FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 15, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #346 of 7,088
Rubber tends to harder and dry out after some time though

Not always.

I have some 1970's "Hi-Fi" Philips speakers, which have some sort of rubber ring around the loudspeaker. They're in pristine condition. Not brittle at all!

May 15, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #348 of 7,088
Not always.

I have some 1970's "Hi-Fi" Philips speakers, which have some sort of rubber ring around the loudspeaker. They're in pristine condition. Not brittle at all!

Would still prefer metal as it gives the reassuring click when u plug in your headphones, feels more secure.

The "click" actually occurs on the inside. The "diamond" tip is what clicks.

May 15, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #349 of 7,088
IPS screen is a huge level-up!

X5 gen1 screen is IPS as well, so I'd say it's the same screen by the looks of it.

.......... [snip]

Also, about the hiss, i get it, and i get it pretty bad. it is a high frequency that is there when i pause the music, or when i play the music, it does not go up or down with the volume, but if the music is at low volumes, the music does not mask the hiss so well.

It makes some electronic instruments sound better, but in a general sense you do not want this in your music. 

@x RELIC x
 @nmatheis
  If you do not get hiss with x5 at all, do you get with fiio e12, with iems? it is the same hiss, i also testes for a long period e12, before deciding to get e12a.

I really want to know how it sounds now! the x5II.

I get hiss that's unbearable with the e12 and my IEMs. I mean, really terrible hiss. The X5....... None.

Are you listening at high gain?

Perhaps if there is a hiss issue we can take it to the X5 gen1 thread. Let's keep this thread on the gen2 topic.

May 15, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #350 of 7,088
X5 gen1 screen is IPS as well, so I'd say it's the same screen by the looks of it.
I get hiss that's unbearable with the e12 and my IEMs. I mean, really terrible hiss. The X5....... None.

Perhaps if there is a hiss issue we can take it to the X5 gen1 thread. Let's keep this thread on the gen2 topic.

He meant E12A - the IEM amp, not the regular E12 that is kinda hissy.
the E12A is as good as it gets for IEMs, it's really good, better than X5 internal amp, that was really good as well but not quite on the level of E12A

May 15, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #351 of 7,088
He meant E12A - the IEM amp, not the regular E12 that is kinda hissy.
the E12A is as good as it gets for IEMs, it's really good, better than X5 internal amp, that was really good as well but not quite on the level of E12A

No, he said the e12 and X5 hiss the same which is why he got the e12A. And I'm well aware of the e12A capabilities, but there is much better out there still :)

May 15, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #352 of 7,088

is the X5 1st gen IPS screen as good as average cellphone IPS screen?

May 15, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #353 of 7,088
May 15, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #354 of 7,088
No, he said the e12 and X5 hiss the same which is why he got the e12A. And I'm well aware of the e12A capabilities, but there is much better out there still
smily_headphones1.gif

My apologies then.

May 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #357 of 7,088
Given the imminent release of the latest generation of the outstanding X5 DAP from FiiO, some time in June, it seems like it's time for its own thread.

Preliminary info:

1. All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;
2. More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;
3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution;
4. All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4x44.1, 192kHz=4x48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;
5. Supporting hardware DSD decoding;
6. Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)
7. Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.
8. All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.
9. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.

Hardware info provided by James at FiiO:

Expected release date and price

Reserved for official specifications.

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for this info!  Looks very solid and nice build!

May 15, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #358 of 7,088
  I think that this is how it was meant to be. I think that you are supposed to use the cables that come with your amps, not the ones that come with it, as they are like they were with the original x5, for using it as a transport. At least, this is how i understand it from the pictures.

How does the DAC sound, compared to x5?

I found out that a normal 3.5 mm headphone plug works fine, you don't need a cable with a 4-pole plug for the line out. (Strangely it didn't work at a previous attempt.) So I compared X5 and X3 II with one of my electrostats through the SRM 727II. I liked the more aticulate sound of the X5 with the more present treble better, but the smoother, unobtrusive X3 II wasn't bad either.

May 15, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #360 of 7,088
This is my initial first hour on listening to the new X5 2nd Gen  (note things might change as I get a few more hours under my belt)

Setup - Westone 4 out of the headphone jack of the X5 and X5 Gen 2  - I like using the Westone 4 for referencing for some reason, maybe used to it.

Tracks - Deadmau5 - Ghosts n Stuff, Hi Friend!, The Veldt - Flac 

1. ok the first major change I can detect is in the vocal presence - gone is that metallic upper range that tended to give a slightly harsh or metallic edge to vocals.
  2. This time the vocals are cleaner, the treble has a bit more sparkle and space to it and the mids seem a bit fuller and more engaging.
  3. The tonality is stil quite neutral but the Gen 2 feels a tiny bit more linear.
  4. Bass has a bit more definition and snap than the X5 gen 1 which sounds a bit softer and less accurate.
  5. These are all random thoughts to be honest and gut reaction, nothing scientific but right now the new X5 just feels more engaging and alive. 

Back with more later after coffee and smokes :)

By the way the screen on the new X5 Gen 2 has tons more pop and saturation - makes the Gen 1 screen look washed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back