FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,938 of 18,020
Have you forgotten AK240 or Roxanne CF? This is headfi, you should have gotten used to the ridiculous pricing for any audiophile items regardless if it's for the sound or aesthetics. That said, I'm done with spending $1000s on IEMs when I can get a much better sounding bookshelf speakers for that price.

Please share those bookshelfs. I gave been looking in that range and can not find anything that comes close to my IM03 that were 1/3rd that price. Looking for a DAP that can replace my DX90/cayin C5 stack in one piece. I liked the AK120II, AK100II not so much.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,940 of 18,020
When you turn this photo 90 degrees counterclockwise you can imagine that it is the bottom module. Maybe ...

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,941 of 18,020
Having owned the X5 for over 6 months+, I have so much enjoyed the superb sq, esp. With my newly acquired Noble K10, which really showed off what the X5 is really capable of.
Intending this remark esp. To you, James, My only disappointment is with the break-up, sibilence and resolution-crushing distortion I hear during loud orchestral passages, esp. With piccolos flutes, choral high notes and tuttis.
I haven't heard, myself, a player that is at least good in this regard. All fail to measure up in the high frequency loud musical passages.
Head-fiers,i'd really like to hear your comments about this high frequency distortion plaguing me!
I have read a number of times that the Cayin n6 gives a very clean, accurate and good sounding presentation of the highs.
So,I beg you, James, tame this problem in the X7 because I want to give a deserving company like yours my business again. You see, of all the reasons for wanting the X7, a clean, musical high end is way at the tippy-top of what I demand in my next player. After that, I prefer the proposed appearance you're suggesting, which I rather like and the amp module idea, rather than the appearance,though unique, of the Cayin N6.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,945 of 18,020
Having owned the X5 for over 6 months+, I have so much enjoyed the superb sq, esp. With my newly acquired Noble K10, which really showed off what the X5 is really capable of.
Intending this remark esp. To you, James, My only disappointment is with the break-up, sibilence and resolution-crushing distortion I hear during loud orchestral passages, esp. With piccolos flutes, choral high notes and tuttis.
I haven't heard, myself, a player that is at least good in this regard. All fail to measure up in the high frequency loud musical passages.
Head-fiers,i'd really like to hear your comments about this high frequency distortion plaguing me!
I have read a number of times that the Cayin n6 gives a very clean, accurate and good sounding presentation of the highs.
So,I beg you, James, tame this problem in the X7 because I want to give a deserving company like yours my business again. You see, of all the reasons for wanting the X7, a clean, musical high end is way at the tippy-top of what I demand in my next player. After that, I prefer the proposed appearance you're suggesting, which I rather like and the amp module idea, rather than the appearance,though unique, of the Cayin N6.

On albums I have that are produced and mastered well I don't hear anything close to what you describe with my X5. However, it could be a number of factors, as you know, from file to headphone. Having experience with the same DAC as in the X7 I can say that it can render musical highs with great clarity when implemented well, but if not implemented well it can sound very harsh. I don't think FiiO would tune the X7 to be grating to our ears and I'm sure they would look at how much distortion is present. Clarity without distortion is one of the benefits of using the chosen DAC. As for the X5, low distortion is one of the things I love about it. However, it is honest to the file being played, for better or worse.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,946 of 18,020
My only disappointment is with the break-up, sibilence and resolution-crushing distortion I hear during loud orchestral passages, esp. With piccolos flutes, choral high notes and tuttis.

As part of last year's X5 world tour, I had similar experiences during my own evaluation of the DAP. I too listen primarily to classical music.

Kind regards,
Brian

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,947 of 18,020
On albums I have that are produced and mastered well I don't hear anything close to what you describe with my X5. However, it could be a number of factors, as you know, from file to headphone. Having experience with the same DAC as in the X7 I can say that it can render musical highs with great clarity when implemented well, but if not implemented well it can sound very harsh. I don't think FiiO would tune the X7 to be grating to our ears and I'm sure they would look at how much distortion is present. Clarity without distortion is one of the benefits of using the chosen DAC. As for the X5, low distortion is one of the things I love about it. However, it is honest to the file being played, for better or worse.

I realize too that it could be the present limitations of recording technology. Btw I'm hearing some amazing resolution I never thought possible with digital recordings because of the magnificent resolving power of th K10 but even then I often hear this breakup I speak of.
I don't think the problem is with my ears, (69) which, in spite of my advanced years,is happily good in all frequency ranges, also reflected in my excellence in health well looked after.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,948 of 18,020
I realize too that it could be the present limitations of recording technology. Btw I'm hearing some amazing resolution I never thought possible with digital recordings because of the magnificent resolving power of th K10 but even then I often hear this breakup I speak of.
I don't think the problem is with my ears, (69) which, in spite of my advanced years,is happily good in all frequency ranges, also reflected in my excellence in health well looked after.

Lol, I think if it was your ears you'd be blissfully unaware.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,949 of 18,020

Hmm. Not even close,huh! That really bothers me, no offense. Am I really the only one who hears this with the X5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back