both USB cables attached? or only if you use the 11 pin one besides the usb B? (so normal micro will be fine)

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #9,191 of 18,020

Any WiFi related EMI issue you might encounter will have nothing to do with the amp module. That is due to a faulty design on some of the WiFi module supplied to FiiO. It only affects some X7 and not all of them. When that's the case, FiiO will repair the X7 for you. Whether it is AM1 or AM2 will not improve or degrade the WiFi performance of X7.

Technically it is. A class A amp circuitry is, by design, extremely sensitive to any EM perturbation coming from any sources. It has been discussed already on this thread.
More than that, the EMI noise issue was never encountered when using the Line Out output through external Amp (afaik). The X7 is the first class A amped DAP with wifi (that I think of).
Sony / A&K/...all have class D amp, there is a reason for that.

Basically, every X7 show some noise, but the quantity is very different between two units, and it depends greatly on which cans/IEM you use.

Having said that I can't wait to get news of this problem status as there is no alternative for me now. If you wanna play DSD with Iso, the X7 is the way to go ! (This and the DST support in FiiO music, like in Hiby Music app).

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,192 of 18,020

Technically it is. A class A amp circuitry is, by design, extremely sensitive to any EM perturbation coming from any sources. It has been discussed already on this thread.
More than that, the EMI noise issue was never encountered when using the Line Out output through external Amp (afaik). The X7 is the first class A amped DAP with wifi (that I think of).
Sony / A&K/...all have class D amp, there is a reason for that.

Basically, every X7 show some noise, but the quantity is very different between two units, and it depends greatly on which cans/IEM you use.

Having said that I can't wait to get news of this problem status as there is no alternative for me now. If you wanna play DSD with Iso, the X7 is the way to go ! (This and the DST support in FiiO music, like in Hiby Music app).

First of, I want to point out that there is no Class A amp in X7. both AM1 and AM2 are, as far as I know, Class AB in designed. You seems to be the only person to mention anything about X7 being Class A. Also, Class A doesn't mean it is "by design, extremely sensitive to any EM perturbation coming from any sources" when compared to Class AB. You can ONLY make that point when comparing to Class D design, and even that is not exactly "extremely" by any means. Even among all Class A and Class AB amp, there are those that are more susceptible to EMI and those that are not. The only mentioning of amp class in the past of this thread is that we are somewhat talking about Class D being almost immune to typical EMI.  But it doesn't mean all Class A and Class AB amp will always get affect by EMI. That will be a wrong assumption. You can take past FiiO's portable amps for example. most are Class AB in design and many of them has no problem with EMI. To provide further evidence that this is no an issue caused by the amp module, but of faulty WiFi module in some batch of X7, I have previously posted result of (*an unaffected by bad WiFi) X7+ AM1 measured with an audio analyzer while streaming showing no sign of any EMI issue.

As for EMI and amp module, I'll quote what James @ FiiO has posted 2 months ago (see highlight):

Hi James. I'm not trying to be negative about the X7. I love it a lot actually. I just want to enjoy it fully so that includes being able to enjoyed streaming music without interference.

Since you mention the AMP might be to blame, would changing the amp module with one of the AM2 or AM3 modules being released soon solve this issue? Also can you provide a whitelist of IEM or headphones from your known testing that doesn't cause this issue? If we still have the issue with the whitelist headphones I hope you can understand it might be a different issue and allow warranty to exchange for another new unit. Thanks.

the amp module help nothing to solve the interference of wifi signal and there are not means to release a whitelist headphones about this issus. hope you guys can understand us it is beyond our ability and it also depended on the other fators like the wifi signal and something else. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #9,194 of 18,020
You can probably use your phone next to the X7 and see if you can hear any interference.

As far as the amp module, any idea when the AM2 will be released or is still too early?

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #9,195 of 18,020
You can probably use your phone next to the X7 and see if you can hear any interference.

As far as the amp module, any idea when the AM2 will be released or is still too early?

Its still to early because they only released total 130 units in china before Chinese new year. I think we are expecting more after the Chinese new year because all workers back to work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back