FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Apr 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #1,351 of 1,737
i think the e5 does a great job of bringing out more details and adding body to my music, i notice it more with my ultrasones although they pair very well with the px100s as well.
btw with the cowon d2 i find it works better with the fiio volume a max and the cowon at whatever (maybe 26 with my older ears) although cowon dont advise this to mimic a line out (they say d2 vol at 48 is it?) i also find if you turn on your player first then the e5 this eliminates any pops.
on the downside its got me very interested in trying out higher end amps ,where does the spending end
normal_smile .gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #1,352 of 1,737
Received my fiio e5 today. My first impression so far is great. Definately a sound improvement from Ipod touch 2nd gen, iriver and small creative zen stone. Details are more present in sound, and there's a small noticeable difference (that's with Grado SR80). Difference in sound is bigger using Koss KSC75.

Using the Fiio E5 on a macbook pro is no go. The sound output from my macbook pro seems to be already loud enough. Plugging the fiio e5 on the macbook pro with grado sr80, I must lower the volume on fiio to almost 0 or otherwise Im hearing hiss and cracking noise. I tried lowering output volume from the mac, but even then, I didnt get better results.

I was expecting some cheap box with poor written instruction and name on it. Excellent build quality, I was surprised by the packaging it came in, wow, chinese quality standard improved. Amazing little amp for mp3 player.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #1,353 of 1,737
i received my e5 today and im suprised how clean the soundfloor is using se530's, i expected pure hiss but its pleasntly clean when music is going, only really hisses when no music plays and your crank it up, i can deal with that.

as for the sound, its very good, the bass boost function works nicely giving a good full sound that my cowon D2 just didnt give, it was always thin and uninvolving, now with this sweet little amp i am getting a strong believeable sound, right now im listening to T.I my swag, and its pushing my shures to full potential for a change!!

i also tried the amp on my Acer 5920g and the bass is even stronger, a little too strong, no distortion noticeable but its a little too much, gonna watch a film with it later tho i imagine the big bass will bring a good movie to life.

lots of people seem to think this amp is weak when paired with very sensitive earphones but if you want more thump in your low end for nice and cheap this does it nicely. hiss isnt a problem at all really, no more than a standard cowon d2 for example.

May 3, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,355 of 1,737
Hey I got a question for all you E5 owning people. I got mine a week ago (made literally at end of March) and I've been having a hard time telling any difference between normal and bass boost EQ modes. In the past couple of days I noticed that when I push the EQ slider in the center in between the two supposed nodes it sounds as if it's doing the normal amplification (as according to some of the frequency response graphs I've seen here), where as in bass boost or normal mode position they sound virtually the same and the highs are some what more distant?!? Do you guys have the same issue with your E5?

May 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,356 of 1,737
The bass boost is quite noticeable for me. Are you saying that you move the slider into the middle?

May 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #1,358 of 1,737
I hooked it up to my sound card and measured the frequency response for on and off as well as the center, looks like when it's in the middle it's just doing a +3 db boost with some major spiking in the mids, while with the bass boost on it does match ClieOS' graphs.

So bottom line is... I guess I just don't hear much difference with RE2, of course there's the slight issue of my source being questionable as well

May 11, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #1,361 of 1,737
sounds great with mine
smily_headphones1.gif

The hd55s also sound great without it.

May 11, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #1,362 of 1,737
I use mine with my clip and klipsch x5s the sound is much improved the is a openness to the sound that just was not there before.
Also the x5 battery life is killer 8+ hours and even a slight change in sound quality..

Over all I am very impressed

May 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #1,365 of 1,737
I still have my sample around, and it is still working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back