FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #1,022 of 1,107
Hello.
About poweramp player

Does somebody use it ?
Is the R7 recognized as "hi-res" by poweramp ? (I love this app)
I don't know the app, but just installed it. Is it only for local files?

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,024 of 1,107
Question... though I suspect this may not be favorable, due to the nature of the question is on the tech support side of things.

I'm experiencing a strange issue when using the R7 as a USB-DAC, connected to my Windows PC (I've yet to try it on another computer, but I probably should).

When using the R7 as a DAC, and connected to a speaker (via RCA), I would sometimes hear (at random times) crackling, almost static-like, while I play music from Spotify/Apple Music/anything from the browser. The music would still be playing, but I would hear that annoying static over the music, and that sorta takes the pleasure out of the music. This static would last anywhere from 2-4 seconds. And sometimes.. I would also hear the track "skip" at random parts, and sped-up for a brief second. It's as if the drummer missing a beat, but to make up for it, they would hit an off-note.

Any pointers as to what could be the cause of this? Is this what others might've experienced as "USB latency"?

Additional notes:
1) I happen to have an onboard soundcard, I can't say I hear the same problem when outputting sound through this soundcard.
2) the same also can be said, when outputting sound through the motherboard's optical out. no such issue, only R7.
3) I'm attaching a clip of the problem here. Hopefully this doesn't infringe any copyright laws.

PC Spec
- Windows 11
- Asus ROG Crosshair X670E
- AMD 7800x3D
- Fiio drivers installed
- All BIOS and Drivers running the latest updates
- R7 connected through the motherboard’s USB-C ports at the back. I’ve switched cables and issue persists.
- Speakers are Fiio’s SP3 and Edifier R1850BD. Both speakers exhibit the same noise-issue when outputting from the R7

Attachments

• R7 Recording - Strange Static Noise - Post to Head-Fi.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,025 of 1,107
Hello All! I really don't see a significant upgrade that justifies more than double the price compared to R7. R9 has an additional DAC-Chip and double the THX+ modules- and 2 at least for me useless HDMI-In and Outs- I use I2S- nothing else in this case. In addition one have to pay for the complete useless MQA implementation. I will skip this till Fiio releases a real audiophile edition with additional compatible I2S HDMI out+ AES/EBU out. As a streamer R7 will not significantly fall off in sound quality due to almost the same implementation of clocks and FPGA concerning quality. Price for R9 is way too high! Greetingz, Robert

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #1,026 of 1,107
Hello All! I really don't see a significant upgrade that justifies more than double the price compared to R7. R9 has an additional DAC-Chip and double the THX+ modules- and 2 at least for me useless HDMI-In and Outs- I use I2S- nothing else in this case. In addition one have to pay for the complete useless MQA implementation. I will skip this till Fiio releases a real audiophile edition with additional compatible I2S HDMI out+ AES/EBU out. As a streamer R7 will not significantly fall off in sound quality due to almost the same implementation of clocks and FPGA concerning quality. Price for R9 is way too high! Greetingz, Robert
One that you missed - the addition of an XMOS chip. If using the device to listen to audio that is synced to video (or gaming) on a computer, that will be quite important. Not everyone will use it that way, of course.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #1,027 of 1,107
Yes, it is only for local storage. I come from portable DAP world :)

Can you please, go to parameters > audio > info audio, then scroll down in output section, can you see 'Hi Res Output' ?
Sure, this is what I see.
Is that the information you needed?
PXL_20240111_180159351.jpg

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #1,029 of 1,107
I too am ‘staying put’ with my R7, rather than upgrading to the R9.

i use my R7 purely as a Roon-Ready endpoint, and I don’t need the extra output power that the R9 provides.
Plus the R7 sounds so damn good! I also have an M17, and the R7 isn’t ‘far behind’ the M17 at all! :gs1000smile:

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,030 of 1,107
I too am ‘staying put’ with my R7, rather than upgrading to the R9.

i use my R7 purely as a Roon-Ready endpoint, and I don’t need the extra output power that the R9 provides.
Plus the R7 sounds so damn good! I also have an M17, and the R7 isn’t ‘far behind’ the M17 at all! :gs1000smile:
Hi,
It seems we have different standards :)
I really love the pack of features offered by the R7
But i5 think it sounds nice for sure, maybe it even sounds great... But not damn good to my ears :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,031 of 1,107
Hi,
It seems we have different standards :)
I really love the pack of features offered by the R7
But i5 think it sounds nice for sure, maybe it even sounds great... But not damn good to my ears :frowning2:
‘Each to their own.’

As a Head-Fi neophyte, it will undoubtedly take you time and experience to fully-appreciate the differing ‘standards’ that different equipment provides :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #1,033 of 1,107
Question... though I suspect this may not be favorable, due to the nature of the question is on the tech support side of things.

I'm experiencing a strange issue when using the R7 as a USB-DAC, connected to my Windows PC (I've yet to try it on another computer, but I probably should).

When using the R7 as a DAC, and connected to a speaker (via RCA), I would sometimes hear (at random times) crackling, almost static-like, while I play music from Spotify/Apple Music/anything from the browser. The music would still be playing, but I would hear that annoying static over the music, and that sorta takes the pleasure out of the music. This static would last anywhere from 2-4 seconds. And sometimes.. I would also hear the track "skip" at random parts, and sped-up for a brief second. It's as if the drummer missing a beat, but to make up for it, they would hit an off-note.

Any pointers as to what could be the cause of this? Is this what others might've experienced as "USB latency"?

Additional notes:
1) I happen to have an onboard soundcard, I can't say I hear the same problem when outputting sound through this soundcard.
2) the same also can be said, when outputting sound through the motherboard's optical out. no such issue, only R7.
3) I'm attaching a clip of the problem here. Hopefully this doesn't infringe any copyright laws.

PC Spec
- Windows 11
- Asus ROG Crosshair X670E
- AMD 7800x3D
- Fiio drivers installed
- All BIOS and Drivers running the latest updates
- R7 connected through the motherboard’s USB-C ports at the back. I’ve switched cables and issue persists.
- Speakers are Fiio’s SP3 and Edifier R1850BD. Both speakers exhibit the same noise-issue when outputting from the R7
Dear friend,

Hi, does the issue happen when using the headphone out in the R7? The problem happens only in LO or not?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #1,034 of 1,107
Hi guys,

is there an Android app, which could be installed on the R7 and controlled remotely from iOS (iPhone)?

Something similar to MonkeyMote Music Remote which I use to control jRiver Media Center running on my PC.

(At the moment I`m running Bubble UPnP (on R7) and mconnect app on the iPhone. From mconnect, I`m able to search/browse (via Bubble UPnP) an SSD attached to R7, select music and let it be streamed back to the Bubble UPnP. But that`s actually casting (streaming), if I`m not wrong. There should be some more simple way, right?)

Edit: OK, so after some searching I found an app called HiBy, which is available for both Android and iOS. On R7 I`ve activated HiBy link in server mode, while the iPhone app acts as a controller. So it seems to do the job.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #1,035 of 1,107
Hi guys,

is there an Android app, which could be installed on the R7 and controlled remotely from iOS (iPhone)?

Something similar to MonkeyMote Music Remote which I use to control jRiver Media Center running on my PC.

(At the moment I`m running Bubble UPnP (on R7) and mconnect app on the iPhone. From mconnect, I`m able to search/browse (via Bubble UPnP) an SSD attached to R7, select music and let it be streamed back to the Bubble UPnP. But that`s actually casting (streaming), if I`m not wrong. There should be some more simple way, right?)

Edit: OK, so after some searching I found an app called HiBy, which is available for both Android and iOS. On R7 I`ve activated HiBy link in server mode, while the iPhone app acts as a controller. So it seems to do the job.
Dear friend,

Hi, you could also check whether the FiiO Link Wifi function or FiiO cast function could meet your need?
FiiO link Wifi function instruction:
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/819634.html
FiiO cast function instruction:
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/879536.html

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back