FiiO Q5S Impressions and discussion thread
Jul 28, 2019 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47
FiiO Q5S IMG_3091.jpg

This just arrived yesterday. My initial impressions are that it sounds a bit clearer and nicer than the original Q5 (which has an AM3A attached) using my iPhone as a USB source. I've yet to try Bluetooth. I did try the Empyreans with it, and the sound quality was better than I had expected.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 47

This just arrived yesterday. My initial impressions are that it sounds a bit clearer and nicer than the original Q5 (which has an AM3A attached) using my iPhone as a USB source. I've yet to try Bluetooth. I did try the Empyreans with it, and the sound quality was better than I had expected.

I have Q5S on order with AM3D module. Any of these has AM3D? If so how they compare each other? AM3E vs AM3D?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 47
Posted in another thread, but it'd be good to try jumpstarting this thread:

So I did an A/B comparison of the Q5/AM3D vs Q5S/AM3E:
- I used Sennheiser HD660S headphones with the 4.4mm cable; it was just a convenient pair I had nearby with a 4.4mm connector.
- I volume matched the output with a Fluke multimeter.
- I connected the two devices to two separate Macs, and used Tidal set to HiFi mode.
- I started the same tracks simultaneously on both Macs.
- I swapped the headphone cable between the Q5 & Q5S, comparing the sound. Note, it still takes ~ 6 seconds to do the swap due to a relay that takes a couple seconds until it outputs a signal.
- I mainly used Peter Gabriel's So album, since I'm very familiar with it and it's dense and well recorded.

As I suspected, I couldn't really hear any difference. Maybe if I spend more time and used a variety of different headphones and IEMs, I might have found some differences. I'll likely try my IER-Z1R, Solaris, Andromeda, and SE846 soon, seeing if there's a different with those IEMs and impedance matching.

I'm sure someone with golden ears will proclaim a huge difference between the two, but for my ears they're close enough that I'd choose the device and module based on features and/or cost. I like the new Q5S' minor feature updates, and I like that the AM3E has all common headphone connectors (3.5, 2.5, 4.4) so this is what I'll stick with. I own most of the other amp modules as well, so I'll likely look to sell all the rest and stick with the Q5S/AM3E combo (and maybe keep the AM3D around for those days I want to tell myself it sounds better).

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 47
With usa president trump announcing tariff on all remaining Chinese imports beginning in September many electronic consumer products are expected to be affected in price. It will be interesting to see how the many products just beginning to be coming to the market will be priced.

Apple and samsung for example have not been performing as they at hoped to this date; an increase in prices would be unhelpful to both consumers and manufacturers.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 47
So I did an A/B comparison of the Q5/AM3D vs Q5S/AM3E:

I might have to try the AM3E on the Q5, as I only have the AM3A. If there's going to be a gap between switching, I prefer to listen to a whole track between switching.

The other thing I always try is using them as a DAC to another amp, as that eliminates the difference between the amp modules by not including them.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 47
As a side note, I have the q5 and I am very pleased with performance and only wanted to add am3b for 4.4mm connection; I use it with bluetooth only, and it is what I use for quality music listening of about an hour.

The q5 is currently selling $50 less than the list price which I paid near the end of 2018; for some listeners the older model, if still available, might be a choice as the newer q5s will might be more expensive due to added cost of production and tariff's. I am still uncertain if I will upgrade.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 47
I tried comparing, level-matched, the Q5 with the Q5S, both using the AM3E module, and there is almost nothing in it. With the best music I have to hand, Chesky binaural albums, I felt that the Q5S was possibly very slightly better. It seems most of the improvement has been through the amp modules.

Aug 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 47
I tried comparing, level-matched, the Q5 with the Q5S, both using the AM3E module, and there is almost nothing in it. With the best music I have to hand, Chesky binaural albums, I felt that the Q5S was possibly very slightly better. It seems most of the improvement has been through the amp modules.
Do you have AM3D THX module?

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 47
Do you have AM3D THX module?

No, unfortunately. I'm wondering though if it will be much different to the AM3E. I think the limitation will be the Q5S in that regard. I tried briefly with a Pico Power using the line out and didn't notice any difference from using the AM3E. I'm going to try a few combinations of headphones, IEMs and amps to see what I can figure out.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 47
I would certainly appreciate if Fiio would make an official announcement concerning both release date and price of their new Q5s and amp modules. I can appreciate the problem of the usa tariff and the Chinese change in their currency evaluation to be a problem for Fiio. It too is problematic for usa consumers.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 47
I recently picked up the Q5S and so far, I am absolutely loving it! It pairs with the Sony EX1000's & EX800ST's perfectly to my ears with bass boost on :)

I also bought the AM3D however I found it made the EX1000's treble too piercing for me.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 47
I recently picked up the Q5S and so far, I am absolutely loving it! It pairs with the Sony EX1000's & EX800ST's perfectly to my ears with bass boost on :)

I also bought the AM3D however I found it made the EX1000's treble too piercing for me.
Can u compare both modules ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back