Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
May 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #46 of 446
Hi. Thank you for the info in comparing the Frio X5 and the ibasso DX90. Under the same circumstances (same song, phones) which one would have the louder volume level (on the highest volume setting)?

May 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #48 of 446
  You asked so here it is. I just posted this in the DX90 impressions forum.

So I just got my DX90 and did a quick comparison to my X5. All I can say is wow for both. I think that I would be happy with either, but they are different enough that I will be happy with both. Here are some quick impressions:

1. Soundstage: I feel like the DX90 is bigger and the X5 is a little more intimate. The DX90 feels airy like it is in a concert hall while the X5 has a very black background, more like a studio recording with everyone in a different sound booth. Neither is superior, just different signatures.
  2. Volume: I feel like I need to turn the DX90 up to get to the intimate “in the living room” soundstage which it does effortlessly and without getting shouty at higher volumes. For my NT6pro CIEMs I have the DX90 comfortably at high gain at 170, which would have killed me on my DX50. On the other hand, I do not have to turn up the X5 nearly as much to get to my preferred intimate soundstage.  However, the X5 can get brighter and shouty when turned up to higher volumes depending on the song. Both work well and sound great, so neither is superior, just different.
  3. Texture: After turning up the volume to get to the appropriate intimate soundstage for my listening preference, I am all about texture. They both excel in layering texture that I couldn’t even hear before on a portable source. I thought this was restricted to my balanced Mjolnir/LCD2 setup, but no longer. Both not only express the texture that is front and center, but separate individual textures from each sound source are well represented as well. Here there is a difference. While I hear the textures equally with both, the X5 allows me to really feel them with its more intimate presentation. The DX90 sounds great, but the sounds feel further away, not hitting me in the chest. I’m not saying that the X5 takes a win here for everyone as the DX90 is more euphoric which is very compelling as well.
  4. Signature: While both are very neutral signatures, the X5 excels at intimacy, black background, and texture that you can feel as well as hear. Where the DX90 excels is in opening up the soundstage and creating a very euphoric listening environment.
  5. Detail: Both are equally great at generating detail but do it differently. X5 detail is more in your face and supported by a very black background while the DX90 seems to layer it very naturally. With the DX50, sounds got in the way of each other and covered up if behind each other in the same blob. This is not the case with the DX90 where you can distinctly hear two different guitarists in the same area.
  6. Power: While I would not use an external amp with either, the X5 feels more powerful and like it has more reserves to support dynamics. The DX90 eliminates the clipping problem that the DX50 had with dynamic songs, but doesn’t sound as full and ampy as the X5. The X5 bass and other big sounds come full on, full size, and natural where the DX90 is a little less full and maybe a little tinny (without clipping) at times. That is not to say that the DX90 doesn’t have slam – it does – but the X5 outclasses it here for those that insist on stacking for power.

Just a few initial thoughts, but remember there has been zero DAP nor Brain burn in so my opinion may change latter. Now it is time for me to disappear like everyone else that got theirs and just enjoy. 
L3000.gif

So, any new thoughts after some brain burn-in?

May 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #49 of 446

You asked so here it is. I just posted this in the DX90 impressions forum.

So I just got my DX90 and did a quick comparison to my X5. All I can say is wow for both. I think that I would be happy with either, but they are different enough that I will be happy with both. Here are some quick impressions:

1. Soundstage: I feel like the DX90 is bigger and the X5 is a little more intimate. The DX90 feels airy like it is in a concert hall while the X5 has a very black background, more like a studio recording with everyone in a different sound booth. Neither is superior, just different signatures.
  2. Volume: I feel like I need to turn the DX90 up to get to the intimate “in the living room” soundstage which it does effortlessly and without getting shouty at higher volumes. For my NT6pro CIEMs I have the DX90 comfortably at high gain at 170, which would have killed me on my DX50. On the other hand, I do not have to turn up the X5 nearly as much to get to my preferred intimate soundstage.  However, the X5 can get brighter and shouty when turned up to higher volumes depending on the song. Both work well and sound great, so neither is superior, just different.
  3. Texture: After turning up the volume to get to the appropriate intimate soundstage for my listening preference, I am all about texture. They both excel in layering texture that I couldn’t even hear before on a portable source. I thought this was restricted to my balanced Mjolnir/LCD2 setup, but no longer. Both not only express the texture that is front and center, but separate individual textures from each sound source are well represented as well. Here there is a difference. While I hear the textures equally with both, the X5 allows me to really feel them with its more intimate presentation. The DX90 sounds great, but the sounds feel further away, not hitting me in the chest. I’m not saying that the X5 takes a win here for everyone as the DX90 is more euphoric which is very compelling as well.
  4. Signature: While both are very neutral signatures, the X5 excels at intimacy, black background, and texture that you can feel as well as hear. Where the DX90 excels is in opening up the soundstage and creating a very euphoric listening environment.
  5. Detail: Both are equally great at generating detail but do it differently. X5 detail is more in your face and supported by a very black background while the DX90 seems to layer it very naturally. With the DX50, sounds got in the way of each other and covered up if behind each other in the same blob. This is not the case with the DX90 where you can distinctly hear two different guitarists in the same area.
  6. Power: While I would not use an external amp with either, the X5 feels more powerful and like it has more reserves to support dynamics. The DX90 eliminates the clipping problem that the DX50 had with dynamic songs, but doesn’t sound as full and ampy as the X5. The X5 bass and other big sounds come full on, full size, and natural where the DX90 is a little less full and maybe a little tinny (without clipping) at times. That is not to say that the DX90 doesn’t have slam – it does – but the X5 outclasses it here for those that insist on stacking for power.

Just a few initial thoughts, but remember there has been zero DAP nor Brain burn in so my opinion may change latter. Now it is time for me to disappear like everyone else that got theirs and just enjoy. 
L3000.gif

So, any new thoughts after some brain burn-in?

After using both for a while, allowing for brain and equipment burn in, and after getting used to their signatures, I find that I am really just splitting hairs and can use either interchangeably. The list above still stands, but it is much closer now, hence, splitting hairs. I still find myself grabbing the X5 when using the NT6pros as I feel that it pairs just a little better, but otherwise I find them both outstanding. The DX90 with its smaller size and user swappable batteries has better ergonomics though.

However, now realizing just what a large upgrade it was from my C3/BH2 or my DX50, I have greed setting in making me wonder what is possible with the other new players. In particular, I am wondering if the new $1K AK100 II using the AK240 guts would be a significant upgrade to the the X5/DX90 worth selling both to trade up.

On the flip side, as I am having so much fun with the X5/DX90, I am wondering if I would be better served grabbing another CIEM complimentary to my NT6pro (ie warmer/fun vs. extended/analytical/crystal clarity). Noble Audio is bringing their demo lineup to our Seattle Head-Fi meet in July for me to hear their K10 which is at the top of my list with the SE5. Noble Audio is also bringing the AK240 and Hugo to hear, and hopefully the new AK100/120 II if they get them in time. July is going to be an interesting month for me and my Head-Fi hobby.

May 24, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #50 of 446
Just in case anyone's budget is gonna be the deciding factor:

DX90 with cables: $420 + shipping
http://www.amazon.com/iBasso-DX90-Resolution-Connection-Distributor/dp/B00JRGLX3G/ref=sr_1_1?

X5 with cables, leather case, and 64gb card: $490 + shipping: 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3XF1HG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_s9_d1_i4?

May 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #51 of 446
  Just in case anyone's budget is gonna be the deciding factor:

DX90 with cables: $420 + shipping
http://www.amazon.com/iBasso-DX90-Resolution-Connection-Distributor/dp/B00JRGLX3G/ref=sr_1_1?

X5 with cables, leather case, and 64gb card: $490 + shipping: 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3XF1HG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_s9_d1_i4?

Just saying, you linked the X5 + E12, that's why the price is so grossly high.

Here's the X5 with 64GB SD Card, leather case and cables.
http://www.amazon.com/X5-64GB-Kit-Leather-Case/dp/B00K3X0B94/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401034866&sr=8-3&keywords=fiio+x5 = $392.00 /free shipping

May 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #52 of 446
  Just saying, you linked the X5 + E12, that's why the price is so grossly high.

Here's the X5 with 64GB SD Card, leather case and cables.
http://www.amazon.com/X5-64GB-Kit-Leather-Case/dp/B00K3X0B94/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401034866&sr=8-3&keywords=fiio+x5 = $392.00 /free shipping

Further proving my point! With a standalone amp, the X5 is still only $70 more. Leave the amp out and its as you've pointed out, cheaper!

May 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #53 of 446
  After using both for a while, allowing for brain and equipment burn in, and after getting used to their signatures, I find that I am really just splitting hairs and can use either interchangeably...

I have quick listening on DX90 vs. X5 the other days. I think my impression is similar in that both DAP are very close in overall performance. Each has its own little things that is better than the other but no one is the obvious winner.

May 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #54 of 446
I have quick listening on DX90 vs. X5 the other days. I think my impression is similar in that both DAP are very close in overall performance. Each has its own little things that is better than the other but no one is the obvious winner.

After a long burn-in the X5 sounds better to me, so that's the one I'm going to keep! :)

May 29, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #57 of 446
  Is the dx90 warm ? Is the sound signature "fun"?
I currently have x5 but I don't think that it matches my taste :/

If the DX90 was warm, I would sell it to you!  I find it airy, open and neutral and pretty non-coloured. Not warm, cosy or boring.

May 30, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #59 of 446
Efib, I would think a better option would be keep your x5, which I would class just a smidgen on warm side, and tailer your preferred sound with an iem or phone. Just a case of being able to hear ones that do it for you. Before buying W40s I demoed Fischer iems and they had a smoother warm sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back