FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #6,242 of 7,088
I have Dignis cases on both my X5 and X5II. They are great cases. The only downside is that I have to remove the cases to change out the micro SD cards. They are quite tight, so it is a bit of a PIA. I don't do this very much as I have a pair of 200 gig cards in each X5. I have tried a few cases, including the FIIO leather case for the X5II. I always end up back with the Dignis cases.

They are a bit pricey, but they are great cases.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6,243 of 7,088
Question for you all, had my X5ii a little over a year now, and just recently the line out has been giving me problems, music will be playing, then makes a sound like the connections are dirty or loose, and pauses the player. Currently trying a tiny amount of De-oxit brushed on the plug of an extension cable and working it a bit. Not sure if it will help, seems more like somethings loose or about to break.
Anyone else have a problem like this, and what did you do to remedy it, if you were able to??

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #6,244 of 7,088
  Question for you all, had my X5ii a little over a year now, and just recently the line out has been giving me problems, music will be playing, then makes a sound like the connections are dirty or loose, and pauses the player. Currently trying a tiny amount of De-oxit brushed on the plug of an extension cable and working it a bit. Not sure if it will help, seems more like somethings loose or about to break.
Anyone else have a problem like this, and what did you do to remedy it, if you were able to??

Closest I had to the problem was that my X5ii of 9 months began having problems with some flac files dropping out before switching to the next track and, worst of all, stopped playing all files higher than 24/96 such as 24/192 -- only silence. After eliminating my DAC and the FiiO as causes of the issue, I switched to a new (and better) coax cable from the X5ii to my DAC that solved the problem. Strange that a coax should be selective, but that was the case.  Give it a try.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #6,246 of 7,088
Is it just me or does the treble response seem a bit sharp on th X5ii? I am using the NAD HP50 and it just seems almost a bit exaggerated.

You don't have any EQ engaged? 

Treble is okay on X5ii, not sharp but ok. 

NAD HP50 is not bright by itself, heard the combo and HP50 was quite smooth. The tone was harsh (HP50 was harsh with all DAPs I tested) but treble was not peaky or bright. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,247 of 7,088

NAD HP50 is not bright by itself, heard the combo and HP50 was quite smooth. The tone was harsh (HP50 was harsh with all DAPs I tested) but treble was not peaky or bright. 

No EQ, completely flat. I have been used to the Wolfson sound but I really like all other areas of the x5ii from a sound perspective. Great tight and fast bass, nice mids, just wondering if I moved down to the X3ii which I have read has less detailed treble if I may like it more.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6,249 of 7,088

No EQ, completely flat. I have been used to the Wolfson sound but I really like all other areas of the x5ii from a sound perspective. Great tight and fast bass, nice mids, just wondering if I moved down to the X3ii which I have read has less detailed treble if I may like it more.

I like the X3 II just as much. But how about equalizing the treble (4 or 8 or 16 kHz) down till it fits your sonic preferences? Say by 1 or 1.4 dB? That would be the easiest way. You can't expect from a headphone to sound neutral, so to some ears different areas will sound critical than to others. That's what equalizers are for after all.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #6,251 of 7,088
Is it just me or does the treble response seem a bit sharp on th X5ii? I am using the NAD HP50 and it just seems almost a bit exaggerated.

It is likely a preference that you have. But what YOU hear is what it is all about.

I have the HP 50, I really like them. I have been using them everyday at work for several months with the Grace M9xx. So I am quite familiar with them. I have never found them harsh through any system. If anything the are smooth and balanced to a fault. Some call them too "polite". I don't, but some of the impact that some headphones have may not be there.
Maybe this is the thinness that you describe. I have used my X5II with at least 30 different headphones and IEMs I have not yet found it to be thin on anything by itself. It is pretty neutral in my estimation. They have been my headphone of choice with the X5II because they are easy to drive and sound good with it.

I don't think the X3II would do anything that much different in regard to what you describe, from the little bit of listening I have done with it. Generally I used IEMs though.

Give the system some time. You may change your mind a bit. And/or try a bit of EQ. I really have not listened to anything in the price range of the X5II that I have found any better...or as good.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #6,252 of 7,088

Dear frogmeat69,

You may try to change another cables to see whether it helps? And you can try wiping the headphones’ plug with a piece of tissue or contact cleaner like alcohol. 

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #6,253 of 7,088
I've had my x5 for about a week now, and last night it turned off and now refuses to turn on. I got it to turn on once, but it shut off as if the battery had died even though I had it on a charger. The light on the side still comes on, as if to show it charging, and I even left it on the charger overnight and in the morning it appeared to be fully charged but still won't turn on. Is there some sort of reset button like on the fiio x1 that I am missing? I hate to have to file for a warranty claim or return it after only one week.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #6,254 of 7,088
I've had my x5 for about a week now, and last night it turned off and now refuses to turn on. I got it to turn on once, but it shut off as if the battery had died even though I had it on a charger. The light on the side still comes on, as if to show it charging, and I even left it on the charger overnight and in the morning it appeared to be fully charged but still won't turn on. Is there some sort of reset button like on the fiio x1 that I am missing? I hate to have to file for a warranty claim or return it after only one week.

Did you press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to reset it?

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #6,255 of 7,088
Did you press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to reset it?

Just tried that and still nothing. Not sure why it stopped working. The only thing I can think of that I did is I switched it to DAC mode and used it with my laptop for a while, but I don't see how that could have messed it up.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I actually had no clue there was a way to reset it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back