FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jun 24, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,681 of 2,001

I wonder why you think it is not as good as you hoped, i know the UI and screen are not exactly wonderful or easy to use but the sound (which is why people buy fiio) is very good for the size/price, i read all the (english language) reviews before buying and they are uniformally good as far as SQ is concerned (obviously it is not as detailed/airy etc. as the x7 but it is enjoyable and as one reviewer said it has an organic musical SQ which makes music very listenable),

d

you shut your mouth 
tongue.gif

if Fiio feels that anything is not as good as they had hoped and that it can be improve upon (sound especially), let them! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,682 of 2,001
This baby stack cost less than these iem's but man does it ever sound good, clarity and detail are unheard of at this price point that I've heard before
bigsmile_face.gif

The decay off these piano notes on this track (Say Something) are simply amazing
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,683 of 2,001
Hey all,

Not sure if this is too off-topic, but I was recently able to take a tour of FiiO's factory. Take a look with the link below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812274/fiio-factory-tour-2016

While I don't have pictures of the M3 at their factory, I do have some pictures of FiiO's other DAPs on the assembly floor.

Hopefully somebody finds this interesting!

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,684 of 2,001
  Hey all,

Not sure if this is too off-topic, but I was recently able to take a tour of FiiO's factory. Take a look with the link below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812274/fiio-factory-tour-2016

While I don't have pictures of the M3 at their factory, I do have some pictures of FiiO's other DAPs on the assembly floor.

Hopefully somebody finds this interesting!

Nice, FiiO is sure no small operation and by the looks of everything QC is a big issue with them
bigsmile_face.gif
THX for sharing
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,685 of 2,001
It seems that 'Sleep Timer (min)' automatically returns to 0 every time the FiiO M3 turns off. That's a bit annoying. I listen to music from the M3 when I'm going to sleep, and if I haven't remembered to set the Sleep Timer to 60 (or some other number), then I wake up in the morning with music still playing and the battery depleted by two or three bars. 

Is there some extra setting that I'm overlooking? Or is my mSD card too full (I am using a 64GB and want to upgrade to 200GB later this year)? Is this simply a consequence of the hardware/firmware? Or might mine be a faulty device?

Other settings, such as Resume mode, which I set to 'Position', do not need resetting; once is enough for setting Resume and the others, apart from Sleep Timer. Unlike 'Sleep Timer', when I turn the M3 on, the other settings remain as I set them when I first made the setting some weeks ago. So my M3 opens at the song and in the the position it was in the last time I was listening. Only Sleep Timer requires resetting every time it is turned on again, and this is a bit of a problem for me. 

Pete

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,686 of 2,001
IMO, the biggest thing that hurts this player is the lack of external playlist file support.  Having to redo your entire playlist because you want to add a song to it (unless you want to add it to the end of a playlist) is a pretty big negative given how tedious it is to make one on the player.  Outside of that, the battery life is great, and the sound is good.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,687 of 2,001
Got some free time on my hands yesterday, so I started adding songs to the favorites playlist one by one...and found that it capped at 100 songs, after which it will either stop adding songs to the end or overwrite the first song. Does this also happen for the other 2 playlists?

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,688 of 2,001
Sad.. Very sad playlist implementation

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,689 of 2,001
Don't mind the playlist cap so much as the fact that all new folders get placed either at random, or at the end of the folder list (and I can never predict which it will be, not that that matters). Still, only what, US$55 or so, so for what it can do, it's still a good deal.

Pete

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,690 of 2,001
Don't mind the playlist cap so much as the fact that all new folders get placed either at random, or at the end of the folder list (and I can never predict which it will be, not that that matters). Still, only what, US$55 or so, so for what it can do, it's still a good deal.

Pete
using FolderSort to sort out your folders after copying them in solve this issue

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #1,691 of 2,001
using FolderSort to sort out your folders after copying them in solve this issue

Cheers Sp12er3,

But I don't have a Windows PC, I use a Mac (for my sins,it seems, as I am discovering that Mac is not as well covered regarding audio software and solutions). Anyone know anything I can do to sort out my folders problem on the FiiO M3.

To refresh, the problem is that every time I add an album to my library by an artist not previously in my collection, then the FiiO M3 pus that new folder either at the very end of the folder list, or somewhere at random, but not in its correct alphabetical place.

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #1,692 of 2,001
  Cheers Sp12er3,

But I don't have a Windows PC, I use a Mac (for my sins,it seems, as I am discovering that Mac is not as well covered regarding audio software and solutions). Anyone know anything I can do to sort out my folders problem on the FiiO M3.

To refresh, the problem is that every time I add an album to my library by an artist not previously in my collection, then the FiiO M3 pus that new folder either at the very end of the folder list, or somewhere at random, but not in its correct alphabetical place.

just a stab in the dark, but when you add the folders, try sorting them by name on the Mac, and then update the library on the M3

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,693 of 2,001
  just a stab in the dark, but when you add the folders, try sorting them by name on the Mac, and then update the library on the M3

Good suggestion. But I think I'm already doing that, unless there's something else I can be doing. Here's what I do:

I rip my CDs to FLACs, then add tags and album art using Swinsian. The music library folder is ordered alphabetically by artist. Each artist has a folder, inside which are albums by that artist. I have a few by Miles Davis, so when I add a new Miles album, no problem on the FiiO M3, because Miles already is listed under the Ms. However, I so far have no Lee Konitz albums. If I add one tomorrow, there is no Lee Konitz folder on my FiiO M3, so the new Lee Konitz floder would then appear either (A) somewhere at random, but not 'L' as it should', or (B) at the very end of the list, after the 'Z's.

As for updating the FiiO M3 library, that is set to automatic, and happens every time I add new music. I have even done an extra manual update sometimes, out of desperation, but of course that doesn't help either. Of course, 'desperation' is too strong a word, I know millions on this poor planet have problems that induce real desperation, and I'm grateful to the M3 for what it can do well, just wish slightly that I can find a solution to this and one or two other minor niggles.

Pete

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #1,694 of 2,001
Good suggestion. But I think I'm already doing that, unless there's something else I can be doing. Here's what I do:

I rip my CDs to FLACs, then add tags and album art using Swinsian. The music library folder is ordered alphabetically by artist. Each artist has a folder, inside which are albums by that artist. I have a few by Miles Davis, so when I add a new Miles album, no problem on the FiiO M3, because Miles already is listed under the Ms. However, I so far have no Lee Konitz albums. If I add one tomorrow, there is no Lee Konitz folder on my FiiO M3, so the new Lee Konitz floder would then appear either (A) somewhere at random, but not 'L' as it should', or (B) at the very end of the list, after the 'Z's.

As for updating the FiiO M3 library, that is set to automatic, and happens every time I add new music. I have even done an extra manual update sometimes, out of desperation, but of course that doesn't help either. Of course, 'desperation' is too strong a word, I know millions on this poor planet have problems that induce real desperation, and I'm grateful to the M3 for what it can do well, just wish slightly that I can find a solution to this and one or two other minor niggles.

Pete

Oh no, I understand exactly what your issue is, and I order my files and folders the same way. I too have this sorting issue.

I'm just busy sorting out a few hard drives, once in done with that I'll see if I can figure out a way to get it to display correctly without the need to use additional apps. I'm on a pc though, but will keep you updated.

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,695 of 2,001
Mine seems to simply order folders by the date added to the SD card no matter how I try to sort them. The only Windows machine I have access to is running Windows 10 and FolderSort doesn't appear to work.

If I format the SD Card and then add everything back in using MediaMonkey they end up in alphabetical order again but that would be down to the date/time order that MediaMonkey uses to copy them across.

I use the same file/folder structure ARTIST>>ALBUM>>TRACK. It just seems to be the way the M3 works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back