[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 17, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #5,086 of 5,703
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #5,087 of 5,703
Question to those who have tried various DC power solutions to the FiiO M17; what would you pick of the following for best pairing?

I am liking the price of the PL50, it was designed by FiiO's sister brand Jade Audio (same peeps behind the DK3 and DK3S stands for the M17), and can switch between 12v and 15v, which I consider handy!
However, currently unavailable in the UK, but can be pre-ordered from Advanced Players Ltd (aka Advanced MP3 Players).
Cost: £134.99

The iPower Elite has been well lauded, and even used by Soundnews's Sandu Vitalie on his review of the M17.
Unfortunately, each iPower Elite must be purchased for specific voltage needs, so 12v in this case. That loses a little ground for me for longevity in case I stop/upgrade from M17 in the future and that future device has different voltage needs...
Also, its expensive 😕
Cost: £299.99

Shargeek Storm2 was on my mind a few years back, but I completely forgot about it until I saw posts above 🤣
I will still use my awesome Elecjet X21 GaN Pro for daily phone use and how awesome it is transportable, so the Storm2 would likely be solely used for the M17, but can double-up as an emergency work laptop/personal laptop power solution on rare occasions.
Cost: £208.00 approximately, excluding potential UK HMRC custom charges.

What would peeps be recommendation?
(I think the PL50 is more than sufficient by the way, especially considering costs, but I am still interested in opinions!).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #5,088 of 5,703
Question to those who have tried various DC power solutions to the FiiO M17; what would you pick of the following for best pairing?

I am liking the price of the PL50, it was designed by FiiO's sister brand Jade Audio (same peeps behind the DK3 and DK3S stands for the M17), and can switch between 12v and 15v, which I consider handy!
However, currently unavailable in the UK, but can be pre-ordered from Advanced Players Ltd (aka Advanced MP3 Players).
Cost: £134.99

The iPower Elite has been well lauded, and even used by Soundnews's Sandu Vitalie on his review of the M17.
Unfortunately, each iPower Elite must be purchased for specific voltage needs, so 12v in this case. That loses a little ground for me for longevity in case I stop/upgrade from M17 in the future and that future device has different voltage needs...
Also, its expensive 😕
Cost: £299.99

Shargeek Storm2 was on my mind a few years back, but I completely forgot about it until I saw posts above 🤣
I will still use my awesome Elecjet X21 GaN Pro for daily phone use and how awesome it is transportable, so the Storm2 would likely be solely used for the M17, but can double-up as an emergency work laptop/personal laptop power solution on rare occasions.
Cost: £208.00 approximately, excluding potential UK HMRC custom charges.

What would peeps be recommendation?
(I think the PL50 is more than sufficient by the way, especially considering costs, but I am still interested in opinions!).
I have the PL50 and really like it. My only gripe is that the DC cord is a bit short. For the money, it’s hard to beat!

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #5,090 of 5,703
I have the PL50 and really like it. My only gripe is that the DC cord is a bit short. For the money, it’s hard to beat!
That's great, and I could always replace the cable for longer (which would be necessary for me)! 😃

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #5,091 of 5,703
I am using the FiiO PL50 and the Burson Super charger.
Interesting on the Burson; which amp version, 3A or 5A? 🤔
Also, which do you prefer with the M17?

However, in my case, if I'm paying that much, I'd get the iFi Audio iPower Elite instead. Again, personal preference.

I'm just weighing up on how much should I spend to give the M17 a tad more performance, and I just can't argue against the FiiO PL50; seems like a steal and a synergistic pairing personally!

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #5,093 of 5,703
Interesting on the Burson; which amp version, 3A or 5A? 🤔
Also, which do you prefer with the M17?

However, in my case, if I'm paying that much, I'd get the iFi Audio iPower Elite instead. Again, personal preference.

I'm just weighing up on how much should I spend to give the M17 a tad more performance, and I just can't argue against the FiiO PL50; seems like a steal and a synergistic pairing personally!
It is the 3A version and I don't have a preference.
I have the FiiO hooked to the M17 and the Burson to another DAC.

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #5,094 of 5,703
Very nice combination..

Fiio M17(Roon Ready)+PL50+Cayin C9(Class A+Valves)+Hedd.. :gs1000smile:

DC0F6994-9405-4381-981B-C324E1A890BF.jpeg

best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #5,095 of 5,703
Has anyone found a longer DC cord for the PL50?

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #5,096 of 5,703
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #5,097 of 5,703
For what it's worth, I picked up a Shargeek Storm 2 and the DC out works great with the M17 (and all my other stuff that needs charging):
you're giving my buyer's remorse. Haha. I have seen it; I did like that. But I think i passed it by as I didnt see immediatly how to manually set the voltage; but did see that in a Q&A on Amazon today. Much newer tech and a lot of monitoring too. So what kind of time does that give you with normal if not loud listening with the M17?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #5,098 of 5,703
you're giving my buyer's remorse. Haha. I have seen it; I did like that. But I think i passed it by as I didnt see immediatly how to manually set the voltage; but did see that in a Q&A on Amazon today. Much newer tech and a lot of monitoring too. So what kind of time does that give you with normal if not loud listening with the M17?

On Friday I went through ~13% of the battery in about an hour of listening at normal volume.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #5,099 of 5,703
I cannot say how one person's unfortunate experiences are against other owners, nor if this one case throws caution against the PL50. However, I still wished to post it here some feedback from an owner; this was via a side convo on Reddit on a different post, and a reply to me:
SmartSelect_20230219_093945_Reddit.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #5,100 of 5,703
On Friday I went through ~13% of the battery in about an hour of listening at normal volume.
@e-dub, I implore you that, when you have the time, to please write a post about your experiences using the Shargeek Storm2 with the FiiO M17, and compare against the standard power supply.

Please include pretty pics if you wish!

However, more importantly are pros and cons too, from what settings you used on the Storm2, heat generation, approximately longevity of using the battery power bank to the M17 (how much time a user can expect to run before the Storm2 requires charging), if you have charged the battery bank simultaneously it powering the M17, if you charge multiple devices and the M17 together or just both standalone, etc.

Basically, a review of these two awesome products! 😃

Of course, you do not need to, but should you find the time, I'm sure we all would enjoy reading your feedback! 🎧😊🤘🏽

I'm now tossing up going all out for either the iFi iPower Elite or the Shargeek Storm2, with the latter having more versatility, thus potentially a better buy, but of course battery power banks have their own quirks to consider too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back