FiiO E7 Review
Jun 3, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 79
for 85 bucks i'm seriously considering this.  once i start work this summer.  just to clarify, i can hook it up to my laptop via a usb cable (like the above picture) and use it as an amp?  amazing.  haha.  i'm so easily impressed.  i think it'll pair nicely with my ck10s.

if someone with ck10s could be as nice as to detail what exactly it does to them :) aside from turning up the volume slightly.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #18 of 79

Quote:
for 85 bucks i'm seriously considering this.  once i start work this summer.  just to clarify, i can hook it up to my laptop via a usb cable (like the above picture) and use it as an amp?  amazing.  haha.  i'm so easily impressed.  i think it'll pair nicely with my ck10s.

if someone with ck10s could be as nice as to detail what exactly it does to them :) aside from turning up the volume slightly.

Much the same as with the ER-4P : they sound quite similar to my ears.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 79

Quote:
While the E7 is a relatively inexpensive amplifier, its price tag expected in the region of $85

I believe you are right. Mp4Nation just started selling them for that with a free cable: http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_45&products_id=404

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #20 of 79

Quote:
I know that the E7 doesn't yet have a proper line out to use it strictly as a DAC, but I was wondering if it'd be possible to use its headphone out in the meanwhile to feed to another amp w/o too much much compromise in SQ? and if so, what volume setting would be best?

thanks! :)

As James from FiiO mentioend, a LOD cable is coming for the E7.  Until then, if you want to use the Headphone out as a "line out", Do the following:

Take your amplification device and connect a normal line-level out source to it. Adjust the amplification device to a comfortable listening level.  Now remove the line-level source and connect the E7's headphone jack to it - start the volume out at 0. Increase the volume output on the E7 until you arrive at about the same comfortable listening level.  If you want to be exact, you can try switching back and forth a few times.

I used the E7 to drive a tube amp I have in my 2-channel listening room and went through the above proceedure to make sure I was supplying a safe/reasonable input level.

Jack

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #22 of 79
hmm, what do you guys think of bestofferbuy.com?  $79.60 with free shipping..  apparently its not good.  i wouldn't be surprised if someone on this site wrote one of the reviews on resellerratings..  they too bought an e7.  haha.  i guess micca is the way to go.  i can get a L1 lod too.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #24 of 79
dfkt seemed to think it drove the HD650s fairly well. I didn't get to try it with anything particularly demanding.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 79
I use the E7 to drive headphones as high as the DT990/600. Even there, it delivers a good amount of volume for normal listening. Those who frequently listen to their music in a "spirited" manner may wish for an additional 6 to 10 dB of volume. This does depend on the source too, as some devices such as the Teclast T51 on "Normal" EQ has such a hot line-out signal that it can drive the E7's to a higher output level than if the E7 played through its own USB DAC. However, the consequence is that some bassy pop songs will be over driven into distortion.

HD650 has no problems with the E7 regardless given its higher efficiency and lower impedance.

Jack

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #26 of 79
Had a quick listen with this using a LOD in a headphone shop yesterday. They sounded pretty nice with my MTPC, this is my first time trying out an amp though. It gave body to the mids of the coppers and the bass sounded a bit more impactful and bodied. Still deciding on whether should i get it or not hmm...

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #27 of 79
Looks like the new iphone 4g imo, well a bit lol.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #28 of 79
Quote:
Those who frequently listen to their music in a "spirited" manner may wish for an additional 6 to 10 dB of volume.

I just received my E7 yesterday.
After listening at max volume for a bit on my K702s, I was enjoying how they sounded and the volume was good enough for semi-focused listening, but I felt a little disappointed as it was missing that extra 'Umph' in volume where the music completely saturates your consciousness.

I figured there must be some way to increase the output from my computer and after finding nothing in the windows sound settings I went into foobar2000's settings and found a convenient option to increase the pre-amp gain.
After adjusting the gain by +5 I found my ideal intensive listening volume at 55/60.

I think I might actually survive the wait for my Headstage Arrow
beyersmile.png

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 79
Yea, when I use the E-MU 0404 to drive the E7, I have to dial back the main output level because the E-MU 0404 is a pro audio device and the output is quite a bit hotter than consumer line level signal. But I can definitely dial in more output from the E7 than playing directly from the USB DAC.  Though the +gain in the Foobar2000 is worth a look.  I've always wondered about such "pre amp boost" features in media players - exactly what is it doing?  I am always afraid that doing so inadvertently causes clipping when high volume signal is played.

Curiously, the headphone out on my Logitec ZX-2300 computer speaker can drive the DT990/600 at least 10dB louder than the headphone output on the E-MU 0404.

I for one will be glad to try the new FiiO E9 - Over 1 watt of power per channel!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jack

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #30 of 79

Quote:
Yea, when I use the E-MU 0404 to drive the E7, I have to dial back the main output level because the E-MU 0404 is a pro audio device and the output is quite a bit hotter than consumer line level signal. But I can definitely dial in more output from the E7 than playing directly from the USB DAC.  Though the +gain in the Foobar2000 is worth a look.  I've always wondered about such "pre amp boost" features in media players - exactly what is it doing?  I am always afraid that doing so inadvertently causes clipping when high volume signal is played.

Curiously, the headphone out on my Logitec ZX-2300 computer speaker can drive the DT990/600 at least 10dB louder than the headphone output on the E-MU 0404.

I for one will be glad to try the new FiiO E9 - Over 1 watt of power per channel!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jack

Hey Jack, where did you get the info on the E9 from? Can you tell us more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back