FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Aug 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,206 of 3,739
I still want a version 1 E12 with the different bass boost frequency !!  Yes, I can eq the bass in other ways but I have heard the v1 boost is sublime. Are there any available? Can I modify my v2? Should I go on a hunger strike until FiiO makes this available again?

I strongly suspect the legendary bass boost of V1 is grossly exaggerated. Nothing you can't duplicate with software EQ.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,207 of 3,739
Quote:
I picked up the Fiio e12 recently to mainly go with my ipod classic as I prefer the sound LOD,  at first I tried it with my GR07s and I was not very happy, I than tried it with my Shure se 215s and holy moly they sound better than ever. Another reason was to try it with my X3 as James says a lot of people in China swear by the combo.

I amazed at the sound quality of my F3/E12 combo. For the first time I have portable SQ approaching that of my desktop setup, and all for only $330. Thanks Fiio!

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2,208 of 3,739
Quote:

I strongly suspect the legendary bass boost of V1 is grossly exaggerated.Nothing you can't duplicate with software EQ.

I'm going to go with this.

Any time something is given, then taken away, people think it was the best ever....(Like McRib. Barf.... )

It was probably scratched for a reason, and personally I think the E12 bass boost is already sublime. It depends a lot on your DAC.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,209 of 3,739
I'm going to go with this.

Any time something is given, then taken away, people think it was the best ever....(Like McRib. Barf.... )

It was probably scratched for a reason, and personally I think the E12 bass boost is already sublime. It depends a lot on your DAC.

Eh, never said the current bass boost was bad, I personally haven't heard it. Pretty sure the reason the original configuration was "scratched" was because the first reviews clearly stated it was subtle and not noticeable in every song, and then a couple of people on head-Fi (who hadn't heard it) and in china, I think, said the boost ought to always make a noticeable difference. I think a lot of people expect that, but weren't excited about a bass boost that was more about bass extension.
Personally, bass extension was what attracted me to the amp in the first place (well, also I needed a compact, refined amp with enough power I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long time for power's sake), and far as I know the bass boost was uniquely "aimed" for an amp "bonus feature." It's an easier way for me to counter sub-bass roll-off than Rockboxing my iPod, or tethering to a computer. With my E5 (first amp), I switched on and off the bass boost all the time for different songs till eventually I just left it off due to slight bass bleed, but when I actually tested the E12 I was pleased that I could basically leave it on for any song to improve the "atmosphere" without messing up the master mix or detail.

It wasn't taken away from me, and right now it's my fav feature of the amp. I wouldn't bother with using it with a closed headphone with good bass extension already, but with open headphones it seems tailor-made to counter sub-bass roll off. If someone is interested in "more bass," the current version is more noticeable and appropriate.
McRibs were always kinda "meh" after the first time I tasted them, but the BBQ pulled pork at Subway is awesome!

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2,210 of 3,739
It wasn't taken away from me, and right now it's my fav feature of the amp. I wouldn't bother with using it with a closed headphone with good bass extension already, but with open headphones it seems tailor-made to counter sub-bass roll off. If someone is interested in "more bass," the current version is more noticeable and appropriate.
McRibs were always kinda "meh" after the first time I tasted them, but the BBQ pulled pork at Subway is awesome!

Yup! My E12 (which happens to be the initial version) is definitely tailor made for my open headphones. Love it.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,211 of 3,739

I amazed at the sound quality of my F3/E12 combo. For the first time I have portable SQ approaching that of my desktop setup, and all for only $330. Thanks Fiio!

I finally listened to the duo and was amazed at how those two sound together (X3/E12). I listened to them with my shure se215s and it REALLY brings them to life. What a great combo!!

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,212 of 3,739
Yup! My E12 (which happens to be the initial version) is definitely tailor made for my open headphones. Love it.

I mean, I've been reading this thread for a while (not as often lately), I haven't seen anyone who heard the initial version say they didn't like it. Just when people like me said in our reviews that the amp is very clean, this feature, that feature, bass boost is neat but someone looking to transform headphones into bass monsters should look elsewhere, suddenly we had a couple people posting on that point and saying (unauditioned) that they wanted more bass. I actually counted at one point, the people asking for more were outnumbered by the people who said they liked it or wanted to keep it the same, so I can only assume there were a ton of people in china who really petitioned for more bass.

Funny thing, what they got wasn't actually "more" bass, just that the +6 dB boosted peak moved from the sub-bass up to a higher frequency with the same +6 dB boost. So, it now boosts the same mid-bass area that most headphones already have a "hump" at in their frequency response charts, but I guess for many people that boosting mid-bass even further above the recorded level is what they want. They're entitled to that taste, but to me that boost just seems so common as what I could get with so many other amps, "I" thought the E12 was unique and novel for having a sub-bass tweak that helps where most open headphones frequency response drops below the "neutral" recorded level of a song mix, and do it in such a way that the bass didn't bleed over other notes or mess with the rest of a headphone's frequency response.

A digital EQ could "basically" be targeted to have the same effect, but there does seem to be a benefit to applying the boost at the analogue stage instead, and I'm not going to hack my iPod to get computer EQ controls. It's a personal benefit; when I first got the E12 I just needed a powerful, versatile, low distortion amp, but now that I have a few amps, the unique bass boost is the only reason I've kept the Mont Blanc.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,215 of 3,739
Most songs don't really reach that low, true, but I find that engaging the E12 v1 bass boost does result in a "fuller" sound. YMMV depending on the track/movie/game/etc, but that's been my experience. I keep it on most of the time for that reason, which is why I love the v1 boost: it's very unintrusive and adds some weight to the bottom of the spectrum. For the ATH-AD Air series, it's a very welcome enhancement to their already very airy sound and somewhat hollow bottom.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,216 of 3,739
James,

Would Fiio produce a new batch of E12 that has v1/batch 1 bass boost (DEEP bass boost that does not go over 100Hz). There were only 200-300 pieces of batch 1, correct?

How many pieces of batch 2/3 has Fiio released? I am guessing a lot more than 300? The mass-produced batch 2/3 E12s, which offer "more" bass, should have made enough bassheads happy. 

Maybe now is time to make another batch for audiophiles who prefer flat bass with tight boost below 100 Hz (like what batch 1 offers).

Most good headphones don't lack bass above 100 Hz. Below 100 Hz, some sub bass boost is really helpful for lots of open headphones (e.g., HD600, DT880, K/Q/701/702, Grados, some Sony, open ATHs).

Batch 2/3 E12's bass boost, which goes above and beyond 100 Hz, may change music too much and cause bloat / reduce clarity.

Like you hinted before in this thread, if huge bass is needed, better approach is using bassy/huge driver headphones like Sony XB700/1000, rather than boosting through DAP/amp. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,217 of 3,739
Does there happen to be a difference in bass boost between batch 2 and 3 or do they both fall under the v2 version?

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,219 of 3,739
Does there happen to be a difference in bass boost between batch 2 and 3 or do they both fall under the v2 version?

I heard whatever after batch 2 has v2 bass boost, which may be too much (+6db at 100 Hz)IIRC.

If you want bass boost that is tight and deep (boost +5db below 60 Hz and neutral at 100 Hz or above), it is safe to go with batch 1 (which has "10 0" above "Gain (db)").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back