FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,996 of 18,020
not to mention it would cost a lot for Fiio to run separate production for X7 with different materials for the case which does not give any tangible improvement. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,997 of 18,020
  Regarding the complaints about degrading SQ on the X5 . . . is the SQ degradation occurring whilst the EQ is invoked?

No, it was not--I was careful to disable the EQ.

You'll also want to read miceblue's comments about the X5. My experience seemed nearly identical to miceblue's, despite the fact we were using different units and presumably have different tastes.

Kind regards,
Brian

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,998 of 18,020
  Would the X7 wifi work with something like the Samsung wireless hard drive so that songs can be loaded on the hard drive?  

maybe, X7 should supports DLNA.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,999 of 18,020
Would the X7 wifi work with something like the Samsung wireless hard drive so that songs can be loaded on the hard drive?

I guess X7 should work with any wireless hard drive, not only Samsung, using either some Android file management app which supports Samba (SMB), or the Android app bundled with the drive (for Samsung Wireless drive, there's Android app imaginatively called Samsung Wireless, from Seagate Technology LLC).

However, according to James FiiO, Android in X7 may be limited in some ways, compared to full unmolested Android in smartphones/tablets (hello convergence), so if not Samba and not bundled Android app then there should be some other mechanism or protocol, like for example DLNA.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #2,000 of 18,020
@piotrekfronc you realize that SLR cameras use magnesium for the frame which is then covered in plastic. What you are feeling is a hard plastic coating or plastic forms over a frame.

Also, as mentioned, magnesium alloy is much more expensive than aluminum and would be too cost prohibitive to use in the X7 within the projected price.

The aluminum finish on the X5 is very nice, resists scratching, and is as sturdy as a tank. If FiiO goes the same route for the X7 I'd be very happy. Please don't judge the final product based on a quick engineer sample. And please, let the magnesium alloy argument rest, we've heard your opinion.

Like I said... I know it would be more expensive :)

Just hoping there would be an "ultimate" version, it would be even better than AK240 then...  You know, getting more ambitious doesnt hurt.

Good aluminium finish would be nice too, its just plain brushed aluminium... I scared it will be too ugly.

dslrs have metal painted finsih but its serious quality, when you hold it in hands you know you have something expensive in hands. With aluminium its easy to get dents and bend it.

Well... Im just making sure the finish will be top notch :) I dont mind extra money to be thrown in.

People, if quality is at the level, will be willing to pay properly. What I would do is: version pro and  version for "masses"...

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2,001 of 18,020

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm surprised you feel quite as strongly as you do, about brushed aluminium. After all, many DAPs are made from cheap plastic.

Please understand that I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you; I'm just saying I'm surprised you feel so strongly about brushed aluminium being 'bad'.

Ironically, the Nikon pic you posted is of a painted metal finish.

By the way, the pic James has posted of the brushed-aluminium amp module is only a development item, not a finalised production item, so the final production item may be much nicer.

Sorry for getting emotional :xf_eek:) , Im quite exited about this project and just trying to make sure its will be more than just awesome. SQ is not everything, superb case finish, sapphire glass for screen etc... its just things that add up to a very high end product.

Even one ugly detail can spoil the product!

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,002 of 18,020
Not to be personal but not everything you want is what everyone wants. BT or wifi is becoming quite popular in flagship daps and is quite useful to some. In regards to sd cards, you can always carry another one and swap it...

It seems that most people who own some DAP or other, also have a smart phone.  Why is it so necessary to put the lower quality BT or even low bitrate spotafy or pandora capability in a DAP designed primarily for higher quality sound?  I moved away from IPods to the better sound of my FiiO.  If one wants all that connectivity gimicry, use your smart phone.

What I'm hoping for is an X7 that will cause me to say, "X5 was good, but..."  For me, that means two mSD card slots, improved SQ (pushing closer to those upper-end players), and not all the bells and whistles that come with oober-connectivity through the internet.  I could see bluetooth being useful in some cases i.e., in the car.

It just sounds like many people are wanting an X7 that's a jack of all trades and a master o' none.
Just my thoughts.  No offence meant.  To each one's own.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,003 of 18,020
I am with @UElong on this. Pls focus on the sonics.
The extra features are cute but I humbly request a button for me to switch them all off.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2,004 of 18,020
  Like I said... I know it would be more expensive :)

Just hoping there would be an "ultimate" version, it would be even better than AK240 then...  You know, getting more ambitious doesnt hurt.

Good aluminium finish would be nice too, its just plain brushed aluminium... I scared it will be too ugly.

dslrs have metal painted finsih but its serious quality, when you hold it in hands you know you have something expensive in hands. With aluminium its easy to get dents and bend it.

Well... Im just making sure the finish will be top notch :) I dont mind extra money to be thrown in.

People, if quality is at the level, will be willing to pay properly. What I would do is: version pro and  version for "masses"...

Please forgive me eventually, but the uglyness arguement or if you like, over-obsession with surface looks sounds rather shallow.  If your eyes put you off buying an excellent sounding rig, maybe one should re-evaluate one's interest in this persuit of sound nurvanna.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2,005 of 18,020

It seems that most people who own some DAP or other, also have a smart phone.  Why is it so necessary to put the lower quality BT or even low bitrate spotafy or pandora capability in a DAP designed primarily for higher quality sound?  I moved away from IPods to the better sound of my FiiO.  If one wants all that connectivity gimicry, use your smart phone.

What I'm hoping for is an X7 that will cause me to say, "X5 was good, but..."  For me, that means two mSD card slots, improved SQ (pushing closer to those upper-end players), and not all the bells and whistles that come with oober-connectivity through the internet.  I could see bluetooth being useful in some cases i.e., in the car.

It just sounds like many people are wanting an X7 that's a jack of all trades and a master o' none.

There are some. BT is important for media remotes for example or streaming your library to your car - its not very important but its really MORE than nice to have - more meanss I would take and pay for it if its option.

I hope FIIO goes ambitious - there is no reason why they become more known than bose for example, but to match big boys they must go ambitious and hit the market with a top product, means no compromises, everything of the best etc. Including finish, design, software.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,007 of 18,020

You raise very good and reasonable questions. Perhaps, some of the answers may be found in this article:

10 technologies made obsolete by Android smartphones
http://www.androidauthority.com/10-technologies-obsolete-android-smartphones-405956

Smartphones are like the Swiss Army knife of the technology world. They can do a little bit of everything, and you only need to carry one device in your pocket to cover a lot of bases. Technological convergence is about increasing functions and delivering more features in a single package, and it’s hard to think of anywhere it has been more successful than in the smartphone market. The combination of portability and multiple functions has really driven the smartphone revolution.

It is not like some malicious or stupid users intentionally want 'X7 that's a jack of all trades and a master of none', it seems to me that DAP manufacturers, being pushed by increasing number of users, just follow the general convergence tendencies, whether we like it or not.

So, objectively, the possibilities for 'puritan ways' are narrowing, and what is realistically left is 'striking the right balance' way.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,008 of 18,020

+1

WiFi is my deal breaker.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,009 of 18,020
You raise very good and reasonable questions. Perhaps, some of the answers may be found in this article:

10 technologies made obsolete by Android smartphones
http://www.androidauthority.com/10-technologies-obsolete-android-smartphones-405956

It is not like some malicious or stupid users intentionally want 'X7 that's a jack of all trades and a master of none', it seems to me that DAP manufacturers just follow the general convergence tendencies, whether we like it or not.

I would never call anyone stupid or melicious for their opinions.  Everyone here raises issues that should be considered.  I made a loud statement of my thoughts and expect them to be argued with vigorously.  I'll read that convergence article as I'm curious.  But, I think while most technology converges, it doesn't always have to in some specialty areas like the nitch of SQ.
Oh, and by the way, I didn't call ...fronc's opinion stupid.  But, I did mean what I said.  He can yell at me if he chooses.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,010 of 18,020
Given existing DAPs in the market now how else can Fiio or other niche DAP maker churn out player after another just on the sole basis of "better SQ" how would one measure "better SQ" than say an X5? It's a very subjective term. I'm pretty sure X7 will sound different but not exactly better. There will be people who will like it and some not.

So if Fiio won't add features which will add value to X7 then it how are they going to justify the higher price? Taking X5 and just change the DAC to a sabre for the sake of making it sound different (or "sound better") won't cut it.

Fiio as a company needs to cater to a large audience possible to maintain growth/profitability as a company. After all X7 is just an addition to a growing DAP lineup. X5, X3, X1 isn't going away because each of these DAPs already cover a wide range of the traditional audiophile market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back