FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,006 of 1,895
  I think gapless is important to anyone (i.e. myself) that listens to a lot of classical music.  Many pieces appear as multiple tracks the flow from one to the other.  Not having gapless really spoils the experience.  It's certainly not a deal breaker for me but it seems to me that at this point in time gapless capability shouldn't even be part of the discussion - it should just work.

I, however, prefer to have a gap between movements of a symphony, for example.  I listen to my recorded music the same way I listen to a live concert; there are gaps between movements.  I am just curious.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #1,007 of 1,895

I, however, prefer to have a gap between movements of a symphony, for example.  I listen to my recorded music the same way I listen to a live concert; there are gaps between movements.  I am just curious.

Yes, but you are irrational 
wink.gif

(kidding - I actually agree with you)

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,010 of 1,895

Not to pursue this anymore, but I can't resist :wink: 

Yes - when there's an actual gap between movements, then yes, I want a gap in the music.  However, there's cases where a single movement is broken into multiple tracks - don't want a gap in that case.  Or take Sibelius Symphony 7 - it's in one long, single movement.  However, it has discernible sections that flow seamlessly from one to the next.  On CD it's often broken into multiple tracks that play without gaps between them - makes it easy to access any one of the sections.  But having gaps in that case would disrupt the flow.  Or take Beethoven's Symphony 5.  The third movement moves into the fourth (last) movement without pause.  On CD and in many downloads those two movements are on separate tracks but you don't want a pause between them.  Again, ruins the flow.

Basically, what it comes down to is that I'd like the gaps to be there when they're supposed to be and not for there to be gaps when there shouldn't be gaps.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,011 of 1,895
  Basically, what it comes down to is that I'd like the gaps to be there when they're supposed to be and not for there to be gaps when there shouldn't be gaps.

This is the definition of 'gapless'. It recreates the exact experience of the CD from which it was ripped in terms of gap lengths between tracks.

So 'gapless' really means no additional gaps added.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,012 of 1,895
  Hi I have an IPOD Classic 120 gb running in team with my three amps: Meier Stepdance /Fiio E12/Fiio E12 DIY. I am very pleased with each of those combos, They all sound soo good. And the IPOD still has such a good interface and usability. I can imagine that the FIIO X3/5 or the new Sony Walkmans we all know are audible better than the unamped IPOD classic, but can someone qualify how much better a X5 sounds compared to an amped IPOD classic that does so well as I feel right now. You see I am a little tired of the next new toy when there is no real improvement. my desk s already crowded with amps, cans, iems and DAPs. Sometimes it takes just too long to stack away all this properly.

ph34r.gif

I once used iPod Classic with ATH-W1000 with ibasso portable amp. From my memory, it has good details but sound thin. For me it's good for play like background music during my working hours.

Compare to X3 + W1000, It has more body and attack. So I feel more fun when listen to classical jazz, classic.  I also love the combination of X3 and my two woodies (W1000, ESW11LTD), I really like the lush sound of female vocal.

Can't comment on X5, but hope that they will have the same sound signature as X3 (warm side)

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,013 of 1,895
First out-of-the-box impressions:
  1. This thing is pretty dang heavy; much heavier than my usual iPod 5th generation + JDS Labs C5/C5D
  2. I can't get the microSD card door to open, so I'll stick to my original plan and use this as an external soundcard first
  3. Accessing the four buttons on the X5 is pretty awkward for people with small hands

Since I don't think I've seen anyone say this, the wheel on the X5 has steps, so it's not a completely smooth rotation. This was addressed before I think though: the wheel squeaks, like a lot.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,014 of 1,895
  1. This thing is pretty dang heavy; much heavier than my usual iPod 5th generation + JDS Labs C5/C5D
  2. I can't get the microSD card door to open, so I'll stick to my original plan and use this as an external soundcard first
  3. Accessing the four buttons on the X5 is pretty awkward for people with small hands

Since I don't think I've seen anyone say this, the wheel on the X5 has steps, so it's not a completely smooth rotation. This was addressed before I think though: the wheel squeaks, like a lot.

Waiting for more details from you mice! Hope you also try to use that dac/amp with the X5 + m100!

:grinning:

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,015 of 1,895

It has been reported before so you are not the first one. It's not a race for who says what before anyone else, it's a complete review. Use the player to it's full capacity then report your findings and if you find a bug or any other issues with the player, use the bug report link Joe has provided. In the meantime let your ears do the work :wink:

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,016 of 1,895
Well before the M-100, I wanted to give this a quick try before I have to ship it to the next person in the tour:

The X5 definitely has a warm sound next to the JDS Labs C5D or ODAC/O2 combo: the Alpha Dog sounds a bit bassier and less coherent with the X5, but the bass is more fun to listen to. The soundstage as a whole is pretty intimate next to the other two as well, but it has good instrument separation.

Not bad so far: warm and smooth highs, which is what I was expecting from a FiiO product. I didn't really read any of the reviews posted so far to avoid spoiling the experience. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back