FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Apr 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,726 of 1,737
I just got the FiiO E5 and I have some really stupid questions, in list form:

1. I'm using the E5 with my Audio-Technica ATH-A700s, which have a frequency response of 5Hz-35000Hz. According to its specs, the E5 has a frequency response of 10Hz-100KHz. What will happen to the frequencies of 5Hz-9Hz?

2. I've noticed that, of the two provided, the shorter 3.5mm M/M cable with the L-bend at one end sounds better than the longer, straight straight cable (i.e. less hissing and interference). Is it feasible that getting a higher-quality 3.5mm M/M cable would decrease hissing at higher volumes even more, or am I just crazy/stupid?

I would also like to add that my E5 doesn't have the mystical "third setting." Disappointing.

Edit: Did some fiddling with the E5 and figured out that when turning up the volume all the way on my computer and using the E5 to control the volume (instead of doing it the other way around like I was previously), there is no audible hissing unless I turn the E5 up almost all the way, which disintegrates my eardrums. I can get a comfortable listening level after about 10 presses of the Vol+ button, and destroy my ears with about 18. Before, I had to press the Vol+ button 26 times to get a comfortable volume and 34 times to make my ears melt, and there was audible hissing throughout.

Even with that being said, I would still like to know if a higher-quality 3.5mm M/M cable would make any difference in sound quality.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,727 of 1,737

Quote:
1. I'm using the E5 with my Audio-Technica ATH-A700s, which have a frequency response of 5Hz-35000Hz. According to its specs, the E5 has a frequency response of 10Hz-100KHz. What will happen to the frequencies of 5Hz-9Hz?

Headphone spec are generally misleading and useless, so don't put too much stock on it.

2. I've noticed that, of the two provided, the shorter 3.5mm M/M cable with the L-bend at one end sounds better than the longer, straight straight cable (i.e. less hissing and interference). Is it feasible that getting a higher-quality 3.5mm M/M cable would decrease hissing at higher volumes even more, or am I just crazy/stupid?

I am not a big cable fan, so I really don't think spending big money on cable really will change much for you, especially considering you are only using an E5. Save the money for future upgrade.

Answered in bold. Welcome to HF.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,728 of 1,737

Quote:
Ah, I see... UE10, as you've written above, is something rather different than the TF10. I think they're discontinued now, replaced by the UE Reference. 

Just for clarification the two are not related.  UE10 is two bass drivers in parallel and one tweeter.  IERM is one high, one mid, one low.  Tuning of the baseline IERM signature was supposedly done at that concrete sound bunker under Capitol records.  Supposedly.  It is very revealing I will say.  Back to the E5.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,729 of 1,737

Quote:
Answered in bold. Welcome to HF.

Thanks for the quick answer and hospitality. :)

I've decided to return the E5 to get an E7. The way I had the E5 set up was ATH A700s connected to E5 > Stock input cable connected to USB dongle from old Gamecom 777s > USB slot on computer/laptop. That sounds confusing.

Basically, it was a mess with wires everywhere and I'm sure a measurable amount of detail was lost because of how it was set up. With the E7, I can simply connect the headphones to the E7 and connect the E7 to my computer with the USB cable. I would like to get an E9 or a similar desktop amp but that would really be pushing my already low budget, and I have no need for optical or speaker connections and whatnot.

May 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #1,730 of 1,737
I definitely noticed an improvement in sound quality with my UE Triple.fi 10's + E5 + LOD + iPod. I'll let you guys know whether the UM3X responds in a similar manner when they arrive (should be on Tuesday or Wednesday).

May 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #1,731 of 1,737

Quote:
I definitely noticed an improvement in sound quality with my UE Triple.fi 10's + E5 + LOD + iPod. 

That's good to know, I should be getting an E5 shortly (told my brother for my birthday 
smily_headphones1.gif
), since I would be doing the same thing minus the LOD. Are you using one of the Fiio LODs or something else?

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,733 of 1,737
Took the screw out, and the clip will be forced out by the spring underneath (be careful not to lose the spring). Then you need to force it to either slider out from the top or bottom.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #1,734 of 1,737
I recently got the FiiO E5 for amplifiying my mobile phone headset output before entering the car AUX Input. I would like to make this solution more permanent and put the E5 behind the dash, to be on and powered and on maximum volume when the ignition is on.

Is there anyway of modifying it for this? ON Button has short press and long press and what happens when it's completely discharged?

May 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,736 of 1,737
Any kind soul can tell me which Ipod Shuffle battery does the E5 uses?

My E5 battery needs to be replaced as it depletes after few minutes. I can't put it on usb charge as it gets full in few minutes and start giving me the hissing sound when on charge.

I just need to know exactly which generation of Ipod Shuffle battery it uses.

Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,737 of 1,737
The E5 should remember the volume you have set it to after you power it off and on again.

When the battery is totally depleted, after you plug in the power and turn it on, by default it's volume will be turned to the max so those using earphones beware and tune the volume down before you plug in the earphone so you don't spoil them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back