FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #736 of 3,739
Noise is only added when it's plugged in right?  Does it change the signal in any other way? 

Still haven't charged it, myself :D
Though I was listening to it just now. I think I've only had time to listen for about 5 hours now, so I'm still forming an opinion on the sound (and learning to pay closer attention).

This isn't what you were asking, but somewhat related: my iPod died partway through listening this morning. With the L11 plugged in to amp and charging the iPod, I didn't notice any change or noise. I still think it's a bummer that the L11 USB tip is different from the E12's.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #737 of 3,739
So, is this basically un upgrade from the 11? If one wanted a portable and a DAC, I assume the 17  is still the way to go? I ask as I think of purchasing a portable amp in the near future, and don't currently have a DAC.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #738 of 3,739
So, is this basically un upgrade from the 11? If one wanted a portable and a DAC, I assume the 17  is still the way to go? I ask as I think of purchasing a portable amp in the near future, and don't currently have a DAC.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #739 of 3,739
Quote:

Yes and yes to your double post
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #741 of 3,739
Quote:
Mabe. In real life after it is all stacked and everything, it isn't that big

How long? Minus 2 years long

The E10 is FiiO's only desktop DAC/Amp an the E9 and E09K is FiiO's desktop amp.

Thank for the complments.

Ha, I should have said that a bit more clearly. I know Fiio has those desktop amps/dac's, what I meant was, until it had a flag ship model that wasn't portable, or considered beyond entry level. The quality Fiio is bring to entry level equipment is undeniably awesome. I wonder if we will see them move beyond entry to mid fi level equipment soon.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #742 of 3,739
Quote:
Noise is only added when it's plugged in right?  Does it change the signal in any other way? 

And also, I got the analogy..  It was just a really bad one only implying some abstract level of subjectivity by comparing things completely irrelevant to one another. 

I thought you might've meant that. There are different masters of those records so it depends which ones you're listening to. I'm referring to the 24-bit remastered stereo ones. I like how those sound despite their hard left and hard right mix.  With compensation of time it takes for sound to travel between two ears kept in mind, I'd be interested to listen to how some of that stuff sounds like.  This is keeping in mind of course that if that is what an engineer wanted, he/she would've done it to begin with, maybe for a kind of spacing distribution.  If an engineer (or artist) simply didn't even understand these kind of concepts when mixing to begin with, well then that's just how it is and that's how it sounds like.  I don't believe in "correcting" that, same as I don't believe in altering the mix/master in any other way.  This is just as integral to the song as is the composition.  There's so much proof of that.  In the end, it would be like adding harmonies to a song which doesn't have any, even if it feels like it needs them or would benefit from them.  If it's crap without it, then it's crap, and you move on.  It's how everyone else will theoretically hear it too.

I'm not arguing vs. your use of it by the way - just saying...  In your case and where you say you like it to be on, (as I've said, I'm curious in trying it myself) it actually doesn't have much to do with the things I was describing.

Please keep in mind that those albums were mixed over loudspeakers, so no thought whatsoever was given to how they may sound over headphones.

I (unintentionally) alter the mix every time I play music thru my headphones or loudspeakers, I don't EQ, but my equipment does not sound like a recording studio monitor.
I like the idea of a headphone crossfeed to compensate for the lack of crossfeed the room itself always adds when listening via loudspeakers.
Another excuse for me to get the E12!
wink_face.gif

Just sayin'

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #743 of 3,739
Quote:

Mani ATH 87,
My mother's Android cellphone is bigger than the E12. Unless you are hiking all day and every ounce of weight is important to you, the E12 is compact enough to fit with an iPod Classic in my back jeans pockets. If your pocket can hold a wallet and phone simultaneously, you can probably fit an E12 and PMP together in there. The wiring might be a little tricky though (I still think straight plugs are least likely to become unplugged in pocket), and of course any PMP strapped to an amp is going to make a bulge in your pocket.
It's not perfect, nor as convenient as an E6, but the E12 is definitely portable and transportable.

This is simply your opinion, for me the E12 is a bit on the large size to consider portable. I usually carry many things in my pockets already when out, so for me personally the size of the E12 is somewhat inconvenient. I am not saying that it should not be considered a portable device, I am just saying that for me it's a bit to big.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #744 of 3,739
Quote:
This is simply your opinion, for me the E12 is a bit on the large size to consider portable. I usually carry many things in my pockets already when out, so for me personally the size of the E12 is somewhat inconvenient. I am not saying that it should not be considered a portable device, I am just saying that for me it's a bit to big.

Yeah, its definitely not something you'd strap to a nano and slide in a pocket. For me, I'm happy with anything I can strap to an ipod and keep in the front of my backback. Not many people will be taking the E12 to the gym! I'm surprised that it wasn't slightly shorter so that it didn't extend past the edge of a classic/touch, but I bet its the same size height as one of the larger smartphones. I wonder if the E18 will be the same casing size. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #745 of 3,739

Not trying to change your mind or disagree with you, but when I unboxed the E12 I was expecting something bigger. It's profile is fairly slim, obviously has length. When it gets released in numbers see if you can look at a friends E12 as in real life I didn't find it as big as I was expecting.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #746 of 3,739
Yeah, its definitely not something you'd strap to a nano and slide in a pocket. For me, I'm happy with anything I can strap to an ipod and keep in the front of my backback. Not many people will be taking the E12 to the gym! I'm surprised that it wasn't slightly shorter so that it didn't extend past the edge of a classic/touch, but I bet its the same size height as one of the larger smartphones. I wonder if the E18 will be the same casing size. 

I never thought about strapping a Nano to the side and taking it to the gym. Brilliant idea. Thanks :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #748 of 3,739
Quote:
So have you got any of these as a comparison?

PS. My photos on page 38 + review

Not trying to change your mind or disagree with you, but when I unboxed the E12 I was expecting something bigger. It's profile is fairly slim, obviously has length. When it gets released in numbers see if you can look at a friends E12 as in real life I didn't find it as big as I was expecting.

I never thought about strapping a Nano to the side and taking it to the gym. Brilliant idea. Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

You can respond to multiple posts in one post...

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #749 of 3,739

Users who are viewing this thread

Back