FiiO M23, AK4191EQ+AK4499EX, THX AAA-78+, Dual Type-C Ports, Dual-Core Fast Charging, 1000mW+1000mW @32Ω
May 13, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #316 of 370
So far I have tested 4 units of M23 (two at Canjam SG - alu and SS, my personal unit, and a friend's unit), they all do not exhibit the issue described in the video. I doubt it is a widespread issue, but I'd be interested to know what's the cause though.
Just chiming in to state that I have not experienced this on my unit either (which I purchased with my own money, for the avoidance of doubt). Just speculating as I didn’t watch the whole video to see if this was discussed, but could it be caused by a microSD card that doesn’t meet the speed requirements?

May 13, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #318 of 370
Just chiming in to state that I have not experienced this on my unit either (which I purchased with my own money, for the avoidance of doubt). Just speculating as I didn’t watch the whole video to see if this was discussed, but could it be caused by a microSD card that doesn’t meet the speed requirements?
or maybe two android applications clashed

May 13, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #320 of 370
Can you compare the m23 and the m15s sound wise ? Downgrade or sidegrade ?
I will. Need to copy some files into the m15s memory first because I put my sdcard into the m23 😅
I will use the m23 as a source only (the hifiman needs a proper amp, daps can’t drive it to its full potential)

May 13, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #321 of 370
Hello guys.
I just received my m23. The plan was to replace my Fiio M15s because of the issue I have with my new desktop amp : I can no longer use the desktop mode AND send music files to my external Amp/DAP with an usbc splitter.
So the M23 is working as expected with its double usbc. Now I can use desktop and also send music. Great!
Only one thing : with the m15s, I had the control of the volume while sending the files to the Amp/DAC. Now I can’t with the m23. Volume is the same whatever volume I have on the m23. And it was not the plan 😅
Any idea @FiiO ? An option to activate maybe?
I notice I also dont have access to the PEQ with the m23 (I can modify frequencies but you can’t hear any difference). So I guess the m23 is sending the files straight from the sd card. And it means the m15s is modifying the files in some ways. In what ways, I really don’t know.

May 13, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #322 of 370
Not to dogpile but I think the complaint narrative in the video is nonsense. From the video, he was loading the Apple music app and since the M23 isn't connected via cellular, he may have been piggybacking a wifi connection (so latency could be a factor). If the content was downloaded, he didn't say/show if he was connecting to a playlist or his library but if the playlist is sufficiently sized (1000+ tracks) there will be some latency while the content is loaded before all of the information is displayed. He also didn't comment if the files were lossless or some other quality level as that will have an impact as well. I have seen this "issue" (but isn't really an issue) on my Fiio devices, Shanling devices and iPhone's as well. As you pointed out, the speed of the microSD can either improve or exacerbate the delay. I don't think that this is an Apple Music issue either as I have encountered the same daleys on equally large playlists through Amazon Music and Qobuz.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #323 of 370
Not to dogpile but I think the complaint narrative in the video is nonsense. From the video, he was loading the Apple music app and since the M23 isn't connected via cellular, he may have been piggybacking a wifi connection (so latency could be a factor). If the content was downloaded, he didn't say/show if he was connecting to a playlist or his library but if the playlist is sufficiently sized (1000+ tracks) there will be some latency while the content is loaded before all of the information is displayed. He also didn't comment if the files were lossless or some other quality level as that will have an impact as well. I have seen this "issue" (but isn't really an issue) on my Fiio devices, Shanling devices and iPhone's as well. As you pointed out, the speed of the microSD can either improve or exacerbate the delay. I don't think that this is an Apple Music issue either as I have encountered the same daleys on equally large playlists through Amazon Music and Qobuz.

He actually said that it happened with several music services, from downloads and from the SD card.

It seems very unlikely a brand new FiiO or any other brand DAP would work that badly across all sources, one has to wonder about the motivation behind the video.

I looked at another 'rant' video of his about the M11S where he quite literally talked (complained) for 14 minutes about it not coming with a 3.5mm to female RCA coaxial cable because that was a big deal for him in his car audio application.

May 13, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #324 of 370
He actually said that it happened with several music services, from downloads and from the SD card.

It seems very unlikely a brand new FiiO or any other brand DAP would work that badly across all sources, one has to wonder about the motivation behind the video.

I looked at another 'rant' video of his about the M11S where he quite literally talked (complained) for 14 minutes about it not coming with a 3.5mm to female RCA coaxial cable because that was a big deal for him in his car audio application.
At 5:51 what about the "stutter" thing ?

May 13, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #327 of 370
Hello guys.
I just received my m23. The plan was to replace my Fiio M15s because of the issue I have with my new desktop amp : I can no longer use the desktop mode AND send music files to my external Amp/DAP with an usbc splitter.
So the M23 is working as expected with its double usbc. Now I can use desktop and also send music. Great!
Only one thing : with the m15s, I had the control of the volume while sending the files to the Amp/DAC. Now I can’t with the m23. Volume is the same whatever volume I have on the m23. And it was not the plan 😅
Any idea @FiiO ? An option to activate maybe?
Dear friend,

Hi, please check whether you have enabled the max volume lock option from USB output option in the FiiO Music APP?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 14, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #330 of 370
Hello everyone,
I just got a brand new M23 yesterday and was quite happy to test it but I noticed something right away that worries me.

On my unit physical volume buttons seems "hard" to push and I can't really feel or hear it clicking much, especially volume minus key.
At first it seemed totally not working, so today I went back to the store and the guy there pointed that if I press harder that I would have in the first place ... it works.
From what I can see, it does look correctly fitted and the volume tactile panel works.

I quickly compared with their demo unit (probably from the same batch since it just got released) and yes it's definitely harder to press that I would expect, altough maybe not as much as mine.

For comparison I also own a M11 Plus ESS and it's very different, it requires a light press that you can feel and hear clearly.

Howerver I'm suprised that nobody mentionned it, so I'm wondering if there's really something wrong with mine (or the batch shipped to the retailer).
IDK why but I don't feel comfortable with it ...

For those who already received one, how is yours ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back