FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 19, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #6,226 of 7,088

Actually, the X5iii does not totally out-spec the X7. Specifically, for the points you mention:

1.) The same version (or at least a very similar version) of Android 5.1 is also coming out for the X7, with the same promised increased battery life. In fact, I'm pretty sure the version of Android on the X5iii will look a lot like the version of Android 5.1 that is currently used in the X7 beta firmware.

2.) Yeah, the X5iii out-specs the X7 here.

3.) The X7 is also getting aptX support - it's already been confirmed by several people using the beta firmware in the X7 thread.

Still, it doesn't change that the X5iii does look mighty fine.

Glad to hear they will be updating the X7 for you guys.  I simply wasn't aware these improvements were coming.  I guess ultimately the difference will be price and whether the X7 is worth roughly $200.00 more than the X5-III after the improvements.  It will be interesting once people have a chance to compare the two models

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #6,227 of 7,088
  Keep disparaging me .. I don't mind. To my grammar, that sentence should have read:  The M3 supports lossless formats such as APE and FLAC in 16 bit formats, and WAV at up to 96Hz/24bit. ..

THE AMAZON PAGE I ordered from DID NOT HAVE that chart farther down the page... So, the first sentence should have been explicit also. If it had we wouldn't be wasting breath on this... 

Anyway the M3 resoluton support is a minor point .. there has been 1 firmware update for the M3 in 6 months .. and it still has issues. Now .. not as many as the X1ii .. Supporting existing products is slipping away from FIIO .. and I am not the only one on these forums pointing this out .. 

dblml320 

M3 is the cheapest DAP FiiO made, and it's not supposed to do much, idk what was expected of it, when I tested it, it was not worth the effort, I dislike small devices (?) 

In the short time I tested X1ii, it worked great, but then again, I browse by folders, organize my collection manually and haven't tested it in depth to know all it's problems. 

Don't want to come off as offensive, but the support for those two devices should not be over (M3 and X1ii), there is still hope for all bugs to be fixed..

If you buy high end audio hardware, it often goes without saying that you ought to do your own research.. that is, if you really care about it.

Otherwise, use a phone..

Some phones are really bad for audio while some are really good, buying a phone for audio is actually harder since the reviews are never as clear as those for a DAP and with phones, the OS can play a major role in experience. 

Been using my phone for a while and while it's a great phone for using it for everything else, for music it has some problems that are worse than I expected and no one ever mentions those problems in reviews. 

Tho using a phone is most of times way more hassle free, phone + chord Mojo is an interesting option that I wanted to try for a while now. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #6,230 of 7,088
You see?
You even read phone reviews then?
Why on earth would you, in order to buy a DAP, rely on the descriptions on Amazon?

I read phone reviews a lot, not so much about their SQ since no reviewer goes in depth enough most of times. And if they would go, it would be bad for the phone 
biggrin.gif

I have read 250+ reviews before buying a freaking mouse 
frown.gif

Correcting someone's grammar should be a 24 hour ban on all forums in my view.

The flac changing from 2496 to whatever it was, please could you explain this as I don't understand that issue?

Only wav files work at 24/96, not FLACs on M3. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #6,231 of 7,088
Sorry, the mobile version is really not that much fun to write with..

You said that the Amazon description on the FiiO misslead you into believing that it could play something it actually cannot.
Thats why I asked if you didnt read reviews for DAPs.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #6,233 of 7,088
Hi All

A quick question that I'm sure someone will have the answer to.

How does the X5ii and Chord Mojo combination with decent IEM's like the Sennheiser IE800's compare to higher end DAPS without additional amping with the same IEM's?

Regards

Darren

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #6,234 of 7,088
Hi All

How does the X5ii and Chord Mojo combination with decent IEM's like the Sennheiser IE800's compare to higher end DAPS without additional amping with the same IEM's?

Regards

Darren

I have the X3ii and mojo with my Alclair CIEMs and it is an amazing combination. I think the Mojo is a great device with a very neutral presentation. The source for the mojo does not matter as its just a source, using USB, Coax or optical makes a minor sound difference. Not to derail but Chord is suppose to make some sort of reader for the Mojo to be announced January 8th.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #6,235 of 7,088
Hi All

Regards

Darren

I have the X3ii and mojo with my Alclair CIEMs and it is an amazing combination. I think the Mojo is a great device with a very neutral presentation. The source for the mojo does not matter as its just a source, using USB, Coax or optical makes a minor sound difference. Not to derail but Chord is suppose to make some sort of reader for the Mojo to be announced January 8th.

To what effect? This will transform the Mojo into a DAP?

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #6,238 of 7,088
  Hi All

Regards

Darren

Well, except for the fact that you're carrying a stack, the SQ is probably better thank most top of the line DAPs, comparable to an X7. 

I'm one to be open minded to those things, but AK recommended (if memory serves well) to use their AK240 with a Chord Hugo in their own promo materials 
wink.gif

X5ii is brilliant as a transport, and in general I have not heard a difference between transports... 

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,239 of 7,088
You know, I've had this thing for a while now, and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with it. At first it took me a while to find all the hidden functions. I thought that I would mostly be browsing my music by artist or album, but then it turned out that the file directory that lets you browse your sd cards directly is much more efficient because you can organize your files very precisely. 

I also really like how it holds so many different file types, my samsung galaxy phone doesn't hold anything else but m4v and mp3 music files, and this thing holds it all. It holds as much memory as you can put in it, I have two 200 gig micro sd cards in there, that's insane. I was able to put a really good chunk of my overall library in it, and if I was richer I would buy 250 gb sd cards lol. 

It's really a nice device, I'm super happy with it. I've been listening to music out of it with my denon ah mm400 headphones and it sounds great. I take back all the criticisms I made of it when I first got it. The only thing it lacks is ability to connect to last.fm, so I do lose some my listening history that I have been cataloging since 2012, but I can still go in an manually add those plays with the universal scrobbler. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back