FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,141 of 3,739
Quote:
@wayne

The E12 is makin my AD900X sound wonderful! Bass boost makes the low end very full, really fills in the rest of the spectrum. Sounds great without the boost as well though. I'll post more about it when I get home.

Very cool. I'm absolutely loving the detail and resolution of my ad900x's through my ele dac (no matter what I'm listening to... trance, dubstep, rock, whatever). When I throw my E11 into the mix though, it still sounds great, but I think that I am losing a bit of that detail/resolution. From everything I've read, the C&C's would probably be a clear upgrade from the E11. I suspect that the E12 would as well. So, I'm definitely looking forward to your impressions of both! Thanks.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,144 of 3,739
Quote:
Man those are sexy. Not finding them available on Amazon yet. How much they will be selling for?

Whatcha referring to?

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #1,146 of 3,739
Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. 

Now I have a question for those that own the E12, please: I just noticed yesterday that when I turn it on, there is no sound for several seconds, then there is a loud clicking/popping noise inside the housing of the device, and then the sound comes on. The blue power light comes on immediately, but this delay in the sound starting and the noise that happens when it does worries me.  It also makes the same sound several seconds after I turn it off.  I feel like it wasn't doing this when I first got it, but I suppose there's a chance I just didn't notice it. If anyone can confirm if this is normal or not, I would really appreciate it.

I'm sure others have mentioned this, but that's a feature. A power-on delay (which makes that physical "tic" sound you heard from the E12), designed to help prevent the "thump" you sometimes hear through the headphones with cheap amps. Many home theater receivers have this feature as well. The "thump" is a power spike, bad for your ears and headphones, so it's nice FiiO has tried to address that. Even so, you ought to plug in your headphones AFTER the amp is turned on already.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,147 of 3,739
I'm sure others have mentioned this, but that's a feature. A power-on delay (which makes that physical "tic" sound you heard from the E12), designed to help prevent the "thump" you sometimes hear through the headphones with cheap amps. Many home theater receivers have this feature as well. The "thump" is a power spike, bad for your ears and headphones, so it's nice FiiO has tried to address that. Even so, you ought to plug in your headphones AFTER the amp is turned on already.

It is a relay between the amp and loader(headphones), to avoid any pop noise during the amp is power on.

you can check out what is Relay in wiki I believe. when the relay is on or off, you can hear some "da da" sound because the switcher is on or off.

you can alway connect your expensive headphones in E12 but don't need to worry about the pop noise will damage it.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,148 of 3,739
How do I replace the battery in my E09K?
What kind of battery is it?
Where can I get a replacement?
What brand name is it?
What type of battery is it?
How big is it?
How much does it weigh?
Where is the battery?
Why doesn't it have a battery? :p

Sunday morning......what can I say? Just bored I guess.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,150 of 3,739
About the decision about the bass boost.

1, Not any change about the boost value, still about 4.3 to 4.5 dB as the original version.

2, The new bass boost is not the same as E11, so don't need to worry about the new bass boost will affect the mid range . 

Sorry it maybe a stupid decision , but for people who don't like the change, they can still choose the bass off.

Trust me, the bass is all about energy ( power ), and Mont Blanc have plenty power to push out the bass of your headphones. I guess some people still remember that we have a plan to release a limited DIY version,

which will not includes any sound effect, only volume control and gain control. but we will also consider to develop a amp with very good bass boost in the future when we have time. but now we just have too many 

new project so all we need is time. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,151 of 3,739
Quote:
About the decision about the bass boost.

1, Not any change about the boost value, still about 4.3 to 4.5 dB as the original version.

2, The new bass boost is not the same as E11, so don't need to worry about the new bass boost will affect the mid range . 

Sorry it maybe a stupid decision , but for people who don't like the change, they can still choose the bass off.

Trust me, the bass is all about energy ( power ), and Mont Blanc have plenty power to push out the bass of your headphones. I guess some people still remember that we have a plan to release a limited DIY version,

which will not includes any sound effect, only volume control and gain control. but we will also consider to develop a amp with very good bass boost in the future when we have time. but now we just have too many 

new project so all we need is time. 

Thank you James.  You make some good points.  While I am a basshead, I expect to listen to many genres without bass boost.  When I engage bass boost for other genres, I want as much impact as possible, I believe the revised version is the best of both worlds to satisfy the majority (you can't please everyone).  When should we expect the updated units in the US and how will we know we are receiving the bass adjusted unit?

Another suggestion to help you best utilize feedback from Head-fi members would be to encourage feedback earlier in the development process.  One way all this bass confusion could have been avoided was if there was a two stage bass boost designed into the E12 from the start as this is a very popular feature of the E11.  Someone suggested using polls that may be helpful in future product development.  I believe this process worked well for Val Kolton regarding his development of the M-100.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,152 of 3,739
It is a relay between the amp and loader(headphones), to avoid any pop noise during the amp is power on.

you can check out what is Relay in wiki I believe. when the relay is on or off, you can hear some "da da" sound because the switcher is on or off.

you can alway connect your expensive headphones in E12 but don't need to worry about the pop noise will damage it.

A delay circuit... A relay that causes a delay between amp & load...
It's six or half dozen.

Anyway, along with Craigster's suggestion about utilizing Head-Fi feedback, you would probably get a better idea about the "majority" vote about something like a bass-boost setting by listing the pros/cons of both choices (like you did with the power output and charging behavior), and then setting up an actual poll. You'll probably have more people participate in voting, and it'll be easier for you to count votes. For example, by my count, since your posted question on page 63 a week ago, 7 different people have asked for more bass boost, 12 different people said they like it as-is, two people only mentioned they would like more adjustability options (like the E6's system). Nobody who has owned/heard the Mont Blanc has been unhappy with the bass. Now, the number of people who have commented in the week since you posted the question may not be a large enough sample size to draw conclusions, but the point I'm trying to make is you're making a change based on a vocal minority. If you do want to ask consumers about future changes, using a polling system will help you keep your head above bias... A statistician could help you even more (which I am not).

As far as your decision about changing the bass boost... it doesn't actually affect me, because I already have a Mont Blanc the way I like it. I'll just have to note the change in my review so other people will know I have a limited production design.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,153 of 3,739
So I ran my E12 down from a full charge last night and came out to about 11 hours. Not sure where I read 17 from. Not a bad run, I guess, but I think I'm just feeling a little spoiled from my BH's battery.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,154 of 3,739
when is this DIY version coming out? im waiting
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #1,155 of 3,739
Quote:
So I ran my E12 down from a full charge last night and came out to about 11 hours. Not sure where I read 17 from. Not a bad run, I guess, but I think I'm just feeling a little spoiled from my BH's battery.

I haven't completely run it down yet. But I personaly have felt 10 hours from my other uses with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back