Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
May 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #79 of 446
I have a pair of superdarts that have a dynamic driver and a huge v shape sound signature. If you like bass, I'd go x5

If I'm not mistaking your Superdarts are hybrid IEM. Dynamic driver for the bass and BA driver for mid & high.

May 31, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #81 of 446
I saw many uses the e12 as a combo with the X5 what it gives ?

Hmm I don't think an extra amp such as the e12 would be necessary given the power of the x5 on its own. If I were you and was considering getting both, I'd order the x5 first and judge whether I need more power or not and then if the answer is yes, look into stacking with an amp

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #83 of 446
Hmm seems like my x5 never got dispatched due to being out of stock, how annoying. 
Thinking about the dx90 though now...

Could anyone put up a fight for the dx90 when it comes to the lower end and bass? compared to the x5?

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #84 of 446
Based on all the good things that everyone says about the DX90 SQ and given the form factor including user replaceable batteries, I want to like it better than my X5. But I don't! The DX90 is just sitting in the drawer while the X5 is getting all the love. Maybe it is just in a down cycle of its burn in (I keep telling myself) but it feels like work to listen to it rather than my X5. The X5 has a big boy sound with an intimate sound stage while the DX90 is in the nose bleed section sounding small unless I turn it up to unpleasant volume levels where the sound stage falls apart. The X5 pounds out intense textures effortlessly like the band is in my living room so that I can feel them in addition to hearing them while the DX90 just feels weak in comparison. 

Don't get me wrong, they are both a huge upgrade to everything else that I used previously including the iPhone, iPod, DX50, C3, Clip Everything, etc.  If I didn't have the X5 too, I would be thrilled by the DX90. The DX90 is awesome, but for my signature preference, my headphones (NT6pro, LCD2.2, HD595), etc. - the X5 is noticeably better in every way in terms of SQ.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #85 of 446
  Based on all the good things that everyone says about the DX90 SQ and given the form factor including user replaceable batteries, I want to like it better than my X5. But I don't! The DX90 is just sitting in the drawer while the X5 is getting all the love. Maybe it is just in a down cycle of its burn in (I keep telling myself) but it feels like work to listen to it rather than my X5. The X5 has a big boy sound with an intimate sound stage while the DX90 is in the nose bleed section sounding small unless I turn it up to unpleasant volume levels where the sound stage falls apart. The X5 pounds out intense textures effortlessly like the band is in my living room so that I can feel them in addition to hearing them while the DX90 just feels weak in comparison. 

Don't get me wrong, they are both a huge upgrade to everything else that I used previously including the iPhone, iPod, DX50, C3, Clip Everything, etc.  If I didn't have the X5 too, I would be thrilled by the DX90. The DX90 is awesome, but for my signature preference, my headphones (NT6pro, LCD2.2, HD595), etc. - the X5 is noticeably better in every way in terms of SQ.

Exactly opposite situation here, DX90 is getting all my love (at least for now).
I agree on huge upgrade, both sounding excellent but different, both have their problems:
- DX90 - no usb-dac function linux/mac/64bit (that is important for me) - can be fixed with software.
- X5 - no "hold" button, unable to lock all keys + keys are more sensitive event with silicone case = unable to use it in "tight" pocket - can be fixed with software.

Will those problems be fixed in future software releases? - do not know.

So for now, what's matter Your personal sound (and ui) preferences. For my, in quick observation: DX90 renders better (or more intimate) image, while X5 has incredible details.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #86 of 446
I previously owned Fiio X3 and now IBasso Dx90 and X5. I ordered them both at the same time so I can compare side by side and find out exactly which one reigns supreme in my opinion.

My test gears : Hifiman HE-400, Ultimate ears Superfi pro5 and ATH M50. Also Marantz SR7007 as sound reference.

I am not going to write a long and detail review here I just like to point out the difference on both DAP. and ultimately the one that satisfy me the most.

Let me say this, both devices are capable of producing a high end sound. They both have wide sound stage, very good balance,and clarity,good dynamic, air, depth and both are very musical....not compressed.
I compare their sound with Marantz SR7007 and they're really close! The only different is Marantz has slightly wider sound stage, more depth and 3D feel, lows and highs are a little smoother and somehow it is a bit more musical to me.

IBasso DX90

Sounds very clean...clinical from the bass through the highs. No coloration or warmth even on the bass. It has an open air feel with white background. The bass is tight and defined and just enough amount of it...most of the time I want a more...a little more. Because there's no presence of warmth it tends to make the music a little less full on and a just a little distant for me. I keep wanting more ooomph ! Thus I tend to raise the vol.
I also feel the amp could be better although it has three gain settings.

What I miss the most is when playing techno, R&B and other bass head music I can't really feel the music the way it should since the bass is just "being honest". There is an built in -10/+10 8 band EQ - 30 - 180 - 330 - 600 - 1k - 4k - 12k - 16k. This configuration is a little unusual for me since there's no 60hz or 80 hz to give an oomph. When switching to EQ custom mode the vol drop 6 db to compensate and avoid clipping. Raising 180hz or 30 hz a few db doesn't really help to give more kick, it tends to loose the feel of it.

Fiio X5

Sounds very clean  from bass through highs with a touch of warmth. More clean analog feel which yields more "earthy" sound that I'm looking for. Due to slight warm character X5 plays any music any genre with more intimate feel and blacker background. I also feel more ambient in the background which gives better depth perception and instrument separation. X5 also decodes Mp3 files beautifully. When more bass needed for techno or R&B, finally.. EQ that works! It come with built in 10 band EQ 31 - 62 - 125 - 250 - 500 - 1k - 2k - 4k - 8k - 16k. Raising the lower three band will give you more ooomph ! Great for Bass Head !

Conclusions

If you appreciate pure sound, super clean, defined and honest bass you will probably lean towards DX90. I mean this unit is truly amazing, open air sound, lots of ooohs and aaahs, light weight fits in your pocket better and with locked button. On Hifiman HE-400 it sounds very high end, great details, lots of air and produces well defined bass, but no warmth. ATH M50 makes DX90 sounds rounder, more body and still with enough detail but more in your face and less spacious.
For those who are used to more clean analog feel and want a little mo' bass X5 will deliver just that. This unit has a bit more personality to me and I can much better relate to the music through this player. Some people are not crazy about the  button layout and the scroll wheel but it doesn't bother me at all. HE-400 sounds Amazing with X5. It is very clean, open, 3D like and really nice deeper bass while M50 will give me more analog feel for those Old skool numbers.

Hope that helps.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #88 of 446
I differ with Skyfall.  My initial impressions is that I'm hearing X5 as more clean and neutral.  ibasso sounds like it has enhanced bass, and bass sounds too unnatural.  This is after I turned off eq.  Default eq had more enhanced bass, go figure.  I will listen more to bet a better idea.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #89 of 446
Can the wheel be adjust to be less sensible on the X5 ?

No, but then again you don't even have to use it if you don't want to. The forward/back buttons work in the menus as well.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #90 of 446
The wheel has a a click to it but it still feels a little loose. I don't use the wheel so much instead I use the two left and right button on the bottom to navigate. You can move up or move down anything on the screen, skip song forward and backward, fast forward/ fast backward a song in real time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back