FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,936 of 7,088
  You might be pushing Hd598 too much because they are open, and you want to hear a specific frequency better.  I can advice you to use the EQ function, as it helps lower the volume while hearing what you want to hear easier. 

I'd agree, and add that these cans seem to hit a wall volume-wise where pushing them further does little but add distortion. That's waaaaay up there though.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #1,937 of 7,088

Well, I am happily listening to my X5 II at 50/120 low gain with DUNU DN-2000 now. I will get a portable amp to power my collection of large headphones no matter what.

My X1 can power my HD558 with no trouble and plenty of room to spare.  I almost wonder if you already suffer from hearing loss and that's why you need it louder or if your HD598 are defective?  I mean nothing by this, but it doesn't take much to power the HD598 and I would think listening on high gain at max volume would damage them if they aren't already.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,938 of 7,088
Is there a link for a proper pdf user manual for the X5ii please?

I see this link -> http://pan.baidu.com/s/1dDgyTYL but its a silly adobe flash manual, that I am not even sure it is in English??

Edit: Ok I've now seen the link to download the flash file but its not in English :frowning2: does one exist.

Thanks in advance

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,939 of 7,088
The only headphone I ever got to high gain and 120/120 (it was loud, but I was not satisfied with sound, mostly because of headphone, not DAP's fault) was he-560. But that is way harder to drive than what most people use. 

I felt that X5 could power without hitting max volume even hd800. not full potential, but volume wise it was enough.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,940 of 7,088
  The only headphone I ever got to high gain and 120/120 (it was loud, but I was not satisfied with sound, mostly because of headphone, not DAP's fault) was he-560. But that is way harder to drive than what most people use. 

I felt that X5 could power without hitting max volume even hd800. not full potential, but volume wise it was enough.

I can't help but be curious why, if you have an HE-560 and an HD-800, you are worried about losing $120 by upgrading to the X5ii??

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,942 of 7,088

No George, when I demoed the HD800, my X5 had to be full on hgh gain for some tracks and I wasn't listening over loud. That's when I was handed a Hugo, and the rest is history. Own both now! Bonus was how the X5/Hugo improved all my iems as well.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,943 of 7,088
Hi,

I have a question about high/low gain.

I have an X5 II ordered, just waiting for delivery. Canada Post sucks....

I don't have expensive headphones. The headphones I use mostly are Koss Portapro. 60 Ohm I believe.

I understand the X5 II will power these OK with low gain.

Is there any advantage of using high gain? Other than a shorter battery life, would high gain provide a better sound quality than low gain, on 60 Ohm headphones?

Thanks a lot,

Shannon

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,944 of 7,088
Hi,

I have a question about high/low gain.

I have an X5 II ordered, just waiting for delivery. Canada Post sucks....

I don't have expensive headphones. The headphones I use mostly are Koss Portapro. 60 Ohm I believe.

I understand the X5 II will power these OK with low gain.

Is there any advantage of using high gain? Other than a shorter battery life, would high gain provide a better sound quality than low gain, on 60 Ohm headphones?

Thanks a lot,

Shannon

On my X5 classic with PortaPro's they sound a touch fuller in high gain at the expense of volume range (not a big deal with 120 steps) and noise floor (again not a problem with the very low hiss of the X5). Wouldn't expect the X5ii to be that much different, just a more exaggerated effect on the above due to even greater power.

Pick which you like :)

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,945 of 7,088
  I can't help but be curious why, if you have an HE-560 and an HD-800, you are worried about losing $120 by upgrading to the X5ii??

I do not own either, but spend considerable amounts with them, in various conditions, on various ocasions. 

I only own Ie800, ultrasone dj one pro and x5/E12a combo as my rigs. Rests of what I mention have been tested in depth throughout time. 

You might not know this, but I actually am into creating a open source free to use software, link is in my signature. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,946 of 7,088
  I do not own either, but spend considerable amounts with them, in various conditions, on various ocasions. 

I only own Ie800, ultrasone dj one pro and x5/E12a combo as my rigs. Rests of what I mention have been tested in depth throughout time. 

You might not know this, but I actually am into creating a open source free to use software, link is in my signature. 

Is there a specific pairing you're interested in? I'm getting a test unit shortly and plan on trying as a DAC and with a few tough-to-drive cans along with the more obvious portable cans.

And yes, I've been into audio programming for a bit. Do you have a GitHub or BitBucket repo you're developing to?

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,947 of 7,088
  Is there a specific pairing you're interested in? I'm getting a test unit shortly and plan on trying as a DAC and with a few tough-to-drive cans along with the more obvious portable cans.

And yes, I've been into audio programming for a bit. Do you have a GitHub or BitBucket repo you're developing to?

Neither at the moment. 

I begun with the ideea of having a particular algorithm developed by me, but I passed onto creating my project free of cost for everyone and open source because I might never finish it if I do not work with other people, and I do not have the financial reources to finance myself. This, and I do not have the coding skills to create a project alone. 

I should get some help now, but for the moment, I had not written enough of the code to actually get into coding discussions. To put it in another words, I am learning C# at the moment, and I am still learning. 

Let's not keep this OT discussion, as it is not in highlight at the moment. 

On thread: I am still curious if the new coltage swing actually has strong effects on driving hard to drive headphones. It is mentioned in the spec of X5II on it's page.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,948 of 7,088
  Neither at the moment. 

I begun with the ideea of having a particular algorithm developed by me, but I passed onto creating my project free of cost for everyone and open source because I might never finish it if I do not work with other people, and I do not have the financial reources to finance myself. This, and I do not have the coding skills to create a project alone. 

I should get some help now, but for the moment, I had not written enough of the code to actually get into coding discussions. To put it in another words, I am learning C# at the moment, and I am still learning. 

Let's not keep this OT discussion, as it is not in highlight at the moment. 

On thread: I am still curious if the new coltage swing actually has strong effects on driving hard to drive headphones. It is mentioned in the spec of X5II on it's page.

Sure - let me know when you have some code up - I have a few repos with lots of DSP's, WASAPI engines and FFMpeg interfaces when you get your repo together.

I've been trying to avoid the many reviews done so far on the X5ii to avoid bias, but I'm pretty sure they've been tested with the HD-650 by now. If any can loves voltage-swing that would be one of the more common ones. If not, I'll be able to chime in soon.

Good luck with both 
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,949 of 7,088
Does anyone know if the X5 II comes with one of those plugs like the OG X5 to push into the output that aren't being used? I thought that may prevent accidently plugging my IEM's into the LO. If not, I can steal one from my X5. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,950 of 7,088
The sample units didn't. And I did the same thing - just used the X5 stoppers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back