FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,921 of 7,088
Have you switched over to High Gain? Because the X5 should be able to power the 598. The X3ii does pretty well with my HD600.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,922 of 7,088
Quote:
Have you switched over to High Gain? Because the X5 should be able to power the 598. The X3ii does pretty well with my HD600.

Yes, the first thing I did was switch to high gain. X5 ii drives HD598 OK only at full volume of 120 on high gain.
I don't think X3 powers HD600 well. For me, it worked, but definitely not powerful enough.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,924 of 7,088
  Quote:
Yes, the first thing I did was switch to high gain. X5 ii drives HD598 OK only at full volume of 120 on high gain.
I don't think X3 powers HD600 well. For me, it worked, but definitely not powerful enough.

I used to pair my X3 with JDS C5 portable amplifier. The difference is HUGE when you add an amplifier.

Two things regarding this:

1. For me, external amps are a need.

2. You are listening too loud. I was not able to get near high gain, or over 90/120 on low gain wth hd598. It is not meant as a criticism, but as an advice. This volume is not safe for prolonged periods of exposure. 

I do get loud sometimes, but only for short bursts, to not cause any damage. I strongly recommend you not to listen at high volumes for extended periods of time. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,925 of 7,088

Two things regarding this:

1. For me, external amps are a need.

2. You are listening too loud. I was not able to get near high gain, or over 90/120 on low gain wth hd598. It is not meant as a criticism, but as an advice. This volume is not safe for prolonged periods of exposure. 

I do get loud sometimes, but only for short bursts, to not cause any damage. I strongly recommend you not to listen at high volumes for extended periods of time. 

Thanks for your advice:)
I think it also depends on the music file, the loudness of some original recordings could be quite different when you play at the same volume.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,926 of 7,088
All this talk about not being able to power the HD600 .....

How loud are you guys listening?

Again - I'll refer back to my testing with the HD600 and X5ii.  

X5 (original) vs X5ii
First up was the HD600, and interestingly, level matching with an SPL meter and 1 kHz tone had both DAPs at even 60/120 on high gain – comfortable listening level, and matching to within 0.1 dB.  I played a medley of tracks. And had both DAPs playing simultaneously so that I could switch really quickly, and practically seamlessly. The first thing to notice is that both DAPs sound practically identical in tonality.  In fact – the only thing I really noticed, and this was pretty hard to pick up, even with close A/B, was a very slight lift in spatial sense with the X5ii.  I find it really hard to describe, and I even had to check a couple of times to make sure that the two DAPs were still volume matched. The X5ii sounds very slightly more vivid, more present to me.  But the overall change with the HD600 is very, very minor. Both continue to sound clean, clear, detailed, and consistently having that black background and sense of refinement I really like.

And from the same review:
  POWER

The X5ii’s amp section (like the X5 and X3ii) is a very good one.  Fiio had implemented a new high gain architecture – but I haven’t noticed a big difference in overall power despite the extra 40% current on-tap (according to the literature).  It doesn’t seem to be translating into big volume increases compared to the X5 original anyway.

So far, I’ve tested with HD600 @ 300 ohm, and also (out of curiousity) with the T1.  I didn’t worry about IEMs as I already know it has copious amounts of current available for lower impedance headphones.

The HD600 were driven well, with no noticeable loss of dynamics – especially with the bass. Switching to the T1 was a different story.  Volume was around 75/120 on high gain – but the bass was slightly lacking, and the treble tended to get a bit peaky – which never happens on my desktop sources!  It wasn’t terrible sounding, and with some recordings was actually very good.

With the X5ii – for most headphones (except very difficult to drive full sized), there is simply no point in having an add-on amp.

And also this post recently about the X3ii:

I have the HD600,  I also have the X3ii, X5, and X5ii.  Apart from slight differences in sound signature in my experience all 3 drive the HD600 with no issues.  Volume matched and A/B switching, there is not a lot of difference when switching to a more powerful amp - not even the iFi Micro iDSD (which is uber powerful).  Yes there is a difference in flavour - but saying an amp brings more "dynamics", detail, soundstage all that "guff" - when it is not needed - is simply misleading someone IMO.  Try it volume matched - turn all enhancements off, and listen for the bass performance.

Bestula might be relating a different experience - but I'm sitting here right now  - going back and forth with the HD600, X3ii, X5, and iDSD - and all sound mighty fine with the HD600.  The difference is that I have all 3 volume matched to within 0.1 dB, playing the same file.  And I still can't understand how he's saying that they need 110/120 on high gain.  I'm currently at 63/120 on the X3ii, and any louder than this (track is Dire Straits Sultans of Swing) is starting to get uncomfortable. Average SPL is 76.5 dB.  At 80/120 ave SPL is 86.7 dB. At 110/120 with the quietest music in my test tracks selection, Amber Rubarth's "Tundra" is giving readings of over 90 dB (my max listening level with this track at a comfortable 75-80 dB would be 80/120 - ie plenty of headroom.

The idea that the X5ii can't drive the HD598 adequately - 50 ohm, 112 dB (1 kHz/1 Vrms) - is pretty ridiculous.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #1,927 of 7,088
  Here you go, my X5ii (2nd gen) review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13436

Thanks for the great review @twister6!

I picked up an x5 ii, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm pretty new to all of this, and have read through as much of this forum as I could. I still have one outstanding query: Clearly the amp stage of the new x5 has been improved. I know a lot of people with the original x5 paired it with an E12a or similar. I noticed from your review that you also have that amp (amongst others!)... so in your opinion do you think something like an E12a still adds to the experience with the x5 ii? Or is the new x5 good enough on its own?

EDIT: Just looking at @Brooko's comments from above regarding driving higher impedance 'phones. I've read in a couple of reviews that the consensus is that for lower impedance (specifically Shure 535s in my case), there isn't much point to bolting on a separate amp! I appreciate this stuff is subjective to a large degree... but interesting :)

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #1,928 of 7,088
  The idea that the X5ii can't drive the HD598 adequately - 50 ohm, 112 dB (1 kHz/1 Vrms) - is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah - even the X5 alone drives my HD558's very very powerfully, and they are the same transducers as the 598. I really don't notice any difference adding the E12 to that mix except a slight shift in colour. They just don't benefit much from the extra power. The 650's on the other hand...

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,929 of 7,088
  All this talk about not being able to power the HD600 .....

How loud are you guys listening?

Again - I'll refer back to my testing with the HD600 and X5ii.  

And from the same review:

And also this post recently about the X3ii:

To be honest with you, that is why I don't trust any reviews. I only trust my ears.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,930 of 7,088
Further to above - the Fiio X5ii on high gain will output (peak) 8.2 Vp-p (~2.9 vrms), and greater than 250 mA of current.  I used an online calculator - and that will easily get you to +120 dB (ie over the threshold of pain)

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,931 of 7,088

To be honest with you, that is why I don't trust any reviews. I only trust my ears.

Sorry mate - but if you're listening that loud - your ears - are the last things I'd trust.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,933 of 7,088

Thanks for the great review @twister6!

I picked up an x5 ii, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm pretty new to all of this, and have read through as much of this forum as I could. I still have one outstanding query: Clearly the amp stage of the new x5 has been improved. I know a lot of people with the original x5 paired it with an E12a or similar. I noticed from your review that you also have that amp (amongst others!)... so in your opinion do you think something like an E12a still adds to the experience with the x5 ii? Or is the new x5 good enough on its own?

EDIT: Just looking at @Brooko's comments from above regarding driving higher impedance 'phones. I've read in a couple of reviews that the consensus is that for lower impedance (specifically Shure 535s in my case), there isn't much point to bolting on a separate amp! I appreciate this stuff is subjective to a large degree... but interesting :)

A secondary amp like E12A makes everything sound better.  Not because of pure power, but it has it's own SQ, which is great.

On the other hand, it might not be worth the effort for you, so test before. It changes the taste of sound. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,934 of 7,088

Well, I am happily listening to my X5 II at 50/120 low gain with DUNU DN-2000 now. I will get a portable amp to power my collection of large headphones no matter what.

You might be pushing Hd598 too much because they are open, and you want to hear a specific frequency better.  I can advice you to use the EQ function, as it helps lower the volume while hearing what you want to hear easier. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #1,935 of 7,088

Well, I am happily listening to my X5 II at 50/120 low gain with DUNU DN-2000 now. I will get a portable amp to power my collection of large headphones no matter what.

All power to you mate.  I'd just advise caution.  The numbers don't lie.  I also have the DN-2000s.  With the X5 (and my tests had the output power on X5 and X5ii on low gain as practically identical), listening to well recorded classical I'm rarely above 35/120.  If I was listening to modern well recorded music (eg Dire Straits Sultans of Swing), I'd be at 25/120.

The DN-2000s are very sensitive and also low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back