Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #4,667 of 15,899
Have a look at the onkyo smartphone which is upcoming.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #4,668 of 15,899
So, received the X5 III today, and I wanted to give my initial impressions on the sound quality and function. 
ssss
The sound quality straight from the player with nothing updated, no dedicated external amp, and from my Audiofly AF-1120's was really pleasant. I am coming from the DX90 with the most recent of Lurkers f.w. and think it is a solid player if getting a bit outdated, and when first opening the X5III I was really impressed with both the packaging (clean cut) and the player itself, it is: Smooth, solidly build, aesthetically pleasing at least to my eyes, and as far navigation doesn't see overly complicated for basic navigation (this is without any prior documentation or guides read. The UI for the most part seems smooth for being a new device as far what I have done on it so far which isn't much tbh.

When I plugged my sd and IEMs into the dap I was surprised that I didnt hear any noise, hiss, or distortion with my 10ohm universals...which was one of my bigger fears seeing as that is the main headphone I would be using with this player. I feel the descriptions of the sound of this dap was very spot on I hear detailed yet smooth, not overly thick or full but a good balanced of note weight on the tracks I listened to you which were only a few but gave me a decent  idea of the signature and details this player had to offer with my current Iems. Will post any important updates or changes that may occur in the next upcoming days. Also will be posting a full review after spending more time with this device. Till then

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4,669 of 15,899
So, received the X5 III today, and I wanted to give my initial impressions on the sound quality and function. 
ssss
The sound quality straight from the player with nothing updated, no dedicated external amp, and from my Audiofly AF-1120's was really pleasant. I am coming from the DX90 with the most recent of Lurkers f.w. and think it is a solid player if getting a bit outdated, and when first opening the X5III I was really impressed with both the packaging (clean cut) and the player itself, it is: Smooth, solidly build, aesthetically pleasing at least to my eyes, and as far navigation doesn't see overly complicated for basic navigation (this is without any prior documentation or guides read. The UI for the most part seems smooth for being a new device as far what I have done on it so far which isn't much tbh.

When I plugged my sd and IEMs into the dap I was surprised that I didnt hear any noise, hiss, or distortion with my 10ohm universals...which was one of my bigger fears seeing as that is the main headphone I would be using with this player. I feel the descriptions of the sound of this dap was very spot on I hear detailed yet smooth, not overly thick or full but a good balanced of note weight on the tracks I listened to you which were only a few but gave me a decent  idea of the signature and details this player had to offer with my current Iems. Will post any important updates or changes that may occur in the next upcoming days. Also will be posting a full review after spending more time with this device. Till then

Glad your initial impressions are favorable!:sunglasses:

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,670 of 15,899

Interesting. I forgot about them making a stab into the phone market. I owned the DP-X1 and there was no issues with that Android DAP for me so I have to assume they feel they can branch out. I personally think a phone can sound very good even if it can't drive tough loads. Still, there will always be those who just prefer a nice stand alone DAP even if it means carrying another device. I'm not popular enough that I can't use a phone and not get lots of interruptions. I guess that is a concern for those still socially hitting it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,671 of 15,899
  @ Fiio, still not found a solution to DAC-issue.

I do not get my X5 work as a USB DAC on my Laptop.. USB DAC is of course set to on. Latest USB drivers are installed from Fiio website. This is what happens:

• When I connect the device it makes two different beeps that normally occur when a device is connected.
  • USB DAC-screen on the Fiio shows.
  • Then there are the beeps again.
  • The Android Lock screen shows up.
  • Then again the DAC.screen. Then the beeps agein...it's kept in a loop.

​Also the device manager on the laptop constantly flackers. The USB Device in the device manager shows a yellow exclamation mark.
The storage mode worked flawlessly at first. Now it shows the same behaviour on one USB slot. The device sasy: Device is bust. Try again later. Another slot works.

Strangely enough, there is another buggy behaviour with USB connection. Hard keys do not work after connecting the device via USB. 
They work again after rebooting the device.

BTW, X3 II works without a problem as a DAC. FW of the X5 III is 1.1.0
My Laptop is a  Asus Zenbook UX305FA. 

Tried different cables and USB slots. 

@FIIO, I am on my SECOND X5iii.  The first one would not charge through USB, nor connect to the computer with the same issues posted above.  I returned it the next day.  I received my second one today, and it charged fine via USB, but still not connecting to my laptop.  It tries to connect, but quickly disconnects.  I've tried numerous chargers, and I do have the device setup for USB storage.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,673 of 15,899

Interesting. I forgot about them making a stab into the phone market. I owned the DP-X1 and there was no issues with that Android DAP for me so I have to assume they feel they can branch out. I personally think a phone can sound very good even if it can't drive tough loads. Still, there will always be those who just prefer a nice stand alone DAP even if it means carrying another device. I'm not popular enough that I can't use a phone and not get lots of interruptions. I guess that is a concern for those still socially hitting it.

you are absolutely right. For social butterflies its something that wont simply work due to the interruptions . However for recluses like me i dont see why this wont work. Having said that i would still prefer a standalone DAP running at least Android 6 where one could tinker around with the doze settings. The battery life of these android DAPs is a thing of worry to me. I would expect 20 hours from todays tech with wifi and BT off. sigh if wishes were horses...

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,675 of 15,899
@FiiO as much as appreciate you working hard and pushing out new FW,  i have to say FW 1.1.2 is a let down for me. The fiio music player is just not playing nice. The touch input seems a bit wonky on the player. Pauses and freezes happen more often than not. I sincerely advise you to have a couple of beta testers to use the FW in real world use to report any major issues. I think you could still take a bit more time between the updates but the updates need to be bug free as far as possible. Imagine going from a FW which works fine to one which is glitchy and marrs the user experience. The X5 III is a fabulous device for my needs and the FW problems are kind of spoiling the experience for me even though i don't have a complaint about the SQ.

When im upgrading the FW it has to be a step forward.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4,676 of 15,899

Do you have these drivers. FiiO USB DAC Driver v3.34.0-161216update

Do you have these drivers. FiiO USB DAC Driver v3.34.0-161216update

Yes, installed on my laptop from the FIIO website via Dropbox.  My device won't connect to my PC, it connects for a second then drops.  My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 910.

i would suggest you uninstall all related USB drivers and reboot.. plug the X5 III and see what happens. Worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back